Was this dangerous?

Options
Within the last 40 minutes I drank two full 16.9 oz water bottles. I didn't really mean to-- I wasn't paying attention. I heard it was dangerous to drink too much water. Was two bottles in an hour bad?

Replies

• elicederoos
    Options
    not if you were thirsty
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    If you can clearly read this post and respond I would say your fine...But this is not a medical site.
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    Nope, I do it all the time. Don't attempt to keep drinking water if you're not thirsty, though. Trust me, your body will let you know if you're overhydrated 'cause you'll get some serious diarrhea.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Don't worry.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    That little bit of water? It was infinitely more dangerous to actually put this post up...
  • nellypantoja3
    Options
    i do it all the time! i think its important to listen to your body if you feel ok then there is no need to worry.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Too much water can be bad, yes. But the definition is "too much water" is a huge, huge amount, far more than a regular person would drink in normal circumstances without forcing themselves.

I drink upwards of 200 oz of water a day. Often 40-50 oz within a few minutes.

Water toxicity has pretty much only been a cause of death in extenuating circumstances - people on drugs, in intensive and long running physical exertion, or being fed water by force.

• Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    This is why I NEVER drink pure water. Far to dangerous. You should always add something to it.
    Then it wouldn't be water.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    The original question cannot be legit....
  • blackcrossknight
    blackcrossknight Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Water intoxication is when you take in to much water, but I'm sure you'd know if you had. Its when you drink to much, and you pretty much drown your brain or something like that because your skin and the like can no longer hold any extra water. (I cant remember the actual details) It's pretty hard to do if you're not actually trying to accomplish it. If you can inhale four or five gallons really quick, only then should you really be worried. For an hour, that amount? No.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    bluecat145 wrote: »
    Within the last 40 minutes I drank two full 16.9 oz water bottles. I didn't really mean to-- I wasn't paying attention. I heard it was dangerous to drink too much water. Was two bottles in an hour bad?

Probably not. I do it all the time.

To be fair to the OP, it is right to assume that too much water can be bad for you. And excessive thirst could be a sign of something, certainly (although if you're really active - as is my case - you may drink a lot of water, anyway). So, it's very possible that the question is legit.

OP, normally when I drink 16 oz in a short time, the only effects I experience is a bad need to urinate and - occasionally - an upset stomach.
  • Pupslice
    Pupslice Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    That little bit of water? It was infinitely more dangerous to actually put this post up...

lmao mte
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    bluecat we can't help you. This isn't a medical site. If you aren't sure see/talk to a professional.
  • blackcrossknight
    blackcrossknight Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    Water intoxication is when you take in to much water, but I'm sure you'd know if you had. Its when you drink to much, and you pretty much drown your brain or something like that because your skin and the like can no longer hold any extra water. (I cant remember the actual details) It's pretty hard to do if you're not actually trying to accomplish it. If you can inhale four or five gallons really quick, only then should you really be worried. For an hour, that amount? No.

This sounds legit

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/strange-but-true-drinking-too-much-water-can-kill/ It's a legitimate thing, I just haven't cared enough to look to much into it. Like I said, I can't actually remember the details. All of what I said aside from the dying over too much water, could be false details lol.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    One time I drank 8 glasses of water within an hour. I threw up. I lived.

But I'm not a doctor.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Without a toilet close, very dangerous.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    No one will willingly drink that much water to get water intoxication. You need to drink gallons upon gallons in a short amount of time.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Water intoxication is when you take in to (sic) much water, but I'm sure you'd know if you had. Its when you drink to (sic) much, and you pretty much drown your brain or something like that because your skin and the like can no longer hold any extra water. (I cant (sic) remember the actual details) It's pretty hard to do if you're not actually trying to accomplish it.
    It's when a person drinks so much water that they disturb the electrolyte balance of the body... which leads to things like irregular heartbeat (muscle contraction needs sodium & calcium).
    It takes a LOT of water. Has nothing to do with "drowning your brain".
    And it can be done completely accidentally. I have a cousin who managed it, landed himself in the hospital with seizures & passed out, was in ICU for several days.

FWIW, a similar effect (though from the opposite pole) happens when someone chugs soy sauce & gets too much sodium. Yes, there are people stupid enough to do it on a dare.
    PLEASE tell your kids they should NEVER do it!! People have died from it.
    Flavoring food, good. Chugging massive amounts (like a bottle), bad, probably deadly.

51637601.png