How often to do lifting workouts?

Options
Hi all,

I am just getting into heavier weight workouts-- I just started last week. I have read (in NROLFW) that one should do a workout at least twice a week to see results, but have often heard it's better to do 3-4 workouts a week.

I am wondering a few things: would those who lift regularly agree that some results can be seen from weight workouts done 2x a week? If so, about how long it would take to notice results? I am still trying to lose some fat/weight so am at a small deficit right now, and I run or do other cardio several days a week.

And, would more often than 2x a week be better? Might, say, 3x a week allow me to get stronger and have nicer muscles more quickly? (I do understand that "nicer muscles" will be newbie gains only, in the near future-- if I see any at all--since I am eating at a deficit right now).

I have to admit I find cardio (outdoors) way more enjoyable than lifting, which is why I'm wondering if 2x a week is enough, as I get very bored working out indoors. I do want to get stronger and start the body recomposition process, though, which I why I have started doing weights.

OK, I think that's all. Thanks!

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I can't really imagine being SATISFIED with twice a week but I don't know. Some of the more experienced lifters on here will give you better answers. My opinion would be-it's better than nothing, if you're doing it right. But, 3-4 would be best.

I'm interested in hearing what others think on this.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    So, you can't really imagine being satisfied with twice a week because you really enjoy lifting? Or because your body wants to do it? Or both? I'm curious to hear why. :) (I do find that my body gets to craving certain types of exercise after a few times of doing whatever the exercise is, but ughh working out indoors is unexciting to me) :confused: oh dear, probably should not admit that here. . . .
  • GracieB5
    GracieB5 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    To make progress and get results out of an exercise program, and weights in particular, is to vary your efforts. Ususually people take that to mean light-heavy, or weights-cardio.
    But I think it can mean doing weights one day a week, while on another day doing non-weight calisthenics, or something else.
    I think you can do well by lifting weights only once a week. Doing another form of activity can be useful in helping you recuperate from your weight workout while exercising you muscles in a different way.
    Doing more might actually lead to over-training.
    More is not better.
    Doing your weight workout more correctly, continually perfecting your technique, making every rep count, wasting NO movement, is superior to doing more workouts.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Linnaea27 wrote: »
    So, you can't really imagine being satisfied with twice a week because you really enjoy lifting? Or because your body wants to do it? Or both? I'm curious to hear why. :) (I do find that my body gets to craving certain types of exercise after a few times of doing whatever the exercise is, but ughh working out indoors is unexciting to me) :confused: oh dear, probably should not admit that here. . . .

I wouldn't be satisfied physically or mentally. I do love doing it though, yes.
  • Linnaea27
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I wouldn't be satisfied physically or mentally. I do love doing it though, yes.

Thanks for the explanation!
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    If you want to get stronger, 3X per week allows most people to progress a decent pace leaving enough time for the muscles to recover and respond. If you train less frequently, progress might take longer unless your workout are just so damned intense that they require 3 days of recovery.
  • Linnaea27
    edited November 2014
    Options
    If you want to get stronger, 3X per week allows most people to progress a decent pace leaving enough time for the muscles to recover and respond. If you train less frequently, progress might take longer unless your workout are just so damned intense that they require 3 days of recovery.

Last week it certainly felt like I could only manage 2 workouts a week considering how sore I was. But that was just starting so of course I can't really judge on that! It certainly feels intense to me when I do a workout. Of course, I also spent a number of hours on a couple days last week digging large holes and hauling heavy cartfuls of manure in my garden, which felt like a good strength workout too. I suppose frequency of weight workouts might partially depend on whether I'm doing other activities that are highly strenuous to the muscles.
  • Praying
    Options
    Hi all,

I am just getting into heavier weight workouts-- I just started last week. I have read (in NROLFW) that one should do a workout at least twice a week to see results, but have often heard it's better to do 3-4 workouts a week.

I am wondering a few things: would those who lift regularly agree that some results can be seen from weight workouts done 2x a week? If so, about how long it would take to notice results? I am still trying to lose some fat/weight so am at a small deficit right now, and I run or do other cardio several days a week.

And, would more often than 2x a week be better? Might, say, 3x a week allow me to get stronger and have nicer muscles more quickly? (I do understand that "nicer muscles" will be newbie gains only, in the near future-- if I see any at all--since I am eating at a deficit right now).

I have to admit I find cardio (outdoors) way more enjoyable than lifting, which is why I'm wondering if 2x a week is enough, as I get very bored working out indoors. I do want to get stronger and start the body recomposition process, though, which I why I have started doing weights.

OK, I think that's all. Thanks!

I workout everyday, cardio and some weight training. I do see a personal trainer twice a week and those days are more weight intensive, though she always intersperses some form of cardio in the session. I have seen great results and am also eating at a deficit.

The key I think is to challenge yourself with the weights. The majority of women I see at the gym only lift very light weights, as if they are afraid of over developing, when as you know we will never develop like a man unless you are taking some form of supplements. The confidence I have developed through strength training has been great.

Bottom line to really see results I think you need more than twice a week and challenge yourself with the amount of weight you are lifting.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I lift twice per week and find that's enough for the goal I have. I think I've done ok maintaining muscle at a calorie deficit and have had some progress on strength. Not as much as I'd like but I have to work around arthritis and joint pain which is more the reason progress is slow and can go backwards...not because I go twice per week.

I'm not one for kamikaze cardio either..walking and bag is all I enjoy which I'm currently not doing due to injury and joints.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I try to get in as many days a week as possible. I never work the same muscle group two days in a row but if you work Shoulders/tris then back/core/bis, then chest/tris, then lowerbody/abs and repeat, you work each group about twice per week even if you were to go daily. I hope to get back into it as soon as the URI lifts.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Following! I was actually just wondering this today because I want to start doing weight training 2-3 days a week since I've been doing only cardio for the past 4 months.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I lift 3-4 days a week and play basketball (as cardio) on the 3-4 other days. You can lift every day as long as you don't work the same muscles twice in a row. Growth and strength occurs on days off, not during the lift.
  • Linnaea27
    Options
    Thank you everyone! It sounds like the consensus is to do weight training 3 days at least. I do definitely work with weights that are challenging for me-- though as I am just starting, I think I'm probably a little timid with anything over 30-40 lbs at the moment. Don't worry, I will increase the weights I use, but that's what I'm starting with. Maybe as I do more, I will enjoy it more and the habit will grow on me.
  • jstrun
    jstrun Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I follow the NROLFW program which is really suppose to be done 3 x week (Monday, Wednesday, Friday) they say no more, I am trusting in the book, so far doing it 3 days a week works well for me, i'm still only on stage 1 though and then it leaves me the weekends for my long runs. and tuesday and thursday i get my shorter runs in (10K)

Good luck!
  • Linnaea27
    Options
    jstrun wrote: »
    I follow the NROLFW program which is really suppose to be done 3 x week (Monday, Wednesday, Friday) they say no more, I am trusting in the book, so far doing it 3 days a week works well for me, i'm still only on stage 1 though and then it leaves me the weekends for my long runs. and tuesday and thursday i get my shorter runs in (10K)

Good luck!

Thank you! Your schedule sounds a lot like what I am trying to do. I love my long runs/long days of gardening on the weekend! I will try doing the Monday-Wednesday-Friday thing (starting tomorrow, I guess, as my schedule has been messed up this week) and see how that works. I was a little reluctant to do it every other day because for the couple days after lifting I am so terribly sore. But I suppose that will go away to some degree over time!

• loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Just finished stage 3 of NROL. I aim for 3 days of lifting per week, sometimes I only get 2 in. As you progress though the stages, the workouts become longer and more difficult. Stage 1 only has you in the weight room for 30 minutes, stage 3 is a little over an hour. I prefer doing a full body routine in one day rather than break up the upper and lower body over two days. But that's just me, I try to be efficient when I am at the gym. And remember what someone above said, you need the recovery days!
  • amcevers
    amcevers Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm still in stage 1 of NROL. I enjoy it so far and it almost doesn't seem like exercise to me. I know it gets more intense as you go along. I do 3 days a week as well but I go Saturday through Wed. due to my schedule. I, too, prefer working all my muscles at once rather than isolation exercises. Takes much less time.