Will you ever stop tracking your calories?

Options
I remember not too many months ago I was just a high school student who ate breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks without a care. I was overweight (6'1 205 at my heaviest). Over summer and currently I began tracking my calories and opting for healthier foods and now I've reached my goal weight (6'1 152) but I still find myself losing sleep over what I need to eat tomorrow so I don't go over my caloric intake. I wish I could just go back to not caring about the numbers you know? I've developed healthier eating habits but I still can't trust myself to not know how many calories are in what i'm eating. Anyone else have the same issue?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    When I realized that tracking intake had a negative effect on my eating habits and how I thought about food I stopped tracking.

I do think there are plenty of people who do not have any ill effects from tracking intake and for those people it's a great method.

If tracking DOES lead to some obsessive thoughts about food, or if it damages your relationship with food then I'd consider alternative options to weight management.
  • Reflextion
    Reflextion Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    too thin...
    Yeah 152 is leaning more on the lower side of "healthy" weight range for my height. I still have some body fat to lose though so I don't look as thin as you'd imagine
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I've been at my goal weight for two years and I still track my calories. But I do not lose any sleep over maintaining. Keep a calorie count is just part of my daily routine and it helps me stay accountable to myself. If you are obsessing over the numbers and losing sleep, you have NOT developed healthier eating habits.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I will eventually, because I kind of already know what I eat when it comes to calories and macro's. My logging is out of habit, and we'll just see how this plays out once I stop.
    If the weight starts to creep up, oh well!
    BACK TO LOGGING
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    After 10months of very, very precicsly weighing and logging everything, I've gotten really sick of it - it did start to take more control, I would choose food and amount for the sake of logging, rather than how much I actually wanted/needed, or what made sense in the context. Situations where I could not keep up my precise logging became less enjoyable, and I would stress about it a lot.

So I decided that my '10 month anniversay' would be the last day to use the food-scale, and then I would continue to log the 11th month, and then I planned to enter december log-free and at my goal weight - however, loosening up on my logging techniques for this 11th month has really proven to take pretty much all the stress out of it - I've missed a day, which I didn't care about, and I've estimated that the calories I might have under-logged at one meal, probably even out with others I've over-logged. So I might continue logging this way through maintance, until it sort of naturally phases out.
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    I doubt it. If I do I slowly gain. Currently I just log once a week. It's easy because I eat the same breakfasts and dinners weekly. That's what works for me. A combination of part-time logging and eating roughly the same stuff.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I don't log generally...actually, today is the first day I logged anything because I just wanted to do a spot check...but really, I've only logged a handful of times in the past 18 months plus.

I have developed a wealth of healthful habits and I have a healthy relationship with food and fitness...I don't need to log to maintain my weight or health...I just need to follow through with leading a healthful lifestyle and the rest pretty much takes care of itself.

For you, I'd say you just really need to get into the weight room and start re-comping...put on some muscle and stop trying to drop weight.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You bet!

As soon as I have a handle on what to eat to get what need, how much to eat...as soon as it has all come together and I feel a kind of mental click (which I'm getting closer to all the time, I think), I will be done with the counting.

I want to be healthy, not obsessive.

I also know that I I cannot rely on the counting. At some point, something would happen and I'd stop. If I cannot live my life without an app, I will eventually fail.

I have to be able to know how to eat and be healthy on my own.

That's the goal, anyway. :)

• beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I started out years ago, and would obsessively weigh/measure/count every single thing I consumed so I could be accurate in my calorie counting. I developed a disordered relationship with food, and have been struggling ever since.

Recently, I finally found the motivation to get back on track with losing weight and promised myself I wouldn't go crazy with calories again. I do track my food sometimes, but my food scale is gone and I don't freak out over how many calories are in something.

I totally get that calorie counting is a great tool for weight loss, but it can also become a problem. I definitely don't want to be counting calories for the rest of my life. Eventually you'll have to learn moderation and balance :)
  • mbailey423
    mbailey423 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'll stop at some point. For me it's really an eye opener as to proper portion size, and what the calories in foods are. I guarantee that I will keep the app tho
  • chouflour
    chouflour Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    For me, the defining habit for weight loss/maintenance is daily weighing and recording. On the other hand, if I log too much, I get disordered eating habits. So I don't ever log for more than about 2 weeks at a time. If I'm having a problem, I'll log for a bit, get it straightened out and go back to not logging.

I'll occasionally pop a recipe in for analysis, or a meal/snack - just to see if it's reasonable/what a good portion is, but 90% of the time, that's all that shows up in my log.

I'm a very eclectic dieter these days though. Some days I do intermittent fasting (16/8, ADF), others I'm low carb, or low calorie, or two/three shakes and a sensible dinner (or a big dessert). It works for me and is sustainable, and that's really all I care about.
  • LeslieTSUK
    LeslieTSUK Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    For me I track to control my diabetes, and sodium levels to keep my BP under control, I guess i'm just used to it now after 3 years, but I only eat the foods i love and don't care if they so called healthy foods or processed foods, just as long as it works for my diabetes, and BP, so probably the reason why i'm enjoying planning my meals each day sometimes each week in advance.

Gives me something to look forward to each day and a structure.
  • 89Madeline
    89Madeline Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I think I would, once I'm at a my goal weight. I would keep weighing myself though, and if I notice I'm gaining weight or feel wrong, I'd go through my diet of the passed weeks and perhaps start logging again if I don't know where it's coming from.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Nope. I need tracking for sure. I'd probably end up just tracking in my head anyway, so might as well take the extra 5 minutes and make sure it's actually accurate.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I like tracking it makes me feel more in control