Silly Q re: 30 day shred

After no working out for 7 weeks (very sick), I started 30 day shred last night. I'm so sore I can barely move. Are those 30 days supposed to be consecutive or can you take a rest day now and then? :D

Replies

• Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Its meant to be consecutive, but I don't see why you couldn't take a rest day - you could always do it again as intended once you get through it the first time.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Good point. If I try to be all perfectionist about it the first time I'll feel like a failure if it doesn't work out exactly as planned. I think I'll take some Tylenol tonight, go for a long walk, and tackle day 2 tomorrow. Thanks :)
  • 0somuchbetter0
    I'm sure you're all anxiously awaiting an update...*snicker* I was a big girl and went ahead and did day 2 despite my soreness. I found that after I warmed up it wasn't so bad. Proud of me. :)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Jillian Michaels has said that she didn't intend for it to be 30 consecutive days. Take your rest days.
  • Poofersgrl
    Poofersgrl Posts: 161 Member
    I am doing the beginner 30 day shred and I love it. It just came out. Using 1lb weights.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    I wish I could *like* your posts. Thanks for answering!
  • arkowalyshyn
    arkowalyshyn Posts: 132 Member
    How is it meant to work? Do you repeat level 1 for a week and move n to 2 and so on? Or do you just keep going with the DVD after you finish 1?
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    Jillian Michaels has said that she didn't intend for it to be 30 consecutive days. Take your rest days.

Yep. She said it was intended for every other day but the advertising makes everyone think it's supposed to be EVERY day.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    I'm sure you can take rest days, if needed, but keep in mind that cardio and WARM stretching can help alleviate muscle soreness.
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    I did it last year with 6 consecutive days and 1 rest day. The soreness goes away around day 4. I am finishing it again right now, but this time I alternate between 30DS+20 minutes pilates and 45 minutes of cardio (running or spinning), with 1 rest day per week. Again, no soreness.. I think my cardio days help with soreness more than resting and more than pushing through with another day of 30DS.

It still works for me this way.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    When I was doing that, I went M/W/F and still showed results. That's a great workout!
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    I did it 30 consecutive days. Only lost 3 lbs. will never do it again. take rest days.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    I'm going to try to do 30 days of level 1 with occasional rest days (per your advice), then 30 days of level 2, then 30 days of level 3. By the time I'm done it should be spring and I can start running outside again. :)
  • 0somuchbetter0
    I did it 30 consecutive days. Only lost 3 lbs. will never do it again. take rest days.

Exercise doesn't make you lose weight, eating fewer calories than you burn does.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    jvs125 wrote: »
    I did it last year with 6 consecutive days and 1 rest day. The soreness goes away around day 4. I am finishing it again right now, but this time I alternate between 30DS+20 minutes pilates and 45 minutes of cardio (running or spinning), with 1 rest day per week. Again, no soreness.. I think my cardio days help with soreness more than resting and more than pushing through with another day of 30DS.

It still works for me this way.

I think the soreness will go away in a few days. I was in relatively good shape before pneumonia knocked me out for 7 weeks, so I'm hoping it won't take terribly long to get back up to speed.
  • Jesslynroe
    Jesslynroe Posts: 9 Member
    I just started day one today. I've done it in the past and saw results. I have a hard time with exercise in general because of daily migraines but I'm just gonna force myself to get it over with first thing in the morning. These migraines have caused me to gain weight over time and enough is enough. If exercise supposedly supposed to help then I just need that initial motivation. Please feel free to friend me. We can encourage each other. ♥
  • Poofersgrl
    Poofersgrl Posts: 161 Member
    I am going to mix mine up. I am doing the beginner shred, and going to mix up workout 1 with workout 2 and see how that goes. You get bored otherwise =)
  • lexbubbles
    lexbubbles Posts: 465 Member
    Whenever I do it, I do 5 on 1 off so it takes 35 days to complete the whole thing.

So
    1-5: level 1
    6: rest
    7-11: level 1
    12: rest

13-17: level 2
    18: rest
    19-23: level 2
    24: rest

25-29: level 3
    30: rest
    31-35: level 3

How is it meant to work? Do you repeat level 1 for a week and move n to 2 and so on? Or do you just keep going with the DVD after you finish 1?

You do level 1 for 10 days, level 2 for 10 days, and level 3 for 10 days. As I said above, I did each level in 2 5-day bursts as it's a neat-and-tidy way to fit in rest days.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    I woke up super early today, as I tend to do (stress!) and figured why not get it done first thing in the morning? And you know, it wasn't so bad! 30 Day Shred at 5:00 am! :) We'll see how I feel around 9:00 tonight. LOL
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    I did 30ds over the summer and found it really improved my cardio vascular fitness. I did two or three days in a row then took a rest day (where I did running or cross trainer). I did level 1 ten times, then level 2 ten times, then level 3 ten times. It took me nearly 3 months to finish it but I wasn't in pain at any point.