How to run if fat?

Options
I'm really fat, and was wondering f there were ways I can run longer distances without getting winded so fast?

Replies

• s011daw
    s011daw Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It takes time! I did the couch to 5k and that helped build my stamina while running. You alternate running and walking. Good luck!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,513 Member
    Options
    I settle for walking moderately briskly. I can do 3 miles at about 17:30min/mile or better. Today i did 2.23 miles at a 17:01 pace, then later 1.56 miles at 16:30 pace (I walked somewhere, then home via a different route). For the record I am a 5'9", 282lb, 34yo woman.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    If you're really fat, it's bad for your body (way too much stress on your knees & feet from the pounding) to run.
    Walk. Walk faster. Walk for a long time. Find hills to walk up & down.
    As you lose weight, you can walk faster & longer, and eventually safely introduce short bursts of slow jogging (jog 30 seconds, walk 90).

51637601.png
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    Options
    It can be done! Here is a clip of a fat man running the 100m Olympic trials:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2COMAEgklM

Here is a 400lb sumo wrestler who runs marathons:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm07iPOl4ko

Just keep running and your fitness will improve. Of course as you lose weight, running will become easier
  • chouflour
    chouflour Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'm in the "don't run if you're too fat" camp. However, that may because I have bilateral meniscus damage from trying. ;)
  • Nery_Tay
    Nery_Tay Posts: 81 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm fat. I'll admit it. I'm training for a marathon and run currently most 4 miles. I would push myself to a goal. This goal would be from run to that certain tree and to run to the stop sign. If you need a break (jog) but don't forget to run once you feel you've recover to achieve the tiny goal. I suggest wearing a t-shirt and Shorts (basketball). Music is my friend when it comes to running. The thing is to NEVER say you can't do something. I will admit I cried the first time I finished 2 miles now onto 4 I cry even more. I highly suggest finding a local group that jogs/walks. My group is my motivation and so is my mind. Being my first mile 16 miles I can tell you jog the most comfortable right at the moment. You will progress and it will get better.
  • fallingken
    fallingken Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Start slow, walk. then walk further. Repeat. Increase distances and speed as your weight reduces and your fitness increases. If you can walk fast, then try jogging slowly. It will get easier with time. I suggest a yellow Labrador as a running companion too. They are great motivators. Once they figure out the routine, mine will keep bugging me until we go for the walk. In 1.5 years I have lost 80 lbs, and went from struggling to walk 3 km to running 8 km in an hour. I'm still fat, just not as much, and I am getting faster and lighter all the time.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Walking is great exercise.
  • justalittlecrazy
    justalittlecrazy Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    If you are starting from not exercising much, then start by walking. Do what you can and push yourself to go faster, longer, etc. When you have built up your endurance that way, then try a couch to 5k program. I am very overweight (131lbs to lose right now, 28 lbs down.) I have been walking 30- 50 miles per week, around 17- 18 minutes/mile, lots of hills. When I started off, I was doing 1-2 miles several times a week, completely flat, maybe 23-25 minute miles. I started a Couch to 5k 3 days ago, actually jogged about 2/3 of a mile yesterday and up hills today.. And even after all that walking with just a few days running, I can feel shin splints and other problems coming on. The sad fact is that if you are very overweight, it can take a very long time before your body is ready to run. Walking can be great exercise and will ultimately get you in shape for running. Hold yourself back and you will be happier in the long run. (Pun not intended... But hey, it is what it is!)
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    As others have said, build up a base by walking regularly, then add one minute of slow jogging every few minutes during your walk. If you are overweight it's important to wear good running shoes as these will help to protect your legs from impact and possible injuries. A running shop will measure you and chose running shoes that suit your weight and gait (how your foot strikes the ground when you run). Enjoy your running. :)
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    well.. if you want to run.. you won't be fat for long. You go!!!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    If you can comfortably walk for 30 minutes then you can reasonably use a Couch to 5Km plan to get to 30 minutes of continuous running.

Just follow the progression, learn good form and wear shoes that are appropriate for you and there shouldn't be any problems.

People that damage themselves push it too hard or try to run for too long before they're ready for it.

Search for the Couch to 5K group on here for some good advice and support.
  • RangedLunatic
    RangedLunatic Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I started this January with 3 minutes of jogging a day, in 3 bursts of 1 minute. By now I'm at 5km most day, about 25km a week. It really doesn't take long if you make sure to do at least some jogging every day.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    well.. if you want to run.. you won't be fat for long. You go!!!

not technically true... OP will long lose weigh if she's in a calorie deficit...
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Being able to run (and run longer distances) without getting winded is all about improving your cardiovascular health. Start at a speed that allows you to breathe and even carry on a conversation (but not sing). But that also feels a touch challenging. If that's 2 mph… fine. If it's 4 mph… fine. Start where you are! Over time… you'll find that speed feels easy to you. Gradually up your speed. Gradually up your distance. You'll be jogging in no time!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't - I'd walk, then interval walk faster, then walk faster and interval walk even faster

but I hate running, the concept of running, everything about running ... owww the shin splints

• galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Build up to it so start walking then add little bursts of a jog until you can run I would agree with knees so maybe ask a medical professional before you start they will advise you. Id be inclined to start on a treadmill as that takes some of the impact.
  • msmi1970
    msmi1970 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    gently...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You will build up your endurance as you go. Have you downloaded the C25K app?
  • dazwan
    dazwan Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Considering all the people saying walk don't run, would the OP be better off starting by maybe swimming until the weight comes down? low impact and a great all over workout.