How far can I get with 80s style fitness?

Options
I am working around a number of orthopedic issues. I've recovered from the ones I can recover from, and am eager to get back into shape and optimize function, but I have to work within limits (under medical orders). I'm not willing to risk further injury - I want to be able to continue to engage with fitness in 20 or 30 years.

So, I can't:
- do HIIT (on any machine or via bodyweight workouts), but I can do longer moderate cardio. I work hard, I just can't put my joints through very fast movements or high impact.
- lift anything over 20 lbs, on orders. (I just spent 6 months in PT for a bunch of stuff, and almost did my wrists in again carrying groceries last week.)

I can do 1 hour on a mix of machines, 3-4 days a week. Right now I like the rowing machine, elliptical, or treadmill (walking at 4mph on an incline). I've just been doing this and working on an injury prevention program designed by my PT. I plan to start lifting light girly weights in one month, shooting for 2-3 times a week.

My diet is balanced at 2000 calories, but grain-focused, for other medical reasons. I do get protein, but it's not like 30% protein with the rest veg.

So given that kind of workout and those constraints, what can I expect in terms of body composition? Female, late 30s, 145 lbs, 5'7, less than ideal bf%.

I'm not so much asking "what should I be doing to lose bf%", but rather "what will happen to my body with this program", because this is basically all I can do and what's been advised. I used to be able to lift much heavier weights, do plyo, run, etc., that's just off the table now and I don't really know what to anticipate.

Thanks!

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Just a thought---have you considered swimming? I have strong OA issues and am able to do 40min of laps and 30 min of acqua-gym. Good looking bodies in the pool, so it might be an idea for awhile. I also have wrist issues and cannot lift weights, so I find swimming is a great workout. Good luck. :)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    your diet is "grain-focused" for medical reasons? that is a first. Seriously? What medical condition could possibly be helped by focusing a 2000 calorie diet on grains?
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Dave198lbs wrote: »
    your diet is "grain-focused" for medical reasons? that is a first. Seriously? What medical condition could possibly be helped by focusing a 2000 calorie diet on grains?

I eat 2000 calories because it's about 100-200 less than I ate while I was recovering and feeling bad. I am eating a balanced diet (not just grains, but they're a good part of it) because of medical reasons that I don't really think are relevant to the question.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Just a thought---have you considered swimming? I have strong OA issues and am able to do 40min of laps and 30 min of acqua-gym. Good looking bodies in the pool, so it might be an idea for awhile. I also have wrist issues and cannot lift weights, so I find swimming is a great workout. Good luck. :)

Thanks for your kind thoughts, snowflake954! I'm sorry about your OA, it's awful, I know :) but am glad you've found something that works. I do like swimming - I stayed away due to tendonitis in a shoulder, but am probably ok to try again. Thanks again!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

I eat 2000 calories because it's about 100-200 less than I ate while I was recovering and feeling bad. I am eating a balanced diet (not just grains, but they're a good part of it) because of medical reasons that I don't really think are relevant to the question.

fair enough. I know grains are tasty and nothing really wrong with grains but I have just never heard of grains being a focus of a medically advised diet unless fiber is a concern.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

fair enough. I know grains are tasty and nothing really wrong with grains but I have just never heard of grains being a focus of a medically advised diet unless fiber is a concern.

Well, no one really wants to hear about all that, and I don't particularly want to talk about it ;) Cheers :)
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    If you keep your diet in check then you will probably see some very pleasing results (unless you want to become a fitness model or something similar.)

Despite what you hear about lower intensity work making you fat bro or robbing you of all your muscle it is generally overblown nonsense. Of course your physique gains will not be optimal but the vast majority of people don't need optimal to be happy.

I also think it is utterly superb that you are looking at this over the long term and respecting the terms of your rehab. Go you!
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I also recommend swimming. Start small and build your workouts. I eventually joined a lap class and they make us do a combo of the four strokes to use different muscles. Your stroke in freestyle, when done properly is designed to protect your shoulders. Maybe seek help so you don't aggravate your tendonitis. Good luck to you!
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Sorry I missed your replies -- many thanks to you both!
  • philwrightfitness
    Options

You can do HIIT drills in swimming j....
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Swimming is a great low-impact activity, as well as all of the other exercises you mentioned. I would like to add that Tracy Anderson method, particularly her mat workouts, are good low-to-no impact workouts. You will hear differing opinions, but I do lift heavy; as well as run and do HIIT circuits; and still enjoy her workouts for what they are.