Diet/Nutrition Help -- Need more protein?

Options
Hey guys! I love the MFP boards, and everyone always seems so helpful and knowledgeable so I thought I'd kick a question out to you all and get some opinions.

I've been on (and off) MFP for almost 2 years now, but much more regularly on in the past few months. I've gotten pretty good about my calorie numbers, so now I think the next step is to be better about the Fat/Protein/Carb percentages, and drill down on my macros.

Specifically, I think I need tips (recipes?) on how to up my protein and lowering my sodium intake. Obviously my sugar intake is too high as well (sigh).

I'm allergic to dairy, which unfortunately rules out most protein powders, but besides that I'm open to trying new things. And I live near both a Trader Joe's and a Whole Foods, so they can be kind of obscure or fancy new things.

Thanks!

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Meat, lots of meat, love meat.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I experiment with meat. I discovered loc lac (Cambodian steak dish) several years ago, and recently learned how to make it at home. I've also learned how to make homemade taco seasoning, and use it in taco chicken and rice casseroles, or plain chicken for salads.

Wicked easy to get more protein in. I got in 100g today with a reasonable intake today.
  • morgiee_lynne
    morgiee_lynne Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I eat 170 grams of protein a day, but am not allergic to dairy. The only dairy I use to fill my protein is cottage cheese, that can easily be replaced though. For fast protein I LOVE beef jerky. Also Ostrim sticks are thebomb.com, but meat meat meat and more specifically lean meat!
  • DarbiB
    DarbiB Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Morgiee_lynne, what brands/types of jerky do you reccomend?
  • blbst36
    blbst36 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    If you are really interested in protein powders - there are vegan powders out there. They wouldn't be made with dairy products.
  • digitalcanuck
    digitalcanuck Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have started using pulses to add a great nutrient punch and variety in my diet. I had no idea what you could do with pulses. I just ordered a grain mill so that I can start using them in lots of things without wrecking my food processor. Here is a video about using chickpea flour in place of wheat flour. (I am a celiac so I look for more interesting ways to cook and eat without wheat). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJfyur_CeQ0

I have started making my own baked beans and hummus as well. Pulses are awesome, and sooooo cheap.
  • digitalcanuck
    digitalcanuck Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    If you watch the other pro chef pulse videos you can see how you can make your own protein powder out of pulses. No additives etc. when you make your own.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Meat, beans, eggs, protein powders made from egg protein or vegan ones, as mentioned above. If you are having trouble meeting them without going over calories, lean sources like fish, chicken, and lean cuts of pork are all helpful.

How are your protein numbers now?
  • d6melanie
    d6melanie Posts: 84 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I checked your diary and there are a couple things I would do:
    1. Start Swapping your breakfast from oats to eggs. You don't have to do that every day, but maybe alternate your breakfasts. It looks like some days you like breakfast on the go, so making egg muffins in advance might work for you. (Sautee up some veg and chicken sausage put it about a quarter cup in a muffin tin, scramble 12 eggs and divide equally, bake at 350 for about 30 (but you really can't "overbake" them.)
    2. Start including a piece of protein at your lunches or dinners. You could add ground meat to your soups, or grill up a bunch of chicken breasts and eat them on the side.
    3. Swap your snacks on some days for something like roasted almonds (I love the cocoa, cinnamon or wasabi flavored.)

I would focus on incorporating one change at a time and see how you like it. :)
  • DarbiB
    DarbiB Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I will look into vegan protein powders, I have no idea how that never occurred to me before. And adding more lean meats into my lunches.

d6melanie -- I'm actually pretty good about pre-cooking, so I will for sure be trying this egg muffin suggestion. Also it sounds delicious.

You all are so helpful, I love it!