Cooking in advance

Options
I am looking to start cooking in advance and freezing things like chilli, soups, bean burgers. I never did this before besides the bean burgers I tried once but were sticky so they actually froze to the freezer bags. I was wondering what is the best dish to freeze chilli and soup in and does anyone know how I can make the bean burgers and not get them to stick to the freezer bags.

Thanks

Replies

• hrcc2000
    hrcc2000 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You should make your patties, flash freeze them flat on a baking sheet that you've lined with parchment paper. Once the patties are frozen, pop them off the baking sheet, wrap individually in parchment paper and put into a ziploc freezer bag. As for chili and soups, I typically will freeze them in ziploc gallon bags that I lay flat on a baking sheet. Once frozen, you can prop them upright.
  • d6melanie
    d6melanie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    For soups, etc... I really like Snapware. I just got more I use them all the time: http://www.amazon.com/Snapware-38-Piece-Airtight-Storage-Container/dp/B00EO0RWQ2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1414537429&sr=8-3&keywords=snap+ware

I store in portions of 1-2 servings.

The previous reply is really good for the patties.
  • sydneydeb
    sydneydeb Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have a tone of freezer containers that are just the right size for single portions. I freeze everything, soups, casseroles, patties. If things are sticky try freezing them between freezer paper or put them in the fridge for a while?
  • dazwan
    dazwan Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    We use ziplock bags for lots of things. I once bought a few tubs with two sections so I could make my own TV dinners! I used to put Veggie stew and millet mash in them and just throw the whole thing in the microwave when I wanted them. When I used to work away I'd make a batch of stew on Sunday and take my dinners for the week with me so I wouldn't have to eat out during the week.
  • fatnutjob
    fatnutjob Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Plastic containers will be fine for more liquidy dishes like soups/chili.

What I now do is I when I buy mince (about 1kg of beef mince) I cook it all, let it cool, and then put 1 or 2 serving size amounts in sandwich bags, and then freeze it. I prefer sandwich bags to freezer bags because they're smaller.

With burgers (I also do bean burgers! :D) I put greaseproof paper/foil/cereal bag (yes, those bags that cereal come in) between each burger and then put them in a small container. I prefer not to use plastic because it's way too thin. I got the cereal bag/greaseproof paper/foil idea from my sister's mother in-law who uses the cereal bags for things like vol au vents/samosas/things made with puff pastry/anything that's likely to stick together. It works perfectly. I've used it for the same things and for my burgers for over a year now.