first 5k race

Options
Hi. I am doing my first 5k race on Sunday with the Learn to Runs from the Running Room. So many emotions going through my head. So many people telling me I will do fine, I know the running will be good but its the rest of how I feel that scares me, many of us this is our first time It is mine, running in public is an issue for me I'm a bigger lady and am not used to people looking at me I know these feelings will pass. I am very excited about this race because I know how much I have improved and how much weight I've lost already. and it is olny going to get better

4207473.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Replies

• BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first 5k! I did mine last Saturday and was also nervous but I'll tell ya. You'll neither be the biggest or the slowest or the oldest person there. And if by some chance that you are, once the start signal goes off, no one is paying attention to you because they're running their own race and as you approach the finish line they'll clap just as hard no matter how long it took you to get there. :)
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy for you!!! Your first 5k can be scary, but you'll find there's no need whatsoever to be nervous! Runners are all very supportive, especially to new runners!!! I couldn't believe how awesome everyone was at my first one last year... made me want to do my best and I did! Just finish... that's always the goal first time out... and enjoy the moment! You're a runner baby! Yahoo!!!!!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    My first 5k is in 2 weeks and I am freaking out. But thanks to your post and the first response from BrentGetsFit I am not as scared :)
  • staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    There are normally soo many people running a 5K that no one really pays attention to anyone in particular. Also, there will probably be others in the same boat as you; first time runners; or at least novice runners that are also self-conscious of themselves. You'll be fine. Enjoy the run and the rush that comes with running in a group of people all with the same goal; to finish the race!
  • MindyC7609
    MindyC7609 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You WILL do fine, and you might find that you really like doing 5Ks. That's what happened to me! ;o)

When I started running 2 1/2 years ago, I was about 30 pounds heavier than I am now and was really self-conscious about it. I did my first 5K and realized that people of all shapes and sizes do these things. I wasn't the smallest girl there nor the biggest, and it was OK!

Just don't get caught up in the excitement and start out too fast. Remember your OWN pace and don't worry about what everyone else is doing. Enjoy the moment, and REALLY enjoy crossing that finish line --- then find another race to sign up for! LOL! Just wait until you cross the line for your first half-marathon... ;o) GOOD LUCK!
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    it will be lovely! i did my first race on april 16 - at my old college (that i flunked out of twice) among a ton of 18 year olds! there will be so many good vibes there, you'll forget about the world and just be so happy about how much you've accomplished! you'll do brilliantly!
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    This post couldn't have been more well timed. My first 5k is tomorrow and I'm starting to freak a little. This made me feel much better. Look forward to more comments and advice from other posters!
  • leouniverse
    Options
    Trust me there is nothing to worry about. I will offer you this advice:

Start mid pack, not at the starting line, unless you're confident you're in the race to win it. Not to imply you won't but my last female 5 K winner did it in some insane 18 minutes or something. Me? I was sick, but I came in around 40 minutes...something. So you can already see the gap.

Start of slow, don't race the pack and kill yourself out of the gate. Take it easy so you know your stride, the coarse and people around you. Keep your eye one one person the entire race, someone your pace and keep up with them. If they lag or flee find another target to take down. I have been beaten by 12 year olds and 80 year olds, no age size or anything is a determining factor on race times.

Being your first race keep the attitude of running the entire coarse (no cutting the coarse) slow down if you need to, but do not walk unless you absolutely have to (which I have, and if you do, don't fret). Keep the attitude you will finish and you will have fun, the first race is the best race of your life, cause it is the one you can always beat. The benchmark of what you started from and where you are going to.

In one year I dropped 4 + minutes off of my 5K time on the same coarse. Being sick I have also gained minutes, you just never really know other than if you go you're going to have fun. At the finish line, you'll get goodies and will meet other runners. You will find lots of running support on the Runners World website too. You can even locate other people in your are to run with or meet at races.

Above anything, have fun, don't fret, and good luck! I Can't wait to get back to running, I miss it.
  • coraspiece
    coraspiece Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    this is so fabulous thanks so much everyone. It is making me feel a whole lot better.

4207473.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • kristarablue
    Options
    First of all congrats...you are my hero!! Look, I have to tell you that no one and I mean no one will be looking at you unless it is to say "right on sister!!" When I began running, I hid in the wooded area of a park trail so no one could see the fat, flabby lady making a spectacle of herself. If people would pass me, I would stop because I could not bare for anyone to see the out of shape crazy big me. I slowly was able to come out into the open, and guess what...no one cared. No one looked at me like I was a menace to society for running while big. I don't know about you, but I have major respect to those people I see working out that are larger because I know how much guts it takes to get there. Listen, you have the running good, take a deep breath and own it!!! You deserve to be there and when you cross that finish line and everyone is clapping (because they will clap), you are going to want to cry that you came so far and you beat so many of your demons. Most of which are self-created (we all do this).

Lots of love to you and I wish you the best for Sunday. I am proud of you for doing so well already, remember it does not matter how slow you go as long as you don’t stop. Forget anyone else is there and just own it baby!
  • HisKathy
    HisKathy Posts: 34
    Options
    What a great thread! I'll be running my first 5K next Saturday and I'm nervous and excited too. Plus I'll be pushing my munchkin in the jogging stroller so I'm a bit nervous about that too (even though I have yet to run without him). Good luck on your 5K!
  • cindylc
    cindylc Posts: 14
    Options
    I just signed up for my first 5K ... it's in 2 weeks and I definitely understand how nervous you are! Best of luck to you, and please let us know how it was!
  • RisOnTheRun
    RisOnTheRun Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Good luck to all! I remember being terrified before my first race, but runners and the people who cheer them on really are some of the nicest people around there, so you'll have plenty of support. There's nothing quite like the feeling of finishing a race, no matter what your time is!
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Good luck and have fun!!!!!
  • skylar1907
    skylar1907 Posts: 156
    Options
    I just registered for my first 5K race. Its 5 weeks out, but I'm already nervous! I hope to be able to jog all of it, but we'll see where I'm at by then. Anyone have training tips/advice?

Right now I can jog half a mile at a consistent pace, walk an eighth, repeat for 3 miles. I'm looking at the C25K programs too, but it would be nice to hear from others who have done it firsthand.

Oh, and I'm around 230 right now, should be 220 around race day... if there's anyone out there that was around the same weight on their first race day, I could use the encouragement!
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I got to week 7 in C25k by the time my race came up. I had done 25 minutes of jogging and felt pretty confident but was still nervous. I was about 230 on race day. I wound up doing better than I had expected and can't wait for my next race :)