Strength Training

Options
Anyone else using the strength training log? I am and I like it but I don't think it is calculating any calories. I would like to correspond with someone who goes to gym and logs exercises.
Gender doesn't matter just looking for a little support, exchange ideas.

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    It is hard to tell how many calories weight training burns. Way too many factors to think of a equation.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Given how variable strength training intensities can be, it's hard to log. The closest way to measure those calories is with a heart rate monitor, but I've heard those are not really accurate for strength training. I log my strength training exercise in a handwritten log to track my progress and keep track that way.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    It is hard to tell how many calories weight training burns. Way too many factors to think of a equation.
    ^This, but there is a place to log under cardiovascular, once you have a general idea.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    People dont count calories from it for the reasons above. its possible to do so in the cardio section, but its unreliable.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Like the other posters said, it isn't set up to log calories under strength training, but if you log it under cardio it will. Just know there are a lot of variables there and even with a HRM it isn't as accurate as figuring out cardio calories.
  • red_90
    red_90 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I log in the cardio section - I tracked a few times with my HRM and it varies but the estimate in the cardio section is near enough for me.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    I use the TDEE method to calculate my calories instead of using the MFP default method so all exercises get set to 1 calorie burned regardless.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    The weight lifting calorie burns under "cardiovascular" are apparently pretty accurate for me. I base this on how my weight responds over time, as a result of my calorie deficit/surplus fluctuations. Try it out for a while - it may work for you as well.

I used the TDEE method for a while too, and had good success with it, but my exercise level varies quite a bit from day to day, and I wanted to try to have my intake vary along with it.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I just wear a heart rate monitor, it is really close enough, I say you burn even more since your muscles have to rebuild later, so it is pretty safe to take whatever figure the monitor tells you.