Back injury

Options
Years ago I had a back injury from work. Pulled/torn muscles in my lower back. It's funny How sitting behind a desk can diminish your muscle capabilities without you noticing. Anyway, the Dr gave me some steriosteroids and told me to rest. No pt or anything else... gotta love company Dr's. Now that I'm wanting to get back in shape and be better than ever, I'm concerned about my lower back. Any suggestions on How to strengthen it without reinjury?

Replies

• Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Have you tried walking? Stretch first before you do anything very strenuous, or you'll be ouching again.

Something you might considering: walking IN water. You'll get the same exercise, but it won't be hard on the body (like running on cement is).
  • SpikedJoker
    Options
    I've been using elliptical machines with resistance, but I may try the walking in water as well. Thanks
  • SpikedJoker
    Options
    I've been using elliptical machines with resistance, but I may try the walking in water as well. Thanks
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    This is not looking good for your aesthetic goals bro.

Deadlifts, good mornings. Start light, work up. Consult with a physical therapist.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Start light and learn proper form before you get into heavy lifting. I suspect you'll be OK as long as you don't start jerking weights around with your back. Good warm ups. Good stretching...all that stuff. Do it.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Start by building a base of core and back stabilization, then move up from there and see what you can tolerate. Push-ups, wide-grip pull downs, step ups, single leg squat and reach, straight arm pulldown, front raise, combo biceps curl/shoulder press w/dumbbells, super mans, bird dogs. That's a good basic program to start with. Oh--forgot lateral steps with a band --either around ankles or just below the knees.
  • SpikedJoker
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice, most of this is stuff I'm doing already, but I'll add seafood's and other things as I progress.
  • RaceB
    RaceB Posts: 18
    Options
    I would personally not recommend dead lifts or squats given your back. Form is pretty important with both of those and if you're out of practice...

I think other folks on here have it right though. Given your situation it's worth the few bucks to go with a PT that can analyze your situation and give the best workout program so you don't risk another injury. It's just not worth it.

Sit ups and roman chairs would be my suggestion of something to ask your PT if it's right for you....knowing basically nothing about you....but since it's body weight based it will probably be a bit more forgiving.

So much for follow my own advice about advice.
  • SpikedJoker
    Options
    Thanks, I often give better advice than taking my own lol
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,744 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    Start by building a base of core and back stabilization, then move up from there and see what you can tolerate. Push-ups, wide-grip pull downs, step ups, single leg squat and reach, straight arm pulldown, front raise, combo biceps curl/shoulder press w/dumbbells, super mans, bird dogs. That's a good basic program to start with. Oh--forgot lateral steps with a band --either around ankles or just below the knees.

^^ This. Plus various planks and other core moves. I had always used my "bad back" as an excuse to not do anything, especially after my last back surgery. Then my physical therapist laid it out bare - the vast majority of people who complain of bad backs actually have weak core muscles. He put me on a PT regimen that works mostly on my core and just a little on my back. Wow, what a difference!! Any time I start to feel that weakness creep in again, I get back on the old PT wagon and it works like a charm. PT can be a little boring, but if you do it right and have a good therapist it can help you progress quickly. :)
  • SpikedJoker
    Options
    Unfortunately, I don't have the extra for pt. If my job finds out I'm taking pt, I'm instantly put on leave, and I gotta get paid. So any advice on exercise is appreciated.
  • katiehunter921
    katiehunter921 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have all kinds of mess going on with my lower back. I screwed it up a few years ago at BJJ and its been weak ever since. Core is super important, try yoga, swimming and other low impact exercises. No heavy lifting, no running, avoid anything with excessive twisting. Most importantly, PAY ATTENTION to what your back is telling you. If it hurts, STOP. This is not a "push past the pain" injury.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I don't have the extra for pt. If my job finds out I'm taking pt, I'm instantly put on leave, and I gotta get paid. So any advice on exercise is appreciated.

I gave you pretty much a whole program.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

If he's doing this, like he says, I don't know why he's asking for advice. I find it a waste of time to offer advice to people who have already yes, butted me.
  • SpikedJoker
    Options
    I asked for advice for ideas on other exercises I may not know about and other ideas to help.