Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Lunch while out - any suggestions?

I have been pretty good about packing a lunch to bring with me, but some days I need to eat out and I am looking for ideas that don't take too long and are readily available. Do you have certain things you pick up from a deli or 7-11 or Wendy's or some other chain?

If possible, I would like it to be:
  • 400 calories, give or take
  • $10 or less
  • quick - I only have half an hour at most
  • Not fast food (at least not a burger/fries/nugget)
  • Real food as much as possible

These are my staples:
1) Salad from Trader Joes
2) Subway turkey sandwich
3) Cafe Rio chicken tostada
4) Zaba's shredded beef salad
5) Wendy's Asian chicken salad with cashews
6) Baja Fresh grilled shrimp salad

Replies

• ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Do you have certain things you pick up from a deli or 7-11 or Wendy's or some other chain?

Pretty much, no. FF and restaurants throw fat and salt at you. If not that, the sandwiches or burritos are on large slabs of bread or tortillas. ONE large tortilla is 500 calories.

If I have to buy lunch there are several supermarkets nearby and I get some frozen veggies or nonfat cottage cheese and greek yogurt.

Very very occasionally I will stop at a burger place and get their $1 sized burger. Each patty is 2 oz. Many fast food places offer side salads.

Though I have not had it for a while, Wendy's chili is good without cheese or sour cream.
  • JavaJuno
    JavaJuno Posts: 9 Member
    I work at Arby's, and quickly found out that I had to come up with something to eat on breaks that wouldn't kill my calories. So, I typically get a 270 calorie modified Grand Turkey Club (no mayo, no cheese, and no bacon- so turkey (3 oz), lettuce and tomato, and a wheat bun).
    I also get a side salad (80 calories with cheese/tomatoes) with light Italian dressing (20 calories per packet).
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Wendy's baked potato with bacon and cheese is 389 calories with 20 grams of protein.
    Subway's 6 inch steak and cheese has 380 calories and 26 grams of protein.
  • the_great_unknown
    the_great_unknown Posts: 194 Member
    Thank you ladies!
  • ginktn
    ginktn Posts: 2 Member
    Wendy's-small chili & baked potato (just adjust potato toppings for your calorie needs). Arby's-Classic roast beef sandwich & chopped side salad with light Italian dressing. Subway-six inch turkey or ham or roasted chicken.
    Zaxby's-Grilled Cobb Zalad with no onions or bread (I sometimes leave off cheese).
  • joaniegray
    joaniegray Posts: 88 Member
    Wendy's small chili, MacDonald's junior chicken wrap
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    I usually get the grilled chicken sandwich with a fruit cup at Chick-fil-a. The chicken sandwich comes in at 320cals and the fruit cup is only an additional 50cal. It is delicious and filling.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Wendy's small chili - It is cold and raining today here. Chili would be perfect.
  • NNora06
    NNora06 Posts: 28 Member
    edited November 2014
    My husband & I eat at Pita Pit for a lunch date once per week. Their website has a "build your pita" option so you know the caloric, fat, etc amounts of everything you put on. We have both lost 40lbs in the past 2 years, partly from cutting out burgers as our lunch selection. www.pitapit.com