Running 6 times a week for 30 mins?

Options
I would rather do 60 mins 3 times a week, but I'm not fit enough and certainly do not have the endurance.
Anyway, I was wondering if this would help me tone my body up? I'm looking to start wearing crop tops and bikinis when I get to my goal weight. I haven't been exercising and realised that I must start to, not just for toning but for my overall health.
If I run for 30 mins on my treadmill 6 times a week, will I see a difference? I eat healthily (weetabix/bran flakes for breakfast, wholewheat sandwich for lunch, Apple for snack and a healthy-ish recipe for dinner: I stay within 1250 calories :smile:)
I'm basically looking to tone up that inner thigh fat and just burn fat overall, and I heard running was good for this?
Thank you for your help!:)

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    How far can you run for justnow?

Going straight to six days is quite a step if you're not currently training, so I'd suggest alternate days to allow yourself adaptation. Equally if you're not currently running then start with short runs and grow that, rather than straight into that volume of training.

You're likely to land up with an overuse injury fairly quickly on that rate.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Toning up will be mostly about calorie intake. If you really are around 1250 cals per day, you shouldn't have much trouble losing weight.

HIIT will probably be more effective than typical running, so I'd suggest 3-4 days of HIIT over 6 days of running... not to mention recovery and injury prevention concerns.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Start a Couch to 5k program and do some resistance training. Diet + cardio will equal weight loss! but it will be muscle and fat. Dirt + cardio + resistance will result in a higher ratio of what's loss being from fat rather than muscle. If you don't like to run, pick another form of cardio.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    JenMc14 wrote: »
    Start a Couch to 5k program and do some resistance training. Diet + cardio will equal weight loss! but it will be muscle and fat. Dirt + cardio + resistance will result in a higher ratio of what's loss being from fat rather than muscle. If you don't like to run, pick another form of cardio.

^^^This, and probably more than 1250 calories a day.

If I remember from a past thread, OP is of healthy weight but is trying to lose the last bit of fat...ie "vanity lbs".
  • d6melanie
    d6melanie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I would alternate 3 days a week of running (I second the C25K recommendation) and 3 days a week of compound lifts, I recommend Stronglifts 5X5. You are most likely to see the results in the mirror you want from including resistance training in your plan.
  • sarahrachel90
    sarahrachel90 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    And yes I enjoy running - for me when I run to good music it helps me distract myself from the stress in my life :P thank you for all your suggestions!
  • RonwynAngel
    RonwynAngel Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    See a professional trainer first. Get a program of weight and cardio training and you will feel better all round. It you eat more fruit and vegetable and less cereal based meals it will help also. Wheat based products tend to head straight for the hips especially the newer wheat. I follow a Gluten free diet and am feeling much better from it. Less noisy to if you get my meaning.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Get a program of weight and cardio training and you will feel better all round.

This is the only part of that post I don't disagree with...

Run, and do resistance training of some kind. Needn't be weights, personally I stick with bodyweight work as it's easy to build into my programme.

Focus on the macros, but don't bother with all the "eat clean" guff.