Best Protein Powders for Women

Options
I have NEVER used protein powder before. I want to begin incorporating it into my meal plan to fulfill my protein needs and restore my muscles after strength training sessions. I don't know how to pick the "right" protein powder, or even what to do with it once I buy it. I guess I will cross that bridge when I come to it, but first I'd like to know what kind to buy.

I am 21 years old female standing at 5'6" weighing 150 pounds. My goal is to keep the same weight, but with a way lower body fat percentage and much more muscle mass. I don't know if these traits are essential in advising me, but it doesn't hurt to post. I'd love to hear from anyone, particularly women, in their experiences with using protein powders/supplements.

Replies

• JeneliaAponte
    Options
    and also which brands/types they have found more conducive to their lifestyle.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Men or woman doesn't really matter. Just find a good quality protein. (Most protein per grams/serving).

I use Dymatize Elite XT and/or Protein Factory Monster V.
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hornsby is right. I like to have my protein after my lifting work outs so I like whey protein. I use Cellucor and HIT Supplements because I like the low carbs and the high protein content in each scoop.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Men or woman doesn't really matter. Just find a good quality protein. (Most protein per grams/serving).

I use Dymatize Elite XT and/or Protein Factory Monster V.

This, except I buy mine from Target, EAS brand 26g

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    There isn't any difference in men or women for protein... I personally use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard - Whey Protein Vanilla Ice Cream, but I ordered the samples of Trutein and can't wait to taste those.
  • SugarBaby1986
    SugarBaby1986 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I use Bodylogix Natural Whey from Walgreens 24g
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is protein powder. It does the same thing in both men and women -- helps your body get more protein, which helps with muscle recovery and growth. It also doesn't matter when you consume it. Like I said, supplementing with protein powder is just to make sure you get enough of it!

I always look for protein powder with the highest amount of protein and lowest calories per serving. I think mine is called Lean Whey, but it's 24 grams and 120 calories per serving.

Good luck :)
  • Burnsie1545
    Burnsie1545 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use Syntha6. Tastes great. I get it from BodyBuilding.com. Super fast delivery and best prices.
  • morgiee_lynne
    morgiee_lynne Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Cellucor! Their flavors are the bomb! And they are low carb too :D
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Sex has nothing to do with what protein you get.

It wont make a significant difference when you drink it either as long as your daily total meets your needs.

Find something that tastes good and is affordable without a bunch of fillers or added crap.

Isolate might give you a better protein to calorie ratio but can be expensive. Since the timing of your protein intake is not really a factor you dont need to worry about "fast absorbing" or anything like that.

• SpecialKH
    SpecialKH Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    The brand is up to you, but how I use it: I like vanilla because it is easier to mix in with other things I like. I blend it with ice and day old leftover coffee for a iced coffee drink (sometimes I add sweetener or more vanilla or even sugar free nestle quick for a mocha flavor), I blend it with orange crystal light, sometimes add a banana. I blend it with any random leftover fruit and frozen fruit and frozen spinach. I add it to low sugar cinnamon apple oatmeal (just keep adding hot water to get the right consistency) plus some extra cinnamon.
  • Gymjunkie619
    Options
    Anything with whey isolate.
  • Gymjunkie619
    Options
    Or anything that doesnt have fillers, brand doesnt matter.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Sex has nothing to do with what protein you get.

Giggity.

• tgmichelleee
    tgmichelleee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm currently using some off of truenutrion. They have a variety of options including alternatives to whey protein (I just got some rice and pea protein, milk based proteins don't do so well with me) and you have the option of flavoring them too.

Plus for the price, it's definitely a go. I know for the non whey proteins they're about $8/lbs ish which is great on a college budget haha
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    ON Gold Standard Whey double chocolate. Best tasting one I've come across. Mixes with water and tastes fine but is so yummy with milk.
  • JeneliaAponte
    Options
    you guys are awesome, feel free to send me friend requests!

thank you!