Motivation is slipping...

Options
My emotions are on a roller coaster. One day I'm all about dieting and exercising, then the next day I want to quit. I've been dieting and exercising in different ways, and with different fitness sites for almost a year. I have been on this site for 101 days. My goal was to lose 50lbs by May 5. I am only at 28lbs. Not going to make it. I know that my habits and eating style have changed for the better. But sometimes I wonder if it's worth it. Yes, since Jan, I have dropped a couple pants sizes, but I've only lost 8lbs. I know that I have had some "cheats", but I feel like I've worked harder than 8lbs. Can anyone tell me to keep going, and I will make it???

Replies

• mrsbuzz
    mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I totally feel your pain...I did so well for the first 4 months with losing 20 lbs, but then took a long break and trying find my way back. I have lost 4 lbs in like 2 months. I keep losing and gaining the same 4 lbs. Some days I just want to give up but my friends on her (like you) keep me going. I have good days and bad days too. We just have to keep talking and keep plugging away. Together we can do it.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,006 Member
    Options
    You can do it, just hang in there. It will take time. It can get discouraging at times but the ones that dont give up are the ones that evidentially reach their goals
  • nina1968
    nina1968 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You need to focus on your 8lb acomplishment and be proud of your weight lose. I really do know how you feel.. But you can do it! You proved that with the weight that you have lost. Don't give up Remember this is a life change not a diet. Just continue to eat healthy and excercise and you will get to your goal. And a cheat here and there won't kill you. We all cheat from time to time.
    Best of luck!
  • Mickers36
    Mickers36 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Go get 30 lbs of potatoes and carry them around for 30 minutes! Maybe up and down some stairs a couple of times! It's worth it but more so YOU are worth it. It takes time but you will get there ! Keep going!
  • JanCoppoletti
    Options
    I have never been able to figure out what makes the motivation come and go. I had no problem sticking to the low carb Southbeach diet for a month. Then I went on vacation and gained. I came back and went back on it and lost what I gained but since then I have been out of control. It is so discouraging!
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    My emotions are on a roller coaster. One day I'm all about dieting and exercising, then the next day I want to quit. I've been dieting and exercising in different ways, and with different fitness sites for almost a year. I have been on this site for 101 days. My goal was to lose 50lbs by May 5. I am only at 28lbs. Not going to make it. I know that my habits and eating style have changed for the better. But sometimes I wonder if it's worth it. Yes, since Jan, I have dropped a couple pants sizes, but I've only lost 8lbs. I know that I have had some "cheats", but I feel like I've worked harder than 8lbs. Can anyone tell me to keep going, and I will make it???

You are over your half way mark so yay for you!

A few things. Your goal might be too fast for your personal metabolism. We all have a unique metabolism so while some people can eat anything and lots of it and never gain an ounce some of us just look at food and seem to gain. The more sluggish your metabolism is the longer it'll take to reach your goals.

Weight loss and healthy eating is a for life thing. So I want you to ask yourself, if you could look in a crystal ball and know it would take you two years to lose all the excess weight, would you quit? If the answer is yes, my question then is this: are those two years going to pass whether or not you're working toward a healthier you?

Examine your work out, you might have fallen into maintenance mode. Our bodies get comfortable rather easy. It's why you can see the same people walking all the time and never losing any real weight. If they do the same walk every day they've fallen into maintenance mode. They are simply maintaining the muscle they have built and actually that's lazier than when they first reached that goal.

If you aren't doing strength training add it in now. It actually takes 60 minutes of straight cardio before our bodies switch into heavy fat burning mode, and it's only what we do PAST that 60 minutes. However if you do a 10 minute cardio warm up, 30 minutes of weight training, and then another 30 minutes of cardio you will hit that heavy fat burning mode much faster. Not only that but you'll be building up and supporting your lean muscle rather than burning it. That's right, cardio alone will actually burn about 25% muscle during the course of a workout.

Good luck, and a toast to your improved health.
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I hear yah! I've been on MFP for 120 days, and if you look below, you'll see I've lost ONE pound.

You, on the other hand, have LOST 28 lbs in 3 months! That's really good progress. In fact, you're losing almost too fast, which may be why everything has come to a screeching halt. It's called a plateau and there are things you can do to break out of it.

Try some of the tips here:

http://www.answerfitness.com/208/weight-loss-plateau-tactics-overcoming-weight-loss-plateau/
  • amy29fan
    amy29fan Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I hear yah! I've been on MFP for 120 days, and if you look below, you'll see I've lost ONE pound.

You, on the other hand, have LOST 28 lbs in 3 months! That's really good progress. In fact, you're losing almost too fast, which may be why everything has come to a screeching halt. It's called a plateau and there are things you can do to break out of it.

Try some of the tips here:

http://www.answerfitness.com/208/weight-loss-plateau-tactics-overcoming-weight-loss-plateau/

I've only lost 8 since Jan. I really started in May 2010. Lost 20 pretty quick, dropped off for 3 months, gained 7 back. Now I've lost that 7 + 1 more.