Am I the only one this happens too??

Options
Alot of people on here swear by a 'day off' of they're diet. And say that they wouldn't make it through without it. My predicament is that if I have even just ONE day 'off' I am set back anywhere from a week to ten days. Does this happen to any one else? Is it because I'm so close to my goal weight?

It's just so darn frusterating seeing that so many other people can have a whole day to gorge on 'good' food and not feel/see the affects of it, while if I mess up one day it sets me back soooooo much lol.

Replies

• JennaLee1486
    JennaLee1486 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Same here! I become out of control if I let myself slip one day. Also I gain pretty fast.... maybe because I'm short!
  • mariahruby
    mariahruby Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    yeah, i totally know what you are saying. my idea of a "cheat" in this moment in time is low calorie ice cream. i feel like if i stop doing what i am doing now that i will never get back on the right track.
  • Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options
    It's not the one day that sets you back. It's the other day's excuses you end up using. Don't be so hard on yourself. I had my day off yesterday. I enjoyed it. It's done. I hit the gym and swam for an hour. Went home and did pilates for 30 minutes. When this day is over..it's also over. Take it one day at a time and don't use yesterday's events to be the excuse for today's lack.
  • niffer82402
    niffer82402 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    OMG! This happens to me too! I don't even give myself a whole "day", usually just one meal, and I work out hard beforehand too, and still gain, like 3 or 4 lbs from it. I realize that it is probably water retention from high sodium, etc., but the problem is, it takes me all week (and sometimes more) to lose it again! Ugh! So simple solution is, stop having a free day/meal, but I just crave stuff like pizza or hamburgers and fries too much to give them up forever! lol
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    OMG! This happens to me too! I don't even give myself a whole "day", usually just one meal, and I work out hard beforehand too, and still gain, like 3 or 4 lbs from it. I realize that it is probably water retention from high sodium, etc., but the problem is, it takes me all week (and sometimes more) to lose it again! Ugh! So simple solution is, stop having a free day/meal, but I just crave stuff like pizza or hamburgers and fries too much to give them up forever! lol

This is exactly what I mean! lol You eat one meal that is totally 'bad' food and spend the next week or so trying to get back the weight you were before that one flippin meal! Hahaha!
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I do allow myself a "relaxed day" but really I don't even use it much. I still log everything but I'll eat whatever quantity of whatever foods I want. Thing is, since getting off the crap, I really don't want it that much and even if I think I do and I eat it, I'll usually feel sick afterward or just not enjoy it like i used to think I did.

If a whole day sets you back, make it a meal. If you've given up a big country breakfast, then allow yourself to have that and get back on track with your next meal but don't skimp on the calories to make up for it. Eat what you want for breakfast, or lunch or dinner or snack, but stick to your plan the rest of the day. That might help you get a little freedom and still keep control. If you're weight is affected by changing one meal one time, you're going to have problems come time for maintenance because you will have to eat more calories than you are to get to your goal.

Figure out what your maintenance calories are and try eating up to that limit if the above and a whole day seem to throw you off. Maybe your free day is just amounting to more than you really need for maintenance.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    maybe try a cheat MEAL rather than a cheat DAY?

seems fair enough... I hope?!
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options

then make them work with the numbers you have. You can fit anything into your diet. I don't deny myself anything if I really want it. That's when you set yourself up for cravings. You always want what you can't have more than if you knew you could have it. If you workout midday and want pizza for dinner, go for it, you've burned enough to allow some extra calories for dinner. Just maintain control and don't eat the entire pie, assuming you get a pizzeria size pie and not a single serving personal pan size. Or maybe that's your solution - get the personal size and when it's gone it's gone there is no more to tempt you.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I can't have a cheat day. It halts my weight loss for weeks. Seriously not worth it.