Weekly cooking - Do you do it?

Options
2»

Replies

• d6melanie
    d6melanie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Yes, because I know if I didn't we'd either eat takeaway or I'd get mad that I work all day and then have to come home and cook. I usually do this:

Wash/Cut/Prep all veg
    • Slice/Dice onions, peppers, mushrooms, carrots, celery, cabbage, scallions, etc...
    • de-stem/chop kale, broccoli, cauliflower
    • skin and cube butternut squash
    • de-stem, halve brussel sprouts
    • Spiralize zucchini
    Wash/Prep all meat
    • brine chicken
    • brown any ground meat
    Make Ahead to Reheat
    • Bolognese Sauce
    • Soup (ginger zucchini, curried butternut, etc...
    • roast a spaghetti squash
    • put together a cottage pie (or eggplant strata)
    Make Sauces/Condiments
    • Mayo (this is the base of like every dressing and dip we use during the weak)
    • Ketchup
    • Sunshine Sauce (like Thai Peanut)

Then I store everything in a container that holds just the amount a need for when I cook, I typically try to cook a dinner and enough leftovers for lunch the following day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I make a big batch of beans in my slow cooker pretty much every Sunday. They are a staple for the whole family throughout the week. I also bake sweet potatoes fairly often so that I can take for lunch. This time of year I also do a lot of big stews and soups for which I usually have leftovers throughout the week.
  • Canwehugnow
    Canwehugnow Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'll make a soup of sorts, filled with my veggie fill. And, i'll make a meat mixture (haha). I used to make meatballs, but that got tedious, so now I just through all the meat i want, cook it and divide in Tupperware containers.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I always try to cook something that will have left overs but my husband is like a big, dumb dog when it comes to food. If it is there he will just keep eating. Last night he ate 5 bowls of the chicken/veggie stew I made in the crockpot. I was totally planning on having some for lunch today, now I will probably go out for Pho.

I do however, prepare some things that just take too long during the week. I like to roast beets and squash on the weekend since they take an hour. This way I can add them to salads and sides. I also bake a loaf or two of bread every Sunday so we have fresh bread for the week
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Yes I cook for the week, otherwise it's an easy excuse for me to grab something to go!

Bump for all these yummy ideas :)
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Yes! I like to make stuff that freezes well and then I disperse it weekly to my brother who is a junior in college, and my parents, who aren't home enough to cook! My staples are: butternut squash soup, sweet potato enchiladas, beef/pork chili, carrot-ginger soup (I pour soups in to muffin tins, freeze them, and then pack the single serve portions in a ziplock bag), crock pot curry chicken, stuffed acorn squash, and also smoothie stuff (fresh fruit cut up and frozen in to individual servings I mix with water/pro powder). Seems to work well and is appreciated by everyone!
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    Loving all of these great ideas!
  • allisondra23
    Options
    I do sometimes, I mean to all the time but it just doesn't happen.
    My favs to make when I do meal prep:
    1. Veggie chili
    2. Seitan stew
    3. Tomato basil soup
    4. Veggie cheddar
    5. Jalapeno biscuits
    6. Rosemary Focaccia
    7. Avocado asparagus potato salad
    8. Black bean quinoa salad
    9. burrito innards
    10. Taco filling
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I try to prep because it's kind of the key to my success so far--planning.
    Weeks when I don't prep some meals ahead I don't end up losing any weight.

I like to keep meal components on hand--roasted veggies, prepared proteins, rolled out pie crusts, frozen pizza dough, etc. When all else fails I do something like a veggie quesadilla on corn tortillas with a bunch of salad on top or a miso stew/soup with whatever's in the fridge. I don't know if I could do this weight loss thing if I wasn't dedicated to cooking or didn't enjoy it. Restaurants and take out are so hard to keep calories within reason for me and I get tempted to have a drink or 2 and it just argh....no.
  • jaquelynny
    jaquelynny Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    meal prep is totally the way to go
    Lazy girl chicken- Unwrap a couple pounds of breasts spray glass dish with pam, put chicken in glass dish, cover with fat free italian dressing, let sit one day. take out and pop in oven for an hour...chicken for days!
    keep in mind i am on a very limited diet so i keep most stuff without a lot of fuss, may not be the greatest but keeping things limited limits variety hence less to stimulate appetite, just my 2 cents
    i also prep sweet potatoes and asparagus. i spend most time in the gym or at work so i make everything pretty easy to grab and go
  • 111YoYo111
    111YoYo111 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Yes,

Omelettes in a muffin pan for breakfasts.
    Soups for lunch. Cauliflour/broccoli/cheese this week.
    Boiled eggs and veggie dips for snacks.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    Never heard of omelettes in a muffin pan, so just looked it up. What a great idea!!
  • the_great_unknown
    the_great_unknown Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Yes, sometimes, but I keep it simple. I will make mini baked omelettes and usually one other thing - shredded beef, chili, or marinated then baked chicken breasts.

It is nice to have healthy choices that are also easy.
  • yulia121
    yulia121 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    mygnsac wrote: »
    Lots if great ideas!