Low Cal Sauces?

Options
koizumi6
koizumi6 Posts: 274 Member
Does anyone have recipes for some low cal/healthy sauces? I'm getting tired of plain chicken!

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I rarely use sauces, but a great spice that I just tried recently was smoked sweet paprika. Amazing. Coat the meat with a little bit of olive oil and the smoked paprika and cook in a pan. YUM!
  • vanb0052
    vanb0052 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for good sauce options too!
  • savannahgro
    savannahgro Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure, because I think this might just be a Buffalo thing but Chiavetta's marinade is delicious! It's perfect for chicken.
    Also, I'm a huge fan of hot sauce (Franks's, which I think may be another Buffalo thing) and I have been putting it on my chicken lately.

Both are super low in calories but a bit high in sodium. . .

Chivetta's:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/chiavettas-bbq-marinade-446662

Frank's:
    http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/franks/red-hot-sauce?dietid=13847
  • marandaj77
    Options
    Try like grill seasoning or low cal Italian salad dressing
  • Soupskin
    Soupskin Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I found some salad dressing the produce section that was very low cal and made with yogurt. They had blue cheese, ranch and caesar flavors.

You could spice up your own greek yogurt for the same effect.
  • Lacey34
    Lacey34 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Canned diced tomatoes or tomato sauce with your own seasoning is also delicious.
  • mamato3inca
    mamato3inca Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I second the Italian dressing. Use fat free Italian dressing and you can marinate (don't have to) the chicken and then grill or even bake. Yummy!
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Simple Marinade/Sauce

2 T Dijon mustard
    1-2 tsp white wine
    1 clove garlic (optional)
    your choice of dried or fresh herbs

For salmon (dill), chicken (rosemary or oregano) and pork (tarragon).
  • MommyLumpkin
    Options
    You can mix up some paprika, rosemary, and black pepper with olive oil and toss your chicken in it before you bake it. It's really good and only cals from the EVOO, which is very little. Also, heat up some raspberry jelly in the microwave (about 3 tbsp for 4 breasts for 30 sec) then add just about 1 tbsp of honey mustard. Spread it on the chicken breast about 10 minutes before it's done cooking and it is DELICIOUS!!
  • teebeegeebee
    teebeegeebee Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    try this one it works on fish, chicken, pork, lamb or rib-eye beef
    we take 2 tsps of chicken tikka, or rogan josh paste
    we coat the food with the paste and then leave it to marinade for 1hour
    then simply griddle in a pan with some spray oil not too high a heat as you want the food too cook not the sauce to burn
    then to finish off - add a little coconut milk and water and you have a "creamy" spicy sauce to go with some very tender meat
    so long as you do not go mad with the coconut milk you will keep the calories down and the food tastes divine :glasses:
  • brooke_g0501
    brooke_g0501 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    We use fat free italian dressing, or plain bread crumbs (just a light coating).I have been going to eatbetteramerica.com & if you click on "dinners" then "chicken", it will give you a bunch of recipes for chicken. We have made a ton of their recipes and have liked them all so far! They have things like oven baked "fried" chicken, with crushed cornflakes. Or a pasta dish w/ chicken. Give it a try and good luck!
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Japanese Sauce

Ingredients:
    ¼ C Miso (soybean paste)
    ¼ C Mirin (rice wine)
    2 TBSP Rice vinegar
    3 TBSP Green onions, chopped
    2 inch Ginger root, grated
    2 tsp Sesame oil
  • mirapaigew
    mirapaigew Posts: 107
    Options
    I second the Italian dressing. Use fat free Italian dressing and you can marinate (don't have to) the chicken and then grill or even bake. Yummy!

^^^ This. And greek yogurt is a yummy sauce too.
  • marandaj77
    marandaj77 Posts: 13
    Options
    CITRUS CHICKEN MARINADE
    1/2 cup orange juice (juice of 1 orange)
    1/2 cup lemon juice (juice of 2 lemons)
    1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage or several leaves fresh, chopped
    1 1/2 inch section fresh ginger, peeled, minced
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    a few drops Tabasco or 1/4 teaspoon hot salt
  • rea1980
    rea1980 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of savory sauces on my meat rather than sweet, whcih is got to reduce calories but usually involves a slight increase in sodium.

What I like to do it season my meat, then sear or sautee it in a pan. Once the meat is done, remove it from the pan, do not remove the pan from the heat. Pour some sort or liquid into the pan, to deglaze it. You can use wine, broth, juice, liquor, even water(does not add flavor). this will pull all the residue off the bottom of the pan from cooking the meat. There is a ton of flavor there. You may want to add more seasoning to this to get your desired flavor. The last thing you need to do is thicken it up. This can be done by reducing it some or you can add a cornstarch flurry (cold water and cornstarch) to it. Do not mix the corn starch into hot liquid it will clump up. Pour the flurry into the hot liquid it will mix in nicely. Stir this while the starch thickens the sauce. Once it is thick remove it from the heat and you are done.

You can use a roux instead of cornstarch, but it will add more carbs into the sauce. There are also other thickening agents like tapico flour or arrow root. Cornstarch is my favorite because a little goes a long way, it reacts very fast and is inexspensive.
  • Dander
    Dander Posts: 26
    Options
    Try harissa paste;

1 teaspoon of Harissa
    1 clove of garlic
    3 teaspoons of olive oil

Mix together and spread on your meat before you grill it. Delicious served with brown rice and green vegetables.

Enjoy! x
  • sunnyrunner23
    sunnyrunner23 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Chiavetta's OH YEAH!!! Buffalo food is the best!!! don't forget Weber's mustard!!
  • susiederkins78
    Options
    I love this marinade for chicken or pork:
    1/4c orange juice
    1tsp salt
    1 tsp pepper
    1 tsp thyme
    1 tsp rosemary
    1 tsp poultry seasoning

marinade at least an hour, or overnight and grill or pan fry

I make chicken sauteed with onion and bell peppers all the time. There are so many options with it: Salad, tacos, soup. I add this basic sauce with whatever I have on hand.
    basic dressing:
    4 tbs fat free sour cream
    4 tbsp fat free creamer or milk
    1 tsp powdered ranch dressing mix

add in:
    1 tsp lime juice
    1/2 tsp chili powder
    dash of salt and pepper
    or
    1/2 dried hot pepper, like chipotle
    1/2 tsp cumin
    dash of lime juice
    or
    tbsp mashed avacado
    tsp chopped fresh cilantro

Those sauces are also great on shrimp tacos.

One more... This is a great mushroom sauce that goes well on anything:

1 tbsp margarine
    6oz mushrooms, sliced
    3 green onions, chopped
    1 clove garlic
    1 tbsp flour
    1 can 99%fat free beef broth
    1 cup decent red wine
    1/2 tsp ground thyme

soften mushrooms, onion, and garlic in butter. Add flour and mix well. Add beef broth and reduce by about 1/4. Add wine and reduce again to about 1/2. Add the thyme and salt and pepper to taste.