Reflective Running Gear

Options
Does anyone have any suggestions for reflective running gear? Unfortunately with daylight savings time it gets dark pretty quickly after I get home from work, and I don't feel safe running on the road in my neighborhood since no one can see me! I'm likely looking for a vest because I don't think I would like a headlamp, plus a headlamp wouldn't let drivers coming up behind me know I'm there.

Thanks!

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    When I'm in my training cycle next month, I'll be doing doubles and having to run before or after work. I don't mess around with visibility, so I wear a NoxGear "vest." It's an excellent visibility aid, and the inventor is in my running club. I don't want to be accused of spam, so just Google it if you're curious. Two people on my friend list got them and like them as well.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    I have the Black Diamond Sprinter headlamp which is a bright led light on the front, and a red blinker on the back -- it's also rechargeable. I have some running clothes from North Face that have reflective strips sewn into them and even my Lock Laces on my shoes have reflective bits in them.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I have a camelbak and it has reflective stuff on it. Always run facing traffic I have had to jump out of the way of bad drivers more times than I can count. Stay safe and have fun.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    A headlamp is so you can see as well.

I wear a reflective vest I got from Walmart (10$ compared to the 30$+ from the running shops and sporting goods stores). I've got reflective ankle bands as well that I wear. I run with Knuckle Lights so *I* can see the road and the pot holes. I've got a headlamp as well that I'll pull out if I ever get my butt out of bed for pre-work runs (less cars on the road so I'd rather a headlamp than the knuckle lights).

I've seen people with blinkie lights they attached to the back of their hats or jackets as well.
  • DarbiB
    DarbiB Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about those blinky bike lights? The ones that clip on? My roommate clips hers onto her back or her hood, and suggested that to me. I have seen her running around the neighborhood, when I drive home and personally I think she's more visible than the people wearing reflective gear, so I've started doing the same when I'm out for a run in the mornings.

So far I've not gotten run over!

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    If you're running at night then reflective and fluorescent is a good idea.

Most decent sports websites will have a "night running" section so pick something which fits in your budget within it. (For anyone based in the UK Decathlon has some really good value stuff I have found.)

A headlamp is also a good idea and can be picked up cheaply on Amazon.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    A headlamp is a good idea. I also bought a construction vest...it was less than $10 from Amazon. It's actually super comfortable to run in.

Edit: This is the one I have: http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-Visibility-Yellow-Zipper-Reflective/dp/B0030AA3YK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1415281485&sr=8-2&keywords=construction+vest

I'd size up if you'll be running in cold weather, they run a little small.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    emmoran wrote: »
    I'm likely looking for a vest because I don't think I would like a headlamp, plus a headlamp wouldn't let drivers coming up behind me know I'm there.
    Thanks!

Please make sure you are running AGAINST the flow of traffic, not with the flow of traffic.

• brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I have this vest and love the fit. It fits well around the waist area so it doesn't interfere with the swing of your arms when running.

I also have this which I attach to the little loop on the front of my vest.

• libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    When I'm in my training cycle next month, I'll be doing doubles and having to run before or after work. I don't mess around with visibility, so I wear a NoxGear "vest." It's an excellent visibility aid, and the inventor is in my running club. I don't want to be accused of spam, so just Google it if you're curious. Two people on my friend list got them and like them as well.

I just googled, thanks for the info. :)

• TJ_Law
    Options
    I used New Balance Vista safety lights for the back of my shoes...here is a link...http://www.newbalance.com/pd/visto-shoe-light/52025.html#color=Black_with_Red&size=OSFA
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Rather than buying new clothing, have you thought about lights and reflective bands/strips? IMO, small LED lights are a better option than reflective elements as lights are ALWAYS visible.
  • emmoran
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the suggestions! I do run against the flow of traffic, but the people in my condo community like to drive in the middle of the road for some reason (no painted lines), so I want to make sure I'm visible from behind as well.

The NoxGear vest looks really cool, but I'm not sure if it's in my price range right now. I'll check out WalMart (thanks for that suggestion, I never would have thought to look there!) and the more I think about it, a headlamp probably is a good idea. There's one spot on my route that has no light at all.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I wear a flashing arm band which I love, very comfortable and bright.
  • IzzieLee
    IzzieLee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Check out R U Seen. They have great reflective gear that is highly visible at night. Plus the designs are really cool.
  • alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Reflective is OK, but I prefer to be actively emitting light.
    I like the little blinky LED things you can hang on yourself, at least one on every side of the body.
    I am +/- on headlamps. On a trail or any other irregular surface, it's great to be able to see where you're going. Sometimes on the greenway, which gets a fair amount of spilled light, has a totally predictable surface and no obstacles, I actually kind of enjoy running in the dark - as long as the cyclists can see my blinkers I am good.
  • tgmichelleee
    tgmichelleee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I love evening/night runs but safety and visibility is always an issue for me (especially since some areas I run aren't properly lit and the side walk is not elevated)
    Here are a few things that work for me:

Neon reflective safety shirt or vest - I have both. Construction vests work great and they're cheaper than the ones specifically for running. I think you might be able to find some at thrift stores too (that's where I got mine)

White bandana - keeps the sweat off and is a light visible color that kind of reflects

Flashing LED bracelet - I think mine was like $2-3 and the batteries are replaceable and last a while.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I love the Nike Flash stuff (Google it). I don't have any yet because it's pricey as heck but so very cool.