• nuvimi
    nuvimi Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Once a week for me.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Every morning when I wake up. And I do log it every day, even the slight gains and fluctuations. I'm a bit of a data geek and I like to plot a chart and see trends. I don't worry about the slight gains from hormones / time of month, or post-exercise (like KristenE83 I tend to gain a bit the day after a particularly intense gym workout -- though I suspect it's mostly because I backload my calories on gym days and end up eating more food closer to bedtime.)

If it's bad for your motivation / if you tend to get obsessive, I'd suggest weighing less often and focusing more on non-scale victories like how your clothes fit.
  • 89Madeline
    89Madeline Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    It's different for everyone, I used to weigh myself once a week. Now I do it daily, not sure why. I like it, because I have some digestion issues and it can heavily affect my weight. When I know I'm on a 'bad' day and I know weighing will only upset me, I skip, but then I still weigh myself several times a week. Once a week will give you the most steady result I suppose, but I weigh (and log) daily. In the end the graph keeps going down (with some ups, but they don't frustrate me).

I'd have to say though, the danger of weighing every day could be that you want to 'starve' yourself on bad days. For example: you wake up and are heavier than you hoped for (due to water or whatever) and you feel like 'compensating' by eating too little that day. I caught myself doing that a few times, it's not good. That's when it gets obsessive. Doesn't happen to me anymore, but might be a slippery slope for some. So if you think you might fall for that, keep doing it once a week.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I weigh most days just for fun, but I only record on Monday mornings.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    no more than twice a month

29509743.png
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I weigh and record on Saturday morning unless I'm out of town, which is rarely.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    ab0z7b.jpg
    This is what I get when I weigh myself more than every two weeks.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I don't actually have a consistent weigh day. If I do happen to get on the scale it would probably be once or twice a month if ever.
  • yobadfish
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning but MFP is updated once per week.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Every morning. I only log it if its a new low; and if the scale is up- its fine as long as it doesn't stay up for longer than a week. Longer than 10 days means its a gain and I need to update my ticker. Its only happened a few times in the last 18 months. I track lows which does mean that sometimes it can takes days to see that number again and I normally exist in the 3lbs above my low record. It stops me from stressing about the variances.

"Too often" depends on your frame of mind. I only do first thing in the morning after I have visited my bathroom since its the time I am mostly likely to be at my lowest. I can fluctuate several pounds in a day so weighing later or again has no data value. Daily also means I don't have to stress or worry or get depressed when that weekly weigh in doesn't give me the info I want. My loss number tend to be smaller and more frequent, no amazing 3lb losses for me but I see regular progress so it keeps me happy.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Daily also means I don't have to stress or worry or get depressed when that weekly weigh in doesn't give me the info I want. My loss number tend to be smaller and more frequent, no amazing 3lb losses for me but I see regular progress so it keeps me happy.

This is also why I go with daily. It gives each weigh-in much less importance in the grand scheme of things. If I went with weekly or monthly, I'd probably build up anticipation around the number, and be disappointed if it showed a gain or a plateau. It's much easier for me with daily weigh-ins to put each number in perspective -- it's a data point, that's all.

For some people, I understand how seeing daily fluctuations could be demotivating, so this probably wouldn't work for them.
  • nickysbt
    Options
    I have a horrible habit of jumping on the scale any time I'm in the bathroom. I have a weekly schedule for logging purposes though to maintain consistency. And if I notice I'm starting to worry too much about the number I drop a cape (like you wear when you get your hair cut) over it until my next weekly weigh in.
  • Kellierahne
    Kellierahne Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh myself in the morning after I shower, but some days I forget to. I don't stress about it.
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    anyd18 wrote: »
    I weigh myself same as malibu every morning, but only log it once every 2 weeks (which is when I have my "check in" with my nutritionist). That way my chart doesn't fluctuate, the losses are "real" losses, not temporary so it gives me a more accurate picture.

^^^ This exactly. I weigh every day but only really log it when I see a loss or when I go to my Dr's to weigh in every 2 weeks.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Daily also means I don't have to stress or worry or get depressed when that weekly weigh in doesn't give me the info I want. My loss number tend to be smaller and more frequent, no amazing 3lb losses for me but I see regular progress so it keeps me happy.

This is also why I go with daily. It gives each weigh-in much less importance in the grand scheme of things. If I went with weekly or monthly, I'd probably build up anticipation around the number, and be disappointed if it showed a gain or a plateau. It's much easier for me with daily weigh-ins to put each number in perspective -- it's a data point, that's all.

For some people, I understand how seeing daily fluctuations could be demotivating, so this probably wouldn't work for them.

Me too. Weigh and log every day, and put it into a spreadsheet which means I can see how my weight fluctuates with TOM or vacation or whatever, but I only look at longer term trends.

When I started out I weighed and logged but didn't really look at it for the first 3 months, because the fluctuations hid the trend.

• MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. It's a love/hate relationship but it works for me. I update MFP about once per week.
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    everyday but log once a week.
  • Zohar94
    Zohar94 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    every 3 or 4 weeks..
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I weigh between 2 weeks- a month on average I have no set day but I make sure its the same time of day in same outfit etc