Is there any such thing as too much natural sugar?

Options
I'm trying to reduce processed foods from my diet as much as possible. So I started buying every kind of fruit/vegetable I can get my hands on. But now I'm worried that my diet is too fruit/sugar-heavy, even though it's a lot of natural sugars. I've heard a lot of conflicting reports on sugar, and not all of them specify whether they're talking about natural or added-sugar or both. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Sure. If the consumption of carbs with sugars is high enough that it interferes with other nutrients.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    in addition to general guidelines from reputable sources, experiment with your diet to see how you feel and perform. You can have too much or too little of something good or bad so don't go hog wild in either direction.
  • MaxPower0102
    MaxPower0102 Posts: 2,654 Member
    Options
    The sugar in fruit is a monosaccharide called fructose, a type of carbohydrate. Table sugar, in contrast, is a disaccharide known as sucrose. Eating too much sugar of any kind, whether it occurs naturally or not, can be harmful for the body. 2 to 4 servings of fruits per day is recommended.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    mjtunney wrote: »
    The sugar in fruit is a monosaccharide called fructose, a type of carbohydrate. Table sugar, in contrast, is a disaccharide known as sucrose. Eating too much sugar of any kind, whether it occurs naturally or not, can be harmful for the body. 2 to 4 servings of fruits per day is recommended.
    The sugar in fruit is not only fructose and some fruits are primarily a sucrose source......don't know why this seems to be a secret.

• Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Too much of anything isn't a good thing. Moderation in all things is the key.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    if there's such a thing as "too much water" (and there is), then you can have too much of pretty much anything
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    if there's such a thing as "too much water" (and there is), then you can have too much of pretty much anything
    Air?

love is like oxygen?
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I'd think you'd have to eating a TON of fruits in order to ingest that much natural sugar. Big difference in eating 10 apples vs 2 spoonfuls of just sugar
  • Chaotic_Weevil
    Chaotic_Weevil Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    There's such a thing as too much anything.

Except Michael Fassbender. There's no such thing as too much Michael Fassbender.

• wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    Air?

yepper
    betterbodychemistry.com/obesity/fresh-air-bad/

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_toxicity

science.howstuffworks.com/question493.htm
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I'd think you'd have to eating a TON of fruits in order to ingest that much natural sugar. Big difference in eating 10 apples vs 2 spoonfuls of just sugar

Not sure when I met the last person that did any of those.

One 12-ounce can of Coca-Cola contains 39 grams of sugar, which converts to approximately 2.6 tablespoons. Cherry Coke and Vanilla Coke both contain more sugar than the regular variety; both of these sodas contain 42 grams of sugar, or 2.8 tablespoons, per 12-ounce can.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    mjtunney wrote: »

only if you're a diabetic...lol
    Exactly.

Sugar is sugar. Shut up and eat all the candies! <3
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Dave198lbs wrote: »

Not sure when I met the last person that did any of those.

One 12-ounce can of Coca-Cola contains 39 grams of sugar, which converts to approximately 2.6 tablespoons. Cherry Coke and Vanilla Coke both contain more sugar than the regular variety; both of these sodas contain 42 grams of sugar, or 2.8 tablespoons, per 12-ounce can.

Exactly
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    There is some info on setting macros here. It is more geared towards higher protein. It depends on what your goal is. As long as you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight. I am still playing around with my macros

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1