Question For Mud Runners, Tough Mudders, Warrior Dashers, Et

alliecore
alliecore Posts: 446 Member
edited September 26 in Fitness and Exercise
So I'm participating in my first mud run in 8 days, and I'm crazy excited. I really want to hear from any of you who have completed a similar race. This particular one will be 10k, with approx 31 obstacles.

I feel very prepared physically, but I would welcome any input from you pros. :wink: How much did you rest up the week before? Did you change your diet any the day before the race (more carbs, etc.)? What did you eat pre-race? Did you use your HRM? (I have a Polar FT4, and it's a little too spendy to risk ruining in the mud....but if it's safe, I want to wear it.) How about gloves? I really think they would be beneficial for some of the climbing activities, but do any of you have experience? I will be wearing boots....any advice in that respect?

Any other tips or advice that you wish you would have known ahead of time? I want to hear it all! Trust me, NOTHING about this subject bores me, so give any and all detail that you wish to share! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    I have no suggestions for you but just want to wish you luck! Have fun!
  • gojanigo
    gojanigo Posts: 2
    My husband did one last year and LOVED it. He is already signed up for this year. The one he did was a 10k with around 70 obstacles (some of them were as small as jumping a puddle, while others were very physically challenging). He was required to wear pants and boots, and was glad he did. Given what he looked like at the finish, I would not recommend the monitor. He came through it pretty much unhurt, but with some pretty good blisters from the boots. He is a distance runner, and said that the mud run was harder than when he did a full marathon. That was probably due to the fact that there were 70 obstacles and he does not work out his upper body or core nearly enough as he could. Hope this helps, and god luck!
  • alliecore
    I have no suggestions for you but just want to wish you luck! Have fun!
    Thanks so much! It's gonna be awesome! :)
  • alliecore
    My husband did one last year and LOVED it. He is already signed up for this year. The one he did was a 10k with around 70 obstacles (some of them were as small as jumping a puddle, while others were very physically challenging). He was required to wear pants and boots, and was glad he did. Given what he looked like at the finish, I would not recommend the monitor. He came through it pretty much unhurt, but with some pretty good blisters from the boots. He is a distance runner, and said that the mud run was harder than when he did a full marathon. That was probably due to the fact that there were 70 obstacles and he does not work out his upper body or core nearly enough as he could. Hope this helps, and god luck!
    Thank you! Wow, 70 obstacles! That is a serious amount! It's very insightful to hear your perspective from watching him; and also that he said it was harder than a marathon. It will be a test of endurance, for sure. Thanks for your input!
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    I did warrior dash - only a 5k - and the obstacles were not as tough as I had anticipated. Plus you go in waves and for the first few spots you're really bunched up and end up walking and waiting in line. I'm not sure which one you're doing or how its set up to prevent that.

I didn't change anything - just made sure I could complete a 5k. I did it for fun. Worst part was going through the pond, mid chest for me, because it was freezing water.

I honestly think you'll be fine! I've seen your work outs and you're more then prepared.

ENJOY!!!
This discussion has been closed.