Fitbit Sync. Am I stupid?

Options
I'm fairly new here and was hoping someone could give me an idiots explanation on how Fitbit sync works.

I got one today and went for an hour walk. The Fitbit app on my iPhone told me I did 5000 and something steps and recoded the number of calories.

I then added the hour walk to MFP and the hour walk was then added again onto the Fitbit app.

I've read elsewhere that you should use MFP to log food and exercise and the Fitbit sync will just correct it with the actual calories and to more or less ignore the Fitbit app other than for syncing.

Am I right? Is there a more simple explanation?

Help!

TIA

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Anything step-based (walking/running) should not be logged. Fitbit will automatically tell MFP what you burned when you sync.
  • McBoffin
    McBoffin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    That makes sense. Thanks.

I deleted the walk from MFP and Fitbit has done its thing and apparently I burned 2 calories walking 5k in an hour in the rain. Which can't be right surely?

Maybe it's just teething trouble with averaging as I've only been using it for part of the day. Sorry for all of the questions but I'm a bit of a numbers geek.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Flex. I wear it all day and it syncs to MFP. I use MFP to log food and exercise. MAKE sure you put the time you started your hour walk in when logging your exercise in MFP. It will correct itself. If you need to go to the Fitbit app sync and make sure it is up to date then go to MFP app and sync.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Yeah, only having it on for a few hours is going to be a little off. In a few days, once it gets used to your movements, it should give you a more accurate sense of what you're burning.

Right now, MFP sees what you've burned (your BMR up to when you set up your Fitbit and everything after) and estimates how much you'll burn for the entire day. Move more, you get more calories. Move less, you get less or it will take some away. I wouldn't worry about the two calorie adjustment, since it is brand new. Just eat as normal, and things will look different tomorrow and in the future when you sync it.
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Do you have your activity settings in MFP on sedentary, lightly active, active...?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I set MFP to sedentary before I linked them. I don't log any step-related activities because fitbit will do those automatically. I log lifting, cycling, and any non-step activities at fitbit.com. I don't log any activities on MFP.
  • shireeniebeanie
    Options
    When Fitbit syncs up with its calories burned, MFP will adjust for the *additional* activity that would be considered over and above what's normal for your activity level.

I used to have my activity settings on sedentary since I'm at a desk all day, and MFP would add a lot more calories from my Fitbit activity. Once I increased my calories and my activity level to lightly active, it started taking more steps for MFP to give me any exercise adjustment.
  • Fit_Happens_2021
    Fit_Happens_2021 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Did you make sure to log the walk at the correct time? This will tell your fitbit dashboard the number you log on mfp. Alternatively you can just choose not to log step based exercise on mfp and instead just let fitbit keep track. I prefer to log on mfp with the calories my heart rate monitor says I used but I make sure to get the time correct so fitbit knows.
  • McBoffin
    Options
    I must have a head injury :-/

I've added the walk at the correct start time MFP has synced and given me 53 calories for it which seems a bit unlikely as I'm 6'4 and 19 stone, walking for an hour.

Now the FB app thinks I've been active for 5 minutes.

I feel a nose bleed coming on.......
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Welcome to the awesome world of FitBit!

I only log exercise that is not step based, and when I log exercise I only log it on the FitBit site. I've never had a problem with mine other than an occasional sync-lag.

There is a great group for FitBit users here, lots of good info!

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • McBoffin
    Options
    Do you have your activity settings in MFP on sedentary, lightly active, active...?

Sedentary. I couldn't find "Lazy 40 something" :-)
  • McBoffin
    Options
    Welcome to the awesome world of FitBit!

I only log exercise that is not step based, and when I log exercise I only log it on the FitBit site. I've never had a problem with mine other than an occasional sync-lag.

There is a great group for FitBit users here, lots of good info!

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

I've joined that too. Seems to be like something out of Hogwarts so far but I'm sure I'll get it eventually :-)
  • pjhogan8
    pjhogan8 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I log everything on MFP with the exact times and let Fitbit do its adjustments. My goal on Fitbit is 10,000 Steps a day, so often, I don't see lots of smiley face goal achievements on Fitbit until after that goal has been reached. Fitbit will deduct from MFP calories earned from exercise, by about half it seems, unless I've already achieved 10K steps, then it's gravy after that, I think? I'm new to this as well. Just started Week 2 on both myself. Sometimes I have to actually log onto my computer for full synching for some reason as the Fitbit App doesn't always register the calories out, so twice now it's said I didn't do anything. Strange, but when I log in and synch online, it seems to send that message to the app eventually.

I'm nervous to add Endomondo to the mix as I think it would be just too confusing, but some say they are doing it without problem.

Good luck! Happy stepping. :)
  • McBoffin
    Options
    So to correct this. Delete the walk from MFP and it'll all sort itself out. Do I need to add the walk to FB? Surely that defeats the object of having the thing measure your walking.

*places damp towel on head*
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    McBoffin wrote: »
    So to correct this. Delete the walk from MFP and it'll all sort itself out. Do I need to add the walk to FB? Surely that defeats the object of having the thing measure your walking.

*places damp towel on head*

That sounds right to me. Just about the only thing I log on FB is when I swim (I have the FB One and it's not waterproof)

I never log anything step-based, I let FB sort it out :)

• McBoffin
    Options
    Right. So I'm feeling slightly less stupid ...

Delete the walk from MFP. Don't add it to FB and it'll all sort itself out?

I must admit that I could probably have burned more calories on the sofa scratching my head than its credited me for for the walk.
  • shireeniebeanie
    edited November 2014
    Options
    No, do not double-log your walk. If the Fitbit app seems to show an appropriate number of steps or amount of activity during that time, leave it alone.

And capecodlady8, I do not recommend linking either account to Endomondo! When I did, it took my info from Fitbit, copied it to MFP, and then copied it back to Fitbit, so my activity (even my daily number of steps) was suddenly tripled. Having to go back through both accounts and delete the extra entries was a headache I didn't need!

ETA: I love all the extra data that Endomondo offers on my workouts, but I still let Fitbit log all the activity. If Endomondo says the workout was more strenuous than Fitbit, I'll just let it be extra burn in the bank.
  • McBoffin
    Options
    McBoffin wrote: »
    Right. So I'm feeling slightly less stupid ...

Delete the walk from MFP. Don't add it to FB and it'll all sort itself out?

I must admit that I could probably have burned more calories on the sofa scratching my head than its credited me for for the walk.

Groan. I've taken the walk off and MFP has now added 10 calories on rather than taking them off.

Can that be right?
  • shireeniebeanie
    Options
    Let it go. It'll be okay tomorrow! :)
  • jdfitzctb
    jdfitzctb Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Here's how Fitbit support explained it in "simple" terms if syncing with myfitnesspal...
    Never log any exercises in "Fitbit". Log whatever exercises you want in myfitnesspal whether they be walking oriented (treadmill), elliptical, step machines, etc...but make sure you put in your start and finish time. The myfitnesspal program will then "know" not to count step activity during that period. They also said I could just leave it in the car when I go to the gym and put it back on when I'm done. I do better leaving it on because that reminds me to log my exercises.