Shrinking

Options
I wasn't sure where to post this, so here it is. In high school, I always measured at about 5'7.5. I was not the tallest girl, but was certainly taller than most.

Today, my students were doing the Fitness Gram so I had one of the coach's measure me and it said I was 5'6. How is that possible?? I'm only 44 and don't have osteoporosis. I know it shouldn't bother me, but it really does! And I'm still taller than most of the other women I know, so does that mean that they're shrinking too? I'm not ready to be short!!!

Replies

• bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I lost an inch as well... and I'm only 21! :sad:
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I`m 29 and I used to be 5`9 and now i`m 5`8. It happens. Doesnt mean anything is wrong with your bones, it just happens.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    just sounds like a snafu in measuring!

have someone measure you at home and see what happens...
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    Sadly, mid-30s is when you start to shrink. It's more noticeable in tall people (you have more space between vertebrae). Some start earlier, some much later...

The old sayings
    You're only as old as you feel (for the optimists)
    It's all downhill from here (for the pessimists)
    Meh, what do you do? (for the realists)

You get to pick which one....
  • l3xii
    l3xii Posts: 160
    Options
    I lost an inch as well... and I'm only 21! :sad:
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    SORRY IT WAS FUNNY THE WAY YOU SAID IT.... TYPED IT :laugh: YOU GET WHAT IM SAYING
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Measuring can be part of it but all the cushy stuff in our bodies start to compress from the moment we start to walk upright so as the cartilage (and later bone) give way to age and gravity we shrink....
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Well crap I am barely 5' if I shrink I am screwed!
  • running_mom
    running_mom Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    ^ I was just thinking the same thing. :smile: Im 5 1
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options

Us shorties don't shrink as much. Everyone has the same amount of vertebrae (33). When you shrink, the space between vertebrae is compressed. So, we have less to compress.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

Us shorties don't shrink as much. Everyone has the same amount of vertebrae (33). When you shrink, the space between vertebrae is compressed. So, we have less to compress.

Woot!
  • akjean
    akjean Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It's most likely a combination of the person measuring differences as well as height loss due to intervertebral disc compression. As everyone ages, we lose the disc height that keeps our vertebrae cushioned. It's natural and normal, just not always fun! Try measuring your height first thing in the morning right after you get out of bed - you might find that you gain a little bit of height since gravity isn't causing compression of your spine during the night!
  • lersie
    lersie Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I used to be 5'10" and now am 5'8" and only a few years older than you. Doc said it was because of when I broke my back falling off a horse in high school or so she thought.