College, Studying, Stress

Options
Two weeks of hell ahead. Midterms weeks are always diet control disasters. I always make bad choices because I am stressed out and then I stress our about the bad choice! I need to just relax... Silly thing is that I know this and cannot. Terrible day of eating plus I just made myself a HUGE batch of cookie dough to help power through an all night study session. I need some serious inspiration this week... Anybody else out there trying to work, study and stay sane and healthy? Any tips for combating the stress and on track even when the studying get tough? Any body else just need to vent that sometimes it's just hard to keep on track?!

Replies

• abaker768
    abaker768 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    That's why I take psych meds!!!!!
  • arabellastrange
    Options
    I feel for you. Been there done that! I have to say my degrees owe a lot to coffee, but here's what I would eat for studyathons:
    Before you start, porridge. Low GI, stamina and fullness last for ages.
    To pick at: pieces of grilled chicken breast (usually spicy) Protein also makes you feel fuller longer.
    Third, for an energy boost: Bananas and strawberries. Instant energy with out quite the same crash as cookie dough!
    For the stress, good planning of what you are going to do in each session. And never procrastinate. It only increases stress. Timetable in relaxation and brief spurts of walking etc.
    If you would like detailed help on this befriend me; I teach at college and help with this sort of stuff.
    Wishing you the very best of luck :)
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Heya! I'm taking a year out of university (due to health reasons) but trust me, there was a LOT of eating/studying combinations during term-time... I was eating way too much in the name of studying!

I've learned however (I'm still studying during my year out) that revising/studying on an emptier stomach is less 'comfortable' but usually ends up with me getting more studying done. I don't feel sluggish, sleepy - both of which stop me from being effective - and I also spend less time actually shoving things into my mouth (!).

Definitely take on board everyone else's excellent suggestions. I'm doing better now I'm realising my over-eating was a form of procrastination from doing what I had to do. Which is weird, because I really enjoy learning things...

If you find yourself working less effectively, don't take a snack break! Now I tend to change what I'm doing completely and do some physical exercise or have a shower or something which requires little mental brain power. Usually I'm much more energised and - after I've caught my breath - I feel neither hungry nor in a procrastinating mindset anymore. Eating is usually due to boredom.

Snack on healthy things if you're definitely hungry. When I go back to university I'm definitely stocking up on grapes and other fruit, no question! Strawberries are filling and free (and it's coming up to the right season now - they're starting to get tasty). :)

Sorry this was a mish-mash post, but maybe there was something useful in it? Friend me if you like - I'm still studying away and it might be nice to have other students in your time line :)
  • IngeborgB
    IngeborgB Posts: 27
    Options
    I am so in the same boat here! Studying all day, working evenings and weekends, and for the rare occassion of an evening off... More studying!

I am also making some really bad choices, when in need of a fast pick me up. The days are usually fine, but come late afternoon and nights, i am so tired, I need something extra to boost my energy.

I am also a vegan, so that chicken idea does not appeal to me. I usually try to snack on fruit and nuts, but even that gets me way over what I should be eating. And since I am not always home, It's hard to find time to cook my own food. When I do, I make huge batches and freeze them wich is excellent for fast healthy lunches!

Thank god this will only go on for four more weeks. If anyone has any tips, I sure would appreciate them!
  • celtickarasu
    Options
    I'm a full time grad student teaching undergrad classes. I'm also in finals week, though for me that means 20 page papers rather than traditional exams, and I have to grade 19 manuscripts of poetry for the class I teach. At the end of every semester I have a 2 week manic binge that screws everything up. I just pulled myself out of this semester's. I went for 5 days without sleep, not taking my meds since they put me to sleep, and feeling so sick from both of those and all the stress that I was so nauseated I lived off tea and soup the entire time. That really messes with your digestive system in unpleasant ways. Now I'm eating solid food snacks that are healthy calorie-wise, but they are all carbs so I'm going over in my carbs and falling under on my calories. Maybe someday the academic chaos won't win the battle of my health and sanity, but this semester is not that day. Good luck. It sounds like we both need it.
  • ucfsn118
    ucfsn118 Posts: 14
    Options
    Honestly I completely understand with the whole stress thing, but with my class load and finals, I'm so stressed out and focused on doing well I usually forget to eat, my problem isn't eating too much or too much junk food, my problem is not getting nutrients in my body. Just do your best to beat the next 2 weeks, keep your chin up, stay motivated, and study hard! I know it might sound cliche, but you can really do anything you put your mind to! Thankfully I have one final left and I get to relax for a week or two, but if you need any help with anything or need motivation add me as a friend and I'll do my best to help you out!!