Sooo guilty, but big plans!

Options
So, let me start off with the good news. I went to my doctors for a physical on Tuesday and -yay!- I've lost 12lbs!

But then yesterday I had a bit of a break down and sort of hit the chips and twinkies pretty hard. I lost count after 1,000 calories. I was SO upset with myself, but I had a feeling it was coming, since I haven't cheated even a little in two months.

None the less, I'm so diappointed in myself for letting this happen. The 1,000 was in the junk alone, not even including the other things. My calorie goal is 1,200, and I usually eat around 1,000.

But, this weekend I'm going backpacking and we're supposed to be walking for 30 hours total, at about 15 hours a day, carrying 35 pound backpacks. This is going to burn a lot of calories, so does anyone think it'll weigh out the bad day?

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    You haven't "cheated" in a while? You need to reevaluate how you approach nutrition.
  • r5d5
    r5d5 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't feel so bad! Slip ups happen! Maybe if you allow yourself to enjoy foods you like more often, you wouldn't necessarily consume so much of it at one time. You can definitely incorporate it into your diet! It's ok to go over your calorie limit once in a while. Life happens! Don't be so hard on yourself. Just breathe, enjoy your backpacking (and the twinkies!) and move on!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    vlheureux wrote: »
    So, let me start off with the good news. I went to my doctors for a physical on Tuesday and -yay!- I've lost 12lbs!

But then yesterday I had a bit of a break down and sort of hit the chips and twinkies pretty hard. I lost count after 1,000 calories. I was SO upset with myself, but I had a feeling it was coming, since I haven't cheated even a little in two months.

None the less, I'm so diappointed in myself for letting this happen. The 1,000 was in the junk alone, not even including the other things. My calorie goal is 1,200, and I usually eat around 1,000.

But, this weekend I'm going backpacking and we're supposed to be walking for 30 hours total, at about 15 hours a day, carrying 35 pound backpacks. This is going to burn a lot of calories, so does anyone think it'll weigh out the bad day?

I think the bigger issue is the likelihood that you will pass out on your 15 hour a day, 35 lb pack carrying hike because you only eat 1000 calories a day.

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    You should eat the full 1200 calories plus 1/2-3/4 of you're exercise calories. MFP has the calories deficit built in so eat all your calories plus some exercise calories!
    Eat treats within your calorie goal so you won't go on a crazy sugar binge, although everyone does at times and it's ok.
    We all slip up at times but it's easier to slip up if you are undereating.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen a twinkie in over a decade.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

I think the bigger issue is the likelihood that you will pass out on your 15 hour a day, 35 lb pack carrying hike because you only eat 1000 calories a day.

^This. I hope that you plan to eat adequately on your hike.
  • vlheureux
    Options
    LoraF83 wrote: »
    kgeyser wrote: »

^This. I hope that you plan to eat adequately on your hike.
    Of course; and I intend to eat more than 1,000 calories on the hike, I don't want to hurt myself. We have a lot of different foods packed to eat along the way. This isn't my first rodeo either; I go on hikes longer thn this a few times a year. Then I brought junk, but not I know enough to bring trail mix and such.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Why are you only eating a 1000 calories? Your body obviously needed the extra food you ate, good job!