Roll over calories?

Options
If you guys are under your daily calorie intake for the day, do you add them to the next day? And by the same token, if you go OVER on your calorie intake, do you deduct them for the next day? That's what I've been doing. Any advice?

Replies

• AnneMK5
    AnneMK5 Posts: 110
    Options
    It doesn't work that way. No roll over minutes like with AT&T, lol. You get what you get for the day and that's it. Each day is a fresh start.
  • 1FitMom326
    1FitMom326 Posts: 228
    Options
    I have not done this, just for the fact that I don't want to have to worry about wha tthe deficit was the prior day. I don't think it would hurt though because you are working on an overall deficit for weight loss. It is the same idea as zig zagging calories.
  • faerybun
    faerybun Posts: 65
    Options
    Yeah, definitely doesn't work that way. Your body and metabolism resets every 24 hours. [:
  • aanddplusoanda
    aanddplusoanda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is a new day. If I go over for the day I do not deduct them from the next and if I am under, (I try to get as much calories in that I can so that I am not under) I do not get more calories for the next day. If I want more calories for the day I make sure I squeeze in some exercise.
  • shawny519
    shawny519 Posts: 20
    Options
    no
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I always aim to meet my calorie goal. If I'm under and I'm absolutely not hungry, I don't worry about it because it doesn't happen that often. If I go over a little I don't worry about it because it doesn't happen that often. I treat every day as an individual day, I don't save calories, I just don't worry about it.
  • NoPyForYou
    NoPyForYou Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It kinda depends really. A lot of people work out their weekly intake and weekly deficit. In a case like that, deficits from one day balance out overages from another. Ultimately, your body doesn't say "Oh, it's midnight, I need to start over" the way that your diary on MFP does. Everything balances out in the end. If you have enough of a deficit for the week, despite a day of (moderated) over indulging, your still likely to see a change in the scales.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    This is debateable. No I don't make a habit of "rolling over" my calories. However, if on occassion I'm under one day and the next I'm over, I tend to think they even each other out. I don't intentionally do it, nor do I make a habit of it, but if it happens, I call it even :bigsmile:
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I'd say as long as you're awake... it's the same day. Otherwise, no bueno. Although, I suppose the lines can be blurred if you ever pull an all nighter like I do sometimes and party until 6am. But since I'm still awake, It counts for the day I started. At least for me. But every other day, if I'm over, i'm over. I just push myself a little harder the next day to do better.
  • Windi38
    Windi38 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Yeah, definitely doesn't work that way. Your body and metabolism resets every 24 hours. [:

where did you hear that?

I just don't worry about it too much, because honestly, it's a guessing game in the end anyway. We never know exactly how many calories we burn, and honestly, unless you are extremely picky about what you eat and you weigh and measure everything, you are just guessing on the calories too. It still helps to keep track of course, but I personally can't stress out over that sort of thing.
  • ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    If you guys are under your daily calorie intake for the day, do you add them to the next day? And by the same token, if you go OVER on your calorie intake, do you deduct them for the next day? That's what I've been doing. Any advice?

Actually, the latest research says that its the number of carbs we eat that determine our Adipostat (think of it as a body fat percentage set point like a thermostat). There is additionally a lot of research that says our gut flora does more to determine whether we're obese or fit than how much we eat. People that count calories have been proven to eat more calories than people who count carbs. In the end, to make fitness permanent, science says we have to reset our adipostat. I was stuck at the same weight for 5 months, did some intense research, tried the best science I could locate and shed 12 lbs in 18 days. Now i'm eating *lots* of healthy food, shedding weight at a happy pace, stronger and healthier.

In the end, even if researchers disagree, your results tell the tale. Are you moving steadily toward your goal in a safe measurable way? If so, keep up whatever you find that works. If not, time to make a change.
  • biketrainingblog
    Options
    Starvation mode is a myth. L O L.
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    So not true :P

But it is easier about treat each day as a new day.

I mostly try and keep an eye on the weekly averages though, one day, the next, not so important as what I do all week.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I dunno. That's kind of how weight watchers works with the weekly flex points... I don't think it's a problem. But yeah, not every body works the same. Try it, see what happens, adjust accordingly.
  • CraigIW
    CraigIW Posts: 176
    Options
    No, and if I'm under calories I am happy as I will lose more weight.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I came here from Weight Watchers, which gives you extra calories (Points) for exercise that DO rollover, but only for one week. And I lost a lot of weight doing that (saving up activity points for special occasions or eating out)...

So I have to say that although it's not what MFP says to do, it's perfectly okay to roll over some of the exercise calories as long as you stay within a week time frame... Of course this is my opinion.

All I know is that when I tried to stick to my 1310 calories on my day of rest, I couldn't do it. So I've decided to leave behind a few exercise calories every day that I exercise so that on my DOR I will have some calories to spare.