Arm troubles

Options
_Blues_
_Blues_ Posts: 62 Member
The bane of my existence is my arms, they are huge and I have a slight roll in them. Currently I have lost 33lbs but no change in my arms. I walk 60 minutes at least 4x a week, I use a kettle bell and 5lbs weights at least 2x a week. To all the people out there who have had trouble with their arms what did you do that actually started to work?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit will work
  • _Blues_
    Options
    That is what I have been doing but I haven't seen change in my arms yet.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    It won't all change at once. Arms may be the last place you lose from. Add in more weights and keep up cardio
  • ticktanker
    ticktanker Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    a boxercise class was recently mentioned as one of the best forms of exercise for toning up your arms and help to rid of some excess there.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    lexmcrae wrote: »
    That is what I have been doing but I haven't seen change in my arms yet.
    Have you been taking measurements? How long have you given it? Honestly our bodies will choose where to lose the fat from.
    To all the people out there who have had trouble with their arms what did you do that actually started to work?

No way to know. It will vary from person to person. Although, if you haven't taken measurements, it is possible that it is already working and you just haven't lost enough for it to be visibly noticable. Also, it sometimes takes our brains awhile to "see it."
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit is the thang my dear. I do suggest using heavier than 5 pounds though, when you lose the fat they will look even better.
  • mrsKOrtiz
    mrsKOrtiz Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    She's stated that she has lost 33 pounds.. I am guessing that a calorie deficit was it! :)
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Cal deficit and heavy compound lifts was my recipe.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Be patient. Your arms will catch up with your expectations eventually.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    She's stated that she has lost 33 pounds.. I am guessing that a calorie deficit was it! :)

And the commenter was stating...continue this. There's no way to spot reduce. You have to lose the fat through calorie deficit.
  • MMulder68
    MMulder68 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy. Start out low but heavy is the key. 5 lb weights ain't gonna cut it. And a caloric deficit.
  • _Blues_
    Options
    Thanks you all for your input, I am trying to be patient and I am proud of how far I have come, I am so much happier with the person I see today. I just wish my arms would have gone first lol. I plan to incorporate a lot more weights into my workouts I just have been unable to afford them, honestly I am waiting for January when the gym membership start up fee is a dollar right now it is 150.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

yes, and the only way to get thinner arms is to carry on with a calorie deficit and lose more fat...
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Thanks you all for your input, I am trying to be patient and I am proud of how far I have come, I am so much happier with the person I see today. I just wish my arms would have gone first lol. I plan to incorporate a lot more weights into my workouts I just have been unable to afford them, honestly I am waiting for January when the gym membership start up fee is a dollar right now it is 150.

For now side planks and regular planks will help condition your arms amazingly well!
  • DiamondDiva914
    DiamondDiva914 Posts: 50 Member
    Options

Lordy! What gym do you go to??? I have a Planet Fitness membership. No startup fee, and it's $10.00 a month; $20.00 if you want the Black Card membership. But, I feel you about the arms. my arms look like gigantic loaves of lumpy bread! So very unsexy! But, I've recently incorporated weight training in with my cardio, so hopefully, I will start to see a change soon. Keep at it, and congrats on your weight loss, so far!
  • alliums
    alliums Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Lol I just had to say @DiamondDiva914 your arms sound like mine!! " like gigantic loaves of lumpy bread! " that made me laugh

I'm measuring, and my waist is going down, my chest :(, and hips. But my arms are still 14" and shirts v tight... Just takes time I hope!

Good luck to you.
  • Az1979
    Az1979 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem with my arms. my biggest prob is that i can't do much strength work, my shoulders have become really weak, even having a cardigan on feels too heavy!!... hope your problem areas are melted off soon!!
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    Definitely lift heavier weights and do a variety of arm exercises. If you don't have weights available to you, other than your kettlebells do lots of planks, as someone else mentioned. They're great for your arms and your core. Plus, I bet there has been a change in your arms, but since they are a body part you don't like you're probably much more critical of them!

Be grateful you have 2 healthy, functioning arms and start treating them as re-shaping them rather than reducing. End result will be the same, but changing your mind-set a bit helps with progress. Keep it up!
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I have sumowrestler arms - they have always been huge! But after losing nearly 60lbs I can finally wear a normal woman's blouse because the fat is no longer there - however - the skin is and that will never go away at my age.
    You are young so you have a much better chance of losing the fat and skin if you keep losing weight and working those arms. Be patient - it will happen. Maybe they will not ever be as small as you'd like, because we are all different - but they will get better.
    Hang in there
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I hear ya, my arms are still gross but I've noticed the little roll in them is gone now, now I'm just worrying about the batwings. Lol. Lift heavier weights, that's what I do. Back and Bi's one day, Chest/Shoulders/Tri's the next. Keep upping your weight, you'll get there, it's all about losing fat and gaining muscle. :smiley:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!