Lose weight running on treadmill

Options
I've heard that using a treadmill doesn't give you results like running outside does. Any input?

Replies

• Bgirl72
    Bgirl72 Posts: 25 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My trainer hates the treadmill because he says that it can't simulate the slopes and grades of being outside; essentially outside is better because it causes you to exert more varying energy during the workout .... ( he feels that you don't really get to challenge your body on a treadmill because it quickly gets used to it)....
  • Esco5556
    Esco5556 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had huge results on the treadmill. I do 60 min of HIIT (high intensity interval training) at least 4 days a week. I switch between the treadmill, stair climber, bike, and elliptical. I have only ran outside once and didn't like how i couldn't control the incline, I feel that's what really gets your heart going.

I've lost 70 lbs in 6 months.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I've heard that, too, and I think it's bs. I mean, if you're training for a marathon or something, sure-- go outside and get used to the real thing. But for just burning calories? The treadmill's fine.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is about keeping your heart rate up for an extended period of time. It doesn't really matter how you do that. The treadmill has been an integral part of my training of my running since I started 3 years ago. I use one because I'm not a fan of running in the dark during the week, and I do my long runs outside on the weekends. Over the past 11 months, I've lost almost 60 pounds and improved my marathon time by 70 minutes. One of the things I really like about treadmills, is it's easier to set the level of intensity and control the workout parameters. Sometimes the weather doesn't cooperate with workout goals.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight, concentrate on your diet and forget about the fitness element. Its much less important for weightloss.

Eat better food and reduce your calories. I've been doing it all year. Have only recently taken up fitness and i'm doing it for the sake of fitness and health, not for weight loss.

I've done it with exercise in the past. Can't keep it up in the longterm and end up fat again. I'm tired of the yo yo.
  • jmknapp1955
    jmknapp1955 Posts: 1 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    A lot of people minimize the effect of exercise on weight, saying for example that running for one mile only consumes 100 calories, which is equivalent to half a Coke or something.

But how about this argument, looking at it from a systems perspective. Most people regardless of weight are roughly in balance in their caloric input and output. Their average daily intake is just enough to maintain their current weight at their current activity levels. Calorie consumption is roughly proportional to weight, so for example a steady 170 pound person who consumes an average 2000 calories per day requires 2000/170 = 12 calories per pound to maintain their body weight.

Now, if all other things are held constant (tricky, yes), if that person expended 100 extra calories every day, they would lose weight slowly (taking over a year) for a net of 100/12 = 8 pounds. At that point the average input and output would balance again.

Not too bad for running a mile--assuming one doesn't reward oneself by eating an extra cookie!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    mags080611 wrote: »
    I've heard that using a treadmill doesn't give you results like running outside does. Any input?

Broadly it depends on what results you're after.

From a running performance perspective, a dreadmill will let you get the miles in but you'd need to set expectations about how that translates to running outdoors. If you train on a dreadmill then you'd expect a slower race pace out in the real than you're able to get on the machine. It also doesn't train you to deal with the environment. As identified upthread, it's entirely controllable.

The other aspect is that in the real you're always dealing with a variety of movements, which gives you a more rounded development. That's particularly prevalent with trail running where your landing and steps are rarely the same.

It's also boring as f**k

If you're only interested in calorie expenditure, then it really doesn't matter.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Outside is better. However treadmill beats the couch everyday. Consistency is the key.

29509743.png
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Yeah, treadmills are rubbish. Run in the road. Treadmills do some of the work for you and make you believe you are running further than you actually are. Much better invest in a GPS watch if you are going to buy anything.