how often for cardio?

Options
I do it every workout for at least 20 minutes. I feel it's what I need, underneath all this fat I'm pretty strong. I do a lot of circuit training as well, but I feel that cardio is necessary for me.

The times I've gone and only done warmup cardio, I don't really feel like I've worked out at all...

Replies

• RPNKA
    RPNKA Posts: 28
    Options
    In order to burn fat you must do cardio. The two go hand and hand. I do 25 to 30 minutes sessions 3-5 times a week depending how busy my work week is.
  • Vmsunderland
    Options
    I do a min of 20 min for cardio unless I'm jogging...... then I jog a mile and call it golden
  • Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options
    I do between 30 and 60 minutes about 4 times a week. But it's to benefit my Diabetes.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I do 35-40 minutes of cardio on the days I do weights and 60 minutes on the days I don't.
  • FitnessChefJime
    FitnessChefJime Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I do it every workout for at least 20 minutes. I feel it's what I need, underneath all this fat I'm pretty strong. I do a lot of circuit training as well, but I feel that cardio is necessary for me.

The times I've gone and only done warmup cardio, I don't really feel like I've worked out at all...

Do cardio as often as you can..

Always start with 5-10 min light cardio warmup before you workout then do your circuit training and end with a 30-45+ cardio session.. Recipe for success =)
  • jcpeters13
    jcpeters13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I usually do a 10 minute warm-up of some kind of cardio, then whatever weights I need to do depending on the area I'm targeting, then 30 more minutes of cardio. I read this article about how doing cardio last actually burns more fat. It's pretty interesting, if you want to give it a read.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/training-day/201104/warm-cardio-then-go-weights-right-wrong
  • FitnessChefJime
    Options
    I do 35-40 minutes of cardio on the days I do weights and 60 minutes on the days I don't.

Yes! What she said!!
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I do 1 to 2 hrs of exercise bike a day. Cardio is what really helped me lose the weight I have so far! :)
  • FitnessChefJime
    Options
    I do 1 to 2 hrs of exercise bike a day. Cardio is what really helped me lose the weight I have so far! :)

Right On!!!
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    my thoughts...
    Cardio needs to be 25-45 min
    Do it with intensity to burn fat and keep burning after, u need to finish feeling like you pushed urself to the limit, if not ur not working hard enoigh, its not bout time but intensity. Do cardio as many days u want but always follow with some strength training....
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Personally I do cardio 6-7 days a week 1-2 hours and do strength training 2-3 days a week. It's working great for my weight loss so far, but will probably do more strength training as I get closer to my goal.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    my thoughts...
    Cardio needs to be 25-45 min
    Do it with intensity to burn fat and keep burning after, u need to finish feeling like you pushed urself to the limit, if not ur not working hard enoigh, its not bout time but intensity. Do cardio as many days u want but always follow with some strength training....

Actually, it's better to do a 5-10 minute cardio warm up, then 30ish minutes of strength training, followed by 30 minutes of cardio. Doing it that way helps your body burn the maximum amount of fat.
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Here's my typical workout schedule: I walk during breaks/lunch at work (M-F). Anywhere from 20 - 40 minutes whenever the weather is nice.

Sunday: Yoga, 1 hr and housework.
    Monday: Ballet, 1 hr
    Tuesday: (night school)
    Wednesday: Pilates, 45 min
    Thursday: (night school)
    Friday: cardio at the gym, 30 minutes to an hour.
    Saturday: Pilates, 45-60 min and housework.
  • cupfanncbms
    cupfanncbms Posts: 101
    Options
    I do a minimum of 50 minutes elliptical 5 or 6 times a week, and I do the circuit at Curves (which combines resistance strength training and cardio) 5 days a week. Some days, I'll add in some extra things like a nice brisk walk with the kids or the circuit at the regular gym.
  • Windi38
    Windi38 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Personally, Cardio for over an hour (via biking or vigorous hiking with the dogs) 6 days a week is the only thing that has helped me lose weight.

When I finally got serious about working out, I started biking and would head out on the bike trail and not turn around until I had gone 30 minutes. And when I walked the dogs, I'd stay out for at least an hour. I've lost 11 pounds in the last month this way, and have only gone to the gym to do weights about once a week. And I'm up to an hour and a half out on the bike or walking the dogs.

I've got 50+ pounds to lose, so I'm sure that has something to do with it.
  • aanddplusoanda
    aanddplusoanda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I get cardio in daily chasing my kids out of things. LOL I feel miserable if I don't get some sort of cardio in for the day.
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I do 65 mins every other day.