Would 'Yogalospohy' by Mandy Ingber count as strength training?

Options
I've recently purchased 'Yogalospohy' by Mandy Ingber (DVD and book set) and was wondering if the sequence would count as strength training as a lot of the moves use body resistance? I'm only just starting up with strength training again after a 4 month break and I'm not entirely comfortable jumping right in with heavy weights right away, so I'm sticking to body weight training for the first few weeks.

Replies

• Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Is it Ashtanga yoga? I've never done the one you mentioned there specifically, but I've done plenty of Ashtanga routines that I'd be comfortable calling weight training. That *kitten* is hard. :p
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I think it would be a bit of a reach to call it strength training. Will you get stronger to a degree? Yes, but that's true regarding just about any form of exercise. To me, strength training requires progressive resistance increases over a large period of time at the very least.
  • NakeshiaBeard
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    I think it would be a bit of a reach to call it strength training. Will you get stronger to a degree? Yes, but that's true regarding just about any form of exercise. To me, strength training requires progressive resistance increases over a large period of time at the very least.

So body weight resistance isn't classed as strength training? Personally I can barely do one push up, so right now I could not add any more resistance to such exercises.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Progressive bodyweight resistance is strength training. Yoga is only progressive to a point and that point will be reached quickly.

Don't get me wrong, I love yoga but it isn't the same as strength training (much as strength training isn't yoga).
  • NakeshiaBeard
    Options
    Progressive bodyweight resistance is strength training. Yoga is only progressive to a point and that point will be reached quickly.

Don't get me wrong, I love yoga but it isn't the same as strength training (much as strength training isn't yoga).

This is yoga combined with body weight resistance (planks, pushups, lunges, tricep dips etc) :-)
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options

This is yoga combined with body weight resistance (planks, pushups, lunges, tricep dips etc) :-)

Yoga generally includes those in some shape or form. Unless you're continually moving to harder and harder variations, it isn't going to increase your strength for long.