Lowest calories for complete RDA

Options

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone's suggesting anyone try 800.

I'm not sure what Dr. Berstein Diet is but B12 is given to dieters as a supposed energy booster, not to address vitamin deficiency.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/weight-loss/expert-answers/vitamin-b12-injections/faq-20058145

They also say gallstones are your biggest risk.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/low-calorie-diets

"What Are the Side Effects of Very Low-Calorie Diets?
    People on a very low-calorie diet for 4 to 16 weeks report minor side effects such as fatigue, constipation, nausea, and diarrhea. These conditions usually improve within a few weeks and rarely prevent people from completing the program.

Gallstones are most common serious side effect seen with very low-calorie diets. Gallstones are more common during rapid weight loss. It’s unclear whether very low-calorie diets directly cause gallstones or whether the amount of weight loss is responsible for them."
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    Before I'm accused of recommending them, Mayo Clinic also says this:

What Are the Other Drawbacks of Very Low-Calorie Diets?

To be healthy, you need a balance of foods from different food groups. It's difficult to get good nutrition and feel satisfied on a very low-calorie diet. In addition, consuming as few as 800 calories daily may not give you the energy you need for daily living and regular physical activity, especially if you eat the same foods every day.

Talk to your doctor or dietitian to make sure you get the nutrients you need while on a very low-calorie diet.

Are Very Low-Calorie Diets Safe?

Very low-calorie diets are not OK for everyone. Talk to your doctor to see if this kind of diet is appropriate for you.

If your BMI is greater than 30, then very low-calorie diets are generally safe when used under proper medical supervision. For people who are overweight but not obese (BMI of 27-30), very low-calorie diets should be reserved for those who have weight-related medical problems and are under medical supervision.

Very low-calorie-diets are not recommended for pregnant or breastfeeding women, and are not appropriate for children or teens except in specialized treatment programs. They also may not be OK for people over age 50, either, depending on the potential need for medications for pre-existing conditions, as well as the possibility of side effects.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Yes, I am aware of why they give B12 shots and the dangers of such diets. I wasn't happy with her decision since I knew she would regain hard, which she did after she left. Berstein was censured by the College for his advertising practices. ctvnews.ca/business/formal-caution-over-dr-bernstein-weight-loss-advertising-claims-contested-1.1807124
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Before I'm accused of recommending them, Mayo Clinic also says this:

What Are the Other Drawbacks of Very Low-Calorie Diets?

To be healthy, you need a balance of foods from different food groups. It's difficult to get good nutrition and feel satisfied on a very low-calorie diet. In addition, consuming as few as 800 calories daily may not give you the energy you need for daily living and regular physical activity, especially if you eat the same foods every day.

Talk to your doctor or dietitian to make sure you get the nutrients you need while on a very low-calorie diet.

Are Very Low-Calorie Diets Safe?

Very low-calorie diets are not OK for everyone. Talk to your doctor to see if this kind of diet is appropriate for you.

If your BMI is greater than 30, then very low-calorie diets are generally safe when used under proper medical supervision. For people who are overweight but not obese (BMI of 27-30), very low-calorie diets should be reserved for those who have weight-related medical problems and are under medical supervision.

Very low-calorie-diets are not recommended for pregnant or breastfeeding women, and are not appropriate for children or teens except in specialized treatment programs. They also may not be OK for people over age 50, either, depending on the potential need for medications for pre-existing conditions, as well as the possibility of side effects.

Thank you. I wasn't accusing anyone of anything. It is more the whole topic makes me uneasy, it might just be me.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    VLCDs are against community rules, and plain stupid.
  • Myrmilt
    Myrmilt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Nobody keeps track of all that. There may be some oddball who does, but not most people.

Even around here, where people knock themselves out keeping track of food, it's macros, macros, macros.

Ask 100 random people if they got their fair share of zinc today and you'll get 100 "I don't know" replies.

But good luck.

I did track those things once upon a time - but it's a pain and can take some serious time to understand what all the minerals and vitamins do and mean and what levels are good and harmful. I used a PC based program to do it. Not sure if they have one that is as easy to use with a smart phone type app.

It was interesting, but I developed other hobbies and let it go by the way side. Probably won't ever pick it up again.
  • catceol
    catceol Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I didn't know that? Are they?

• dbmata
    Options
    catceol wrote: »

Did you really just ask that?

You might want to think about that for a bit, the answer is apparent.
  • lorib642
    Options
    catceol wrote: »
    3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines
  • WalkingAlong
    Options

Did you find that UCSF study that says that 1400 calories is "VLCD" yet? Because usually it's 800 and below.

• nicolalane716
    nicolalane716 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    VLCDs are against community rules - but they aren't plain stupid. VLCDs are perfectly safe - as long as they are done properly and by appropriate people, and preferably with medical supervision.

Unfortunately too many people decide that they can do a "homemade" VLCD, or start one with a medical condition that will cause problems, or just generally don't know what they are doing and assume that because they feel fine today then they are fine - when nutritional deficiencies take time to show up.

I suspect community guidelines are against VLCDs because of the pitfalls - and because it is so difficult to get a safe one in the States (or so I understand). I find it sad that it has to be that way.
  • lorib642
    Options
    OP were you able to talk your friend out of the homemade VLCD ?
  • dbmata
    Options
    I wish to follow this path, one day, when I can walk on water.
  • nicolalane716
    nicolalane716 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Actually a modern VLCD (as in one sold by a reputable company in the last 20 years) doesn't necessarily need a doctor monitoring. In Europe and the UK we actually have laws about the content and marketing of VLCDs and similar to make sure that all the nutrients are in there and they are not marketed to the wrong people and with outrageous claims.

There is a lot of info here: http://www.foodedsoc.org/vlcdtest2.htm but it is old and some of the links will require wayback machine.

I actually advise doctor monitoring for everyone on a severe diet - because if you need one you are likely to have health complications - even if you don't know it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

Actually I was try to counter false states that a calorie is a calorie because we know that a 100 calorie of carb in the body can produce a different result than say a 100 calories of fat or protein.

You can try to counter this response all you want but you are wrong as indicated by the thread that you tried to make this statement. But if you want to discussion, please start another thread. There is no need to hijack a thread that isn't even discussing if a calorie is a calorie.

OP, realistically to understand if 800 calories is enough, there are many factors. Is the person morbidly obese, do they have medical issues. For the average person, 800 calories is probably not going to be enough calories to ensure you meet all your nutritional needs, especially if you are exercising. But if you a person does an 800 calorie diet (as is usual with lap band patients) then it's generally advise to be under the care of a physician to ensure your numbers aren't going out of whack.