Cold weather gear for a fat bloke

Options
Does anyone have any suggestions. It is starting to get cold here now, but I want to keep running/walking outside. I am just over 6ft and just under 300lbs, at least 3xl. I am currently running in cheap Walmart t-shirts and throwing them away after a couple of weeks, but it would be nice to get some gear that actually makes me feel like a runner.

I am not looking for anything "form fitting", I already run in the dark to avoid being seen, looking like the Michelin Man would probably get me shot

Replies

• Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be running at all. You will be damaging your knees and back.

Serioulsly losing weight is 80% diet!!!!!!!!!!! Get on top of that and the weight will fall off. You can exercise and run all you like when you are slim. It is easier to lose weight when you do not exercise.
  • drosebud
    drosebud Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Maybe he is running because he likes it? I didn't start running to lose weight, more to tone and get fitter. To suggest someone shouldn't exercise until they have lost weight is just wrong on so many levels.
  • drosebud
    drosebud Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I wear Aldi winter running stuff as it was on sale a few weeks ago. It's great, but I'm in the UK so I don't know whether you can get that?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »

Serioulsly losing weight is 80% diet!!!!!!!!!!! Get on top of that and the weight will fall off. You can exercise and run all you like when you are slim. It is easier to lose weight when you do not exercise.

This exactly and why not walk instead. My DH lost 50 lbs. by walking and watching calorie intake. You want to do something that will last you your lifetime. On a side note, I'd wear something that can be seen by cars.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

This is terrible advice. I can't help you with the clothes (I run in t-shirts and gym shorts). But I started running at over 300lbs (I'm 5'9"), and I've had knee problems all my life (I played hockey growing up, did some damage, then spent years at 300# doing more damage to them). I've always had lower back issues too. The good news is that since I started running, my knees and back (at 47 years old) feel better than I can remember them feeling in my entire adult life.

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Layers are your friend.

Get some wicking base layers (which can be fitted or semi fitted) and then add a more relaxed fit top over that if you are self conscious. If you are running in the dark then reflective and florescent tops are a good idea. You could do the same with the bottoms (i.e base layer with looser shorts over the top.)

Without knowing your budget it is hard to give you specific recommendations
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

ntw25 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any suggestions. It is starting to get cold here now, but I want to keep running/walking outside. I am just over 6ft and just under 300lbs, at least 3xl. I am currently running in cheap Walmart t-shirts and throwing them away after a couple of weeks, but it would be nice to get some gear that actually makes me feel like a runner.

I am not looking for anything "form fitting", I already run in the dark to avoid being seen, looking like the Michelin Man would probably get me shot

There is nothing wrong with Walmart and Target athletic wear if you're worried about function rather than the "right" label. Check local sporting good stores and see what they have on the clearance rack. Academy Sports has its own brand that is less expensive than UA, Nike, etc.

No matter your size, the basic rules apply ... layers, moisture wicking, wind/water resistant outer shell as needed. An insulated, moisture wick, base layer is a must when things get cold ... keep the warmth in while getting the sweat away from your skin. A couple more removable layers to go with it and you can scale your clothing options to meet the weather. Add hat and gloves then get outside. The general rule of thumb is to dress for a temp about 10-15 degrees warmer than actual air temp to account for the heating from exercise. Unfortunately, that takes some trial and error to get right.

If you are out at night, something reflective or lighted is a good idea for safety.

Science disagrees with you about not running at all. You may as well advise people to avoid the horizon because they may fall off the edge of the planet.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    A good rule of thumb is to dress as if it's 15-20 degrees warmer than it actually is. You'll start off cold, but will become comfortable without overheating. And as others have said, layers!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    LONG JOHNS!...Im from upstate NY lol cant live without them invest in some hoodies some good hats and gloves and some nice winter boots for walking...u got this! OH they have some nice face masks too for keeping the harsh weather out..snow pants with suspenders...yeah all the things u hated when u were a kid.....think think think... its what u wear under that matters the most really...
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    www.kingsizedirect.com has a decent selection for bigger guys.
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I know Under Armor stuff isn't cheap, but it is good stuff. Look for layerable items like Microfiber long sleeve T's and Crewnecks. Sometimes you can catch the Under Armor brand on sale at sporting goods stores (Cabela's, Gander Mtn).
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    First - congrats on setting goals for running that's great!!

I've always been happy with the workout clothes I've purchased from columbia.com Its usually well made (definitely better than the walmart stuff that doesn't last) and not *too* expensive like some of the other brands at the sporting goods store.

I've also found some nice plus-size womens workout wear from sportsauthority.com and dickssportinggoods.com. Most stores don't carry plus sizes in store for women so I imagine its the same for the mens department. I recommend taking measurements and ordering online to save some hassle. My husband likes the under armour shirts paired with a tshirt for running on colder days. Under Armour and The North Face brands both have "big and tall" sizing.

I also found these that look comfy!

http://www.rei.com/s/mens-tall-clothing#c3JwYWdlPTEmcXVlcnk9aXIlM0Rjb2xsZWN0aW9uJTI1M0FtZW5zLXRhbGwtY2xvdGhpbmclMjZyJTNEdGFiLnNrdS1zaXplJTI1M0EzWEwlMjZjb2xsZWN0aW9uJTNEbWVucy10YWxsLWNsb3RoaW5nJTI2c3glM0R3bzVyQmhvJTI1MkZieiUyNTJGR25ZdCUyNTJGRjdxc0pRJTI1M0QlMjUzRCZzcnNpemU9MzA%3D
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    nosajjao wrote: »
    msf74 wrote: »
    Layers are your friend.

Get some wicking base layers (which can be fitted or semi fitted) and then add a more relaxed fit top over that if you are self conscious. If you are running in the dark then reflective and florescent tops are a good idea. You could do the same with the bottoms (i.e base layer with looser shorts over the top.)

Everyone's arguing about running or not running and you had to go pop in and actually respond with some solid advice to the question he was actually asking. How rare this is these days.

I'll report myself to the Ministry of Truth for immediate reprogramming!
  • sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    Layers are your friend.

^^^I second this...

Be sure to look for the moisture wicking fabrics because sweat is designed to cool your body so if you get the insulating gear that doesn't wick the moisture away it can actually make you colder as it traps the moisture against your skin and can lower your core temp.

Also, when I first started running and was a lot bigger (270 lbs at 5'6") I personally found that wearing fitted clothes under my t-shirts really helped me stay comfortable. As gross as it sounds, it was like a sports bra for my whole body so it kept everything in place >.<; lol

Oh! And hit up some sales at Academy if you have one nearby... I used to order all of my workout gear on Amazon but Academy has some great prices and frequent sales!

Good luck!
  • sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    [Edit: Accidentally quoted myself -_-; ]
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    You can get decent stuff online at any of the large sporting goods companies. Not sure about 3XL at Target / Wal Mart, but I find the C9 stuff from Target to be budget friendly and pretty functional. That way, when you need a smaller size in a few months, you won't feel sad that you spent too much. Enjoy!
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    If you are a Costco member, they have pretty much all the winter gear you need -- base layers, running gloves, balcava, rain gear, although I don't know about the size range on the base layers. However, the Costco base layer XL is large on me (I'm ~ 230 lb), so you may be able to buy a smaller size than you think.

I'm finding that a base layer + gym shorts + a fleece vest + a hat is fine down to freezing. I'll probably add a layer when it drops below freezing (this weekend, sad to say).
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Being a 15 year long fat boy, I would suggest this website:

http://casual-male-big-and-tall.destinationxl.com/mens-big-and-tall-store/
  • ntw25
    ntw25 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much to all of you. I will assume that those telling me not to run have my best interests at heart.

Just FYI. I am not doing sprints or training for a marathon, I am slowly alternating between walking and a slow jog up to maximum of around 5K. I am also lifting and watching my diet, I am 35lbs down from my start weight and looking to tone at the same time as losing.

I absolutely understand that it is 80% diet !!!!!!!!, but I also enjoy my food so adding exercise helps in all aspects. I also recognise the strain that I am putting my body under. I have rest days, I stop or slow down if I feel any twinges and I have been to my doctor for a full check-up and advice prior to starting. As you may expect, he was fully supportive.

In terms of the original question, there is some great advice here. I think I will probably go for the form-fitting underneath the baggy thus adding layers and not looking quite so bad.

I always run/walk in a very quiet neigbourhood (last night I was out for 30 minutes and the only thing I saw was a racoon, not a car in sight) I always carry a flashlight and listen to music in one ear so as I am aware of my surroundings........I am the poster boy for safe night running.

You can always rely on MFP. Thanks again

N
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Utter nonsense.