60 YEARS OLD AND OVERWEIGHT

Options
Where can I find a good exercise program to help me get in better shape and lose weight. I really need to lose at least 50 pounds, but any amount of weight would be great. I found one of the old Nutrisystem (I think) exercise videos with three different videos and was wondering if anyone has ever tried those. Anyway, I really need advice on how to go about doing this. Thank you for your help.

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    to lose weight, you must control your calorie intake - that is all. Seriously. Exercise is not required for loss, get that out of your head. Input your information into MFP, be HONEST about your activity level, and eat the # of calories it tells you. You'll lose weight that way and it's the easiest path IMO. Don't over think it.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    to lose weight, you must control your calorie intake - that is all. Seriously. Exercise is not required for loss, get that out of your head. Input your information into MFP, be HONEST about your activity level, and eat the # of calories it tells you. You'll lose weight that way and it's the easiest path IMO. Don't over think it.

Pretty much this ^. I lost weight by staying at a calorie deficit. I improved my fitness by exercising. If you want to exercise, find something you like doing, or the least objectionable (I'm not a huge fan of exercise, but I do it anyway. It makes me feel better overall).
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I'm 63, and I lost about 45# a couple years ago, then stuff happened, and it's back. :# So, I need to get back on the wagon, and it's so hard! I still have some Richard Simmons exercise videos (I like the music :p ), and Leslie Sansone has some good ones that you can do and take from a beginner level to a much harder level. You can pick those up at Target pretty cheaply. I do a lot of walking as well. So many things I used to do are no longer allowed as I spent 5 years dealing with my right hip.. one surgery, which led to a hip replacement, which was bad and led to a second replacement. I dislocated that one 3 times which led to another surgery to restrict the range of motion. Things kind of went to pot then, and I have been struggling ever since to catch up and get back to where I was. Sigh...so back at it, and really struggling with the food part. I think I'm active enough...sorta, but it's the food!!!!! Add me if you would like. I will comment! :) Good luck!
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'm 65 and do not have a gym near by. First I walk at least 30 min at least 4 days a week. We live in the hills but when I started I would just walk down in the valley on a flat route. I also bike (not on the hills) when the weather is nice. I use in home DVDs. For a beginner Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds videos are perfect, I still use them when the weather is bad. Like you I have some old exercise videos (Kathy Ireland, Kick Butt, an ancient step) that I still use. I also have 30 Day Shred, Biggest Loser Cardio and Sclupt to encourage me to use weights. I do Tai Chi daily and stretch, I also just did a belly dancing class. A few years ago I did have some sessions with a trainer when I started with weights to make sure my form was correct so I wouldn't get hurt.
    I know that all sounds like alot but the bottom line is my goal is to exercise 45 min, 6 days a week, doing something that involves strength at least two of those days. I am very very careful not to overdo because at our age any injury takes much longer to heal, so if it uncomfortable I back off. My 45 min includes Tai Chi or yoga, for me 30 min of "exercise" is a reasonable time that I can stay with for the rest of my life. Anyway this works for me.
  • thebza_x
    Options
    Yes, a calorie deficit is the way you're going to lose weight, but health should incorporate being fit and doing exercise in my opinion. There's a lot of routines on the BeFit YouTube channel that might be good to check out.
  • MinaUpdate
    MinaUpdate Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I personally would start an exercise regime you genuinely enjoy. That way chances are higher you will also stick to it. What kind of sports were you engaged in as a teenager? What did you enjoy doing as a kid? This might give you a clue.

I like going to the gym but I understand why it can be boring for some people. There are so many alternatives. Just going to the park and playing frisbee can be so much fun. I can also recommend Pilates. I just love it. It's a great and "light" way to strengthen every muscle in your body. I live in Germany and we have a few Pilates channels on YouTube. There must be some in English. Taking walks is nice as well. You can do that anywhere and anytime. It's also great to be outside. And you can easily adjust the intensity by speeding up, slowing down or taking longer walks. If you like watching TV, you could get a stairmaster, an elliptical trainer or stationary bike and just hop on while watching your favourite shows. When I was younger we used to have a trampoline. That was fun! You might also enjoy badminton or table-tennis. You could also just try to move more, without a rigid program. Take the stairs, carry your groceries, park your car far away, take walks during lunch breaks, declutter your home, clean the windows, paint the bedroom, plant a garden, meet your friends for a hike.

But as the others have already mentioned - losing weight is mainly about controlling calorie intake. Most people overestimate the calories you burn during work-outs.
  • MinaUpdate
    MinaUpdate Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow, my first post ever!!!!!
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit for weight loss and log, log, log. Exercise for fitness, firmness, and metabolism.

As others have said. Find something you like to do. There are so many workouts on-line that you can probably find one. Or join a gym. Basically, keep moving! Walking is cheap and can be done anywhere.

We have a bunch of serious "losers" on a Community Group of 60 years old and older. Why not join us for encouragement, motivation, and tips? http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3538-60-years-old-and-over
  • ysienkiewicz
    ysienkiewicz Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Do you have a YMCA near you? They have all kinds of work out classes for women over 60. They even have aqua aerobics and aqua Zumba classes for low impact. My big "fall back" though is just plain old walking! Grab an Ipod and some great music and just go for a walk!
  • 22885london
    22885london Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Water aerobics! Easy on the joints