Any runners AND lifters?

Options
I've been lifting for several years after reaching my weight loss goal and maintaining. Became the new fitness challenge and I was hooked. Then 3 years ago I did a 5K for fun and got hooked on challenging myself with distances. Six half marathons later, I'm now training for a full in January. BUT, I'm not willing to give up lifting (as opposed to lots of runners I know who never lift and only run). I have a running coach designing my run training, and I have 2 days a week to do full body lifting. He's not really a strength coach though so he doesn't program that. Wondering how other runners approach their strength programming while training for a big race - program recommendation?

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I cut back on my lifting during race season (not entirely, but significantly), then ramp it back up during the off season.

I guess I'm "lucky" like that, that my race season is only 4-5 months long so I can lift the rest of the year.
  • Amie0403
    Options
    I focus on arms, back, and abs while race training because it's important to allow your legs some recovery time. Lifting is basically two days per week, not before or after my long run. That said, I would NOT let your legs go completely since some conditioning (squats w/o weights, side leg raises, etc.) will help prevent injury.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I find the same thing as Jackson. To train properly for a marathon takes at least four runs a week, one of them a long run -- longer than you are used to. If you are going to be lifting twice a week too, you won't be resting enough. Your running will begin to suffer, soon. The marathon is a very long distance; it is more than two half marathons. I might suggest you lift once a week, and have two days of rest. You will be increasing your mileage, after all. Good luck.
  • G8rRay
    G8rRay Posts: 89 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm not a lifter; but, your legs will be getting strength training during your intervals and your tempo runs because of the increased speeds required for those runs; also, those intervals (3x-6x, and for tempo runs, too) will be over 800m to 1600m. Furthermore, a properly designed marathon training plan will include long runs up to 3 hr duration--you need some rest for your legs each week--and keeps your legs a little tired to simulate running the marathon distance on tired legs. Oh, and good luck with your training and your marathon!!!
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm posting to follow this thread later. I'm wanting to get into lifting at some point. I'm still concentrating on my running now, but I make sure to eat quite a bit of protein.
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Bumping for the exact opposite reason as Kim. I lift regularly and once I reach my goal I want to begin training for a half and full marathon :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Bumping for the exact opposite reason as Kim. I lift regularly and once I reach my goal I want to begin training for a half and full marathon :)

IMO, a half won't require significant changes to your lifting. Worst case scenario you go to a 2 or 3 day split vs a 5 or 6 day body part routine in order to work in some running. But the training volume needed for a half isn't THAT taxing.

IME.

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

IMO, a half won't require significant changes to your lifting. Worst case scenario you go to a 2 or 3 day split vs a 5 or 6 day body part routine in order to work in some running. But the training volume needed for a half isn't THAT taxing.

IME.

Just finishing up half training - I have 2 weeks to go, and for the most part I agree. Except if you're still doing one of the beginner's whole body lifting program. Then you might find you want to reduce weights for back squats for a session or two depending on how your long runs are scheduled.

Mine are scheduled on a lifting day, so I ended up reducing weights before my 12 mi run this week. Usually I lift in the afternoon way after my morning run so I know the weights aren't going to kill me and keep me from finishing, but scheduling conflicts made me change it up. Plus, I'd failed at the weight at the previous session and was feeling tired already.

I have a feeling I'll be dropping weight again for the 14 mi run. But otherwise, I've managed to keep up with both programs.
  • BChanFit
    BChanFit Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Yay! Great thread, glad to hear there are some fellow run/lifters! I lift 5 times a week and currently running 20 miles a week. Also training for a full but mine isn't until next October. I see a personal trainer who knows my lifting and running goals and builds my routines around that. I do a combination of high and low reps/heavy each week. Try to time leg day in the gym to not burn out on long run days.
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

IME.
    stealthq wrote: »

IME.

Just finishing up half training - I have 2 weeks to go, and for the most part I agree. Except if you're still doing one of the beginner's whole body lifting program. Then you might find you want to reduce weights for back squats for a session or two depending on how your long runs are scheduled.

Mine are scheduled on a lifting day, so I ended up reducing weights before my 12 mi run this week. Usually I lift in the afternoon way after my morning run so I know the weights aren't going to kill me and keep me from finishing, but scheduling conflicts made me change it up. Plus, I'd failed at the weight at the previous session and was feeling tired already.

I have a feeling I'll be dropping weight again for the 14 mi run. But otherwise, I've managed to keep up with both programs.

Thanks guys! I didn't realize the half wouldn't take as much direct focus away from my lifting. Maybe I'll start looking for one sooner :D
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Wait. Wait.Wait! I may be old, so my experience is different. But I think you (fit and kim) will find that it is very difficult to progress and improve in both at the same time. It can be done. But it is REALLY hard. Basically, you can increase your lifts or you can increase your mileage or improve your time. But doing both....well, it's likely that one has to suffer.
    I find, for instance, that running the day after deadlifting is torture. I am very slow those days. And when I have been running/lifting/running for five days in a row, that sixth day of dragging myself off to the barbell or down the road is not fun and not good.