Protien Snack ideas

Options
Or just snack ideas. I usually grab a string cheese or 0.5 - 1.0 oz of hard cheese for a mid-day snack (calories: aprrox. 80) While I'm not going over my calorie count or even my fat goal (too often), I do go over my saturated fat goal. I think this is because cheese is featured in many parts of my day. I'm also always under on my protein and iron goals. Any suggestions for a low saturated fat, high protein snack instead of my string cheese?

Replies

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    beef jerky
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Quest bars
  • jaquelynny
    jaquelynny Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese mixed with almonds and sugar free pudding mix, greek yogurt with natural pb or pb2, make your own protein bars look at jamie eason recipes or protein pow
  • cherishe1
    cherishe1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    jaquelynny wrote: »
    cottage cheese mixed with almonds and sugar free pudding mix, greek yogurt with natural pb or pb2, make your own protein bars look at jamie eason recipes or protein pow

These are great.. I'll add this to my list.
  • 111YoYo111
    111YoYo111 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    snack sausages, I found turkey ones that are only 50 calories
    boiled eggs
  • Edwardshar
    Edwardshar Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Turtles.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    low-fat cottage cheese is great. i have a cup a day around noon. is cottage cheese not popular with most people? i get a LOT of comments. "what is that? cottage cheese?! UGH! how can you eat it?!"

great protein and no prep needed. i'm in.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I discovered IPS chips - egg white chips with 7 grams of protein.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt. I love the Dannon Light & Fit Greek Yogurt, and I've learned to drive while eating it too. :D
  • jaquelynny
    jaquelynny Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    ps on the cottage cheese and yogurt, it contains casin which is a slow digesting protein, a lot of peeps eat it before bed. just sayin
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,661 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind processed fish, Thai fish cakes (the ones you microwave, not fry) and crab sticks from the deep freeze section of an Asian supermarket. Hard boiled eggs and beef jerky are great portable snacks too. Blanched unshelled edamame beans, also the Asian supermarket. Roasted chick peas.
  • octhawk
    octhawk Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Two things I forgot to mention: I eat a pure protein bar almost everyday for breakfast and I eat a hard boiled egg for lunch.
    Thanks for all the suggestions
  • octhawk
    Options

What's pb2?
  • chouflour
    chouflour Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    sliced turkey or ham with mustard, celery with almond or peanut butter, hard boiled egg, coarsely mashed black beans with salsa, hummus and veggie, lentil salad...
  • octhawk
    edited November 2014
    Options
    skullshank wrote: »
    low-fat cottage cheese is great. i have a cup a day around noon. is cottage cheese not popular with most people? i get a LOT of comments. "what is that? cottage cheese?! UGH! how can you eat it?!"

great protein and no prep needed. i'm in.

I used to love cottage cheese with canned pears as a kid. Now not it so much. I've always wondered if my mom bought some weird cottage cheese brand and I just have to find it
  • DvrDawg
    DvrDawg Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    octhawk wrote: »

What's pb2?

PB2 is a peanut butter powder you can get at places like GNC. It has about 85% less fat than peanut butter ~45 calories for every 2 tbsp and 5 g of protein. It is a good flavor enhancer for yogurt, protein shakes, etc.
  • DojoMaster888
    DojoMaster888 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Quest Protein Chips... so good and 21 grams protein for 130 cal!
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    chgodvr wrote: »
    octhawk wrote: »

What's pb2?

PB2 is a peanut butter powder you can get at places like GNC. It has about 85% less fat than peanut butter ~45 calories for every 2 tbsp and 5 g of protein. It is a good flavor enhancer for yogurt, protein shakes, etc.

They sell it in the regular grocery store here. Sometimes it's in the natural foods aisle.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    Pork rinds, beef/turkey jerky, greek yogurt and cottage cheese are all things I like to snack on and to help reach my protein goals. I like to mix vanilla greek yogurt with chocolate flavored protein powder for a good protein boost in the morning. Its comes out to about 220 calories and 37 grams of protein.