HELP: I frustrate him? :/

Options
Boladefuego326
Boladefuego326 Posts: 143 Member
I love my BF, but it seems I have *anger issues* Like for example, he tends to roll his eyes when I don't get a joke or I remind him over and over again to do something. I'm from the North (PA) and he's from the South (TN). There are many things I haven't tried, or jokes down here I don't get. So when I ask him to explain the joke he rolls his eyes like a child. >:( I don't beat around the bush with somethings and I say it as it is. It always seems like it's ALWAYS my fault. With every *talk* we have it's always how I'm in the wrong. *why are you so angry* *why are you frustrated all the time* *Why do you tend to ******

Good lord is my Yankee self coming out more???

He old me tonight that I frustrate him.

Idk what to think. >:/

help

Replies

• sabyars
    sabyars Posts: 26
    Options
    sorry to say sister... but you need a new man that appreciates you! I know from experience. It took me 4 long years to figure that out though!!
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    You have to be happy with yourself before you can be happy with another person.
  • dylanco
    dylanco Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Get thee both to a relationship counselor or a Landmark Forum (google it) or 12 step programs immediately. Something in your relationship needs some help. ....or -- you're young -- move on and find someone who's not so judgmental and unresponsive. While he may be frustrated or turned off to you reminding him an unreasonable number of times (and you may wish to take this up in counseling or with a sponsor or coach), it would seem he'd at least have the courtesy to explain jokes for you...

6199072.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • JessesGirl05
    Options
    Men suck. point blank.

Sorry. I'm having guy troubles too.
  • Mommyto3inAz
    Options
    Sweetie, if you're having these issues now--RUN! Trust me...after 22 years of marriage I WISH someone had told me what I needed to hear back then.

Good luck honey.
  • JHoersten2
    JHoersten2 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Saying it "as it is" is great if you're trying to "keep it real" or "put on a front", but it doesn't work in relationships. "As it is" implies your statements are blunt and without compassion. I'd be frustrated too.

Relationships need compromise and communication. I think you'd both be better off taking a day to examine the following:

Stop thinking about who's right/wrong, etc, but what's 'Best for the relationship' - Not best for each individual. Does the relationship benefit if you get angry and tell it "as it is"? Does it benefit if he's rolling his eyes and not being patient? If you can not compromise with each other and learn to form 'goals for the relationship', then it won't last.

Just my 2¢
  • dkug1964
    dkug1964 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Everyone here has a good point of view. And yes, men suck. I should know.

To say the least, some time apart is probably in order here.

Good luck.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    3971.3532.full.jpg
  • smoonygirl
    smoonygirl Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you to are not really connecting, which is very important in a relationship.... If you two can not talk to each other without frustrating each other... where is this really going to go?
  • JessesGirl05
    Options
    3971.3532.full.jpg
    ding ding ding! WINNER!
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I love my BF, but it seems I have *anger issues* Like for example, he tends to roll his eyes when I don't get a joke or I remind him over and over again to do something. I'm from the North (PA) and he's from the South (TN). There are many things I haven't tried, or jokes down here I don't get. So when I ask him to explain the joke he rolls his eyes like a child. >:( I don't beat around the bush with somethings and I say it as it is. It always seems like it's ALWAYS my fault.

Tell him this. Exactly this. And do it plainly - not that you would be either angry or sad while speaking your mind, but that these are your feelings and you should articulate them clearly and specifically. If he can respond intelligently and discuss the issue, you have a keeper. Otherwise, I'd recommend moving on - neither you nor anyone else can change a person they have to change themselves.
    With every *talk* we have it's always how I'm in the wrong. *why are you so angry* *why are you frustrated all the time* *Why do you tend to ******

When I was young and arrogant I responded to the concerns of others like this as well. I would've dumped me too!
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Your young and beautiful, move on!!! It took me 5 years and 2 children to realise that happiness comes from within and that there are so many people that love you exactly the way you are!! I have been on my own now for 4 years and I have never been happier, not to say that the right person isnt around the corner but truly I dont care because i am just perfectly happy the way I am!! You dont change for someone or a relationship, you are ment to GROW together!!
  • Fenyx
    Fenyx Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine and her husband were going through some stuff and that was actually a part of it. One thing she was telling me about that has been helpful, something suggested by a counselor, was to do 3 things while communicating (as this is important, can't stress it enough). It's called xyz (though that seems off to me lol) first you must

1. explain when/where you were when something was said
    2. repeat what was said that upset you
    3. and why (using "I feel")

Ex: When we were at home you said "why are you always angry?" and it made me feel like you are blaming the problems on my being angry.

This worked wonders for them and allowed for a greater open communication and understanding. If stuff like that doesn't work, then you may have to consider why he does these things: is he mean spirited? or is it simply misunderstanding and him not realizing how upset his actions may make you? If it's the former, it may be time to leave, if it's the latter then communication needs to get better. As far as anger issues go, I know how it is. I still have moments where I see red. It's never been to a point of endangering anyone/thing but it's hard to deal with. I make a point to try and calm myself. I've started getting to the point where I'll get angry, catch it immediately, and switch track. Looking at my situation from a different angle allows me to realize most things that make me mad are undeserving of the anger when not stacked with others. One step at a time, no one wants to hear "count to ten" and I never do, frustrates me more lol. However, I will leave the situation completely, take a walk or read for 10 minutes, anything to distract and focus on breathing normal.
  • nudacris
    nudacris Posts: 25
    Options
    that's not cool that you're always blamed
  • JHoersten2
    JHoersten2 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    divorce-rates.jpg

Back then, you changed and learned to make a marriage work.

Now, you "be yourself" and just "search for your soul mate.....again" if you don't do it right the first time.

I cringe every time I hear people suggest to others they break up and start over again. It seems that's what our culture idolizes, the heartbroken who're out searching for love once more. Isn't that what all our movies portray? When does anyone ever put the work into a relationship anymore? Things are just supposed to be magical and perfect from the start I guess....
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    divorce-rates.jpg

Back then, you changed and learned to make a marriage work.

Now, you "be yourself" and just "search for your soul mate.....again" if you don't do it right the first time.

I cringe every time I hear people suggest to others they break up and start over again. It seems that's what our culture idolizes, the heartbroken who're out searching for love once more. Isn't that what all our movies portray? When does anyone ever put the work into a relationship anymore? Things are just supposed to be magical and perfect from the start I guess....

But this is also why people shouldn't get married quickly. Dating and relationships are a part of learning what we're looking for in a mate. If you haven't made the commitment of getting married to someone and they're not treating you the way you should be treated, it's not worth sticking around.
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    He sounds just like my boyfriend. And I've been considering dumping him for a while. Let's be single together!
  • ilovecisco22
    Options
    u two r just not on the same page sounds like you two r so different and when two people r so different it can tear u apart from each other iv been with the same guy for almost 5 years and we r different and r relationship sucks we r just together because we r comfortable with each other and thats not good im unhappy everyday because i want to be loved and i want to love someone so think about it and ask yourself is it worth it
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Tough one.

I think maybe its a personality clash, which isn't a bad thing. It seems he is independent, maybe somewhat rebellious (he is a southerner, you know) where you are a leader who needs structure.

Maybe a double date to the aquarium, and the Big River Grill. The added social interaction would be good for you two. The girls could complain about their men, and the guys can show off their girls.

This always helps me when I'm being an *kitten*.
  • sweetie89207
    Options
    well i do know a lot of ppl have issues with the north south thing...same as some people still have issues with the black white thing...but like others said- u gotta see whats really going on and if he is really like that...maybe its time to move on- there are soooo many other guys out there...and no point in being in a relationship if it aint working