How do you know when to stop losing weight?

Options
So I made my initial weight loss goal this week! I actually went under by 3 pounds! I recently changed my MFP goal....I'm a few pounds from that. My concern is that I'm not going to know when to stop losing. I want to keep going until my body says it is enough. I changed my exercise routine and my weight loss has picked up. I am at the top end of the BMI chart. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I got within 2 pounds of my goal weight and a couple of people commented about whether I was planning to lose any more. I decided to stop for a while. To me it seemed like I still needed to lose a bit, but sometimes it takes your brain a little while to get used to seeing your new body size... I think I'm pretty satisfied with where I am now.
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    If you are unsure, maybe focus on losing body fat % for a while instead of just weight in general. This would mean upping your cals to almost maintenence plus eating back exercise cals and doing more inteisive weights, toning exercises, and muscle-building cardio :)

But that's just what I'd do if it was me. You are the only person who can determine what you should do next.
  • NNora06
    NNora06 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am at this stage. I am 3lbs from my original goal but feel that a few more pounds might make it easier to fit clothes properly. But, there are friends who have made comments that I shouldn't lose more - They may have not adjusted fully to my weight loss or be envious. How do I know what the right weight is?
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals. Are you happy with your body comp? Can you maintain at this weight? My advice change your goals to something besides scale number
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Stop when you are happy with what you see in the mirror and are completely comfortable with yourself.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I would say as a general rule of thumb to choose a weight at which your BMI is in the range of 20 to 22. Something that's not overly difficult to sustain in terms of daily life, activity and food intake.