slimming world

Options
please tell me of your results and views on the afore mentioned as I am thinking of joining, many thanks

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Did it years ago, lost weight well thought it was amazing .. was a big advocate for it

then I stopped ... and because I hadn't retrained my eating patterns in any way at all the weight piled back on and more .. I was used to eating far more than I needed

So yes it works

but for me, and I'd hazard a guess for most, it's short-term fix only .. it puts you in the 95% of dieters who see no long-term benefit
  • genghis54
    genghis54 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    thank you for your response, I think I will give it a go, as there is an offer on and I have nothing to lose except 28 lbs, love your rabbit, lesleyX
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    My opinion. Avoid like the plague, unless you want to pay money to somebody to tell you how much weight you are losing. Buy a new cardigan instead.
  • ashleysevadjian
    ashleysevadjian Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I joined in 2012 and I lost 11 lbs but never got further than that. At first it was great because some foods really are 'limitless' but once I quit I gained back double. That being said I know a few people who have lost 7st or 3st etc so it seems like a great diet for people who struggle with appetites and bottomless holes for stomachs but in reality you have to be really diligent with the diet just like any other. Good luck! Let us know how you get on!
  • lolly715
    lolly715 Posts: 106
    Options
    It really depends why you're overweight now. It doesn't teach portions (or any form of control) as you can eat however much "free" food you want. So I found it too easy to cheat on, and didn't really lose any weight as I could still binge and technically be within the plan's rules. A fixed number of calories is working much better for me.

If your main issue is quantity of food like me, it may not make much difference. But if you struggle with making healthy choices in the first place, it might help as it restricts the "unhealthy" stuff to a small amount per day. It's essentially a low fat diet though, nothing overly special about the plan.
  • LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I use it alongside MFP. I follow the MFP calorie system and calorie count alongside hitting my nutritional macros. I go to slimming world for support, social fun times and getting lots of stickers and certificates. Who doesn't like stickers?

If I didn't have £5 a week spare however I wouldn't bother.

I don't follow the "free" and "super free" foods, people eating piles of potato and rice etc believing it is "free" when as we all know everything has kcals.
  • Malteaster
    Malteaster Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I agree that it doesn't teach portion control, and although it does advocate cooking from scratch it is possible to eat a lot of junk. At my welcome talk I was told that I need never go hungry and could fill up with free food, but in theory I could eat mugshots all day.

I only lost 7lb in eight months I prefer the control counting calories gives me.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I believe any weight loss plan you follow should be something you can follow for the rest of your life. The quicker the pounds come off the harder they are to keep off. I've seen that proven time and time again.