Working out even though I feel sick... Is this ok?

Options
I had to call out of work today because I had a very bad sore throat and cold like symptoms. I did not want to get out of bed this morning but I did although I slept in a bit more then usual. They already said on the weather that it should start snowing soon. Thanksgiving hasn't even gone by and we are already talking about snow here unbelievable. I think all this cold weather is what has me feeling sick.

But I don't want to let this slow me down. I am just 3 pounds away from reaching the 190 mark on my scale and I am determined to get under that mark. I have been so motivated I have been pushing myself more than usual during my workouts. Would you say it's alright to workout even though I feel sick? I don't feel weak or anything (at least not yet).

Replies

• choosing_fitness
    Options
    If I take off work, I take off my workout. I would follow the rule if it is below your neck DON"T workout, but if it is above, then it go for it, but take it slow.
  • allieallieoxenfree
    allieallieoxenfree Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Haha I am having the same issue right now! I worked out on Day 1 of my cold, and I seriously almost had a heart attack in the middle of my weights. It's now Day 3, and I'm fixing to give working out another shot. I would say take it slooow and drink lots of water, but give it a shot if you're feeling it!
  • slider728
    slider728 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Personally, if I am not feeling well, I might work out, but I take it pretty easy. If I planned on running 3 miles on a treadmill if I felt well, I would probably do 30 min on a recumbent bike on a fairly easy setting.

As the other person said, listen to your body. If you are not well, I think it is best to scale back a bit and give your body a little time to get well.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You are too ill to go into work, but not so ill you cant go to the gym to infect everyone?
  • johnnyr24
    johnnyr24 Posts: 90 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    You are too ill to go into work, but not so ill you cant go to the gym to infect everyone?

Correction. I do not ave a gym membership. I work out from home. Why on earth would I want to get other people sick? Obviously if I didn't go to work it's because I don't want others to get sick. So why would I go to a gym and work out when I know others can get sick as well? I do all my weight lifting and cardio and exercising from home I have been doing it this way for months.

• johnnyr24
    johnnyr24 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    As for the responses thank you everyone. I appreciate the advice. I might just take it easy for today and see how I feel later on. I don't usually do my workouts until the late afternoon anyways.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    ah ok. So you are just ill enough not to work, but not too ill you cant lift weights and cardio. If you knock yourself up then you will be ill for a lot longer and could injure yourself.
  • zolamercedes
    zolamercedes Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Same boat here. And I get why you want to work out even if not feeling great. If you stop, starting up again is a b!tch. Just do something easy to keep you going so mentally it doesn't feel like you just stopped and it's easier to ramp up when you're 100%. I worked out today, super light weights for 30min and only 15min on the Eliptical. This weekend I'll just go for a walk and maybe low impact Pilates class or something just to get something in. But if you're coughing up a storm and feel it in your chest, you're body should just rest and you'll just have to deal with the re-start mental game. Feel better soon!!
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    Call me old school, but if you're too sick to go to work then you're too sick to work out.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Good lord, no. Don't work out when you're sick. You'll get sicker and anyone you come in contact with will probably catch what you have as well.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I generally don't workout if I'm ill. Watch you calorie count and you'll probably lose weight anyway. When you're ill, your immune system is working overtime, so you are burning more calories than normal anyway. But it probably wouldn't hurt to take a walk around the block. Fresh air is good for you when you're sick.
  • ErinG0517
    ErinG0517 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. If you're ill, your body is telling you to take a break. Relax and be good to your body.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Take a rest day, nap, eat at maintenance if you feel like you need the extra energy, and stay hydrated. My theory (which may or may not be valid) is that when you're sick/run down/starting to feel sick, your body needs to not be strained by eating at a deficit until you feel like you're 100% again, so that's what I do when I feel like I'm starting to get sick, and I haven't had a cold in the last 3ish years. Feel better!