Losing the last 15

Options
I have lost 69 pounds in 9 months. It seems like it is taking forever, but I am trying to do it the right way (this time). I have 15 more pounds to lose to get to my goal, but I am getting very frustrated because I am only losing 1 pound a week and sometimes less. I am trying NOT to get discouraged and to keep on keeping on, but it is getting progressively frustrating. Any words of advice or encouragement??

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    One pound (or even half a pound) a week seems reasonable when you are this close to goal. Have patience and stick with it.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    With only having 15 lbs left to lose you are doing great. You should now be at a .5 lb a week loss. You should not be discouraged in anyway. You already lost 69 lbs. Have patience.
  • Super_Amy
    Super_Amy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    The last few take the longest to loose.
  • wifeofonemomofthree
    Options
    Patience has never been my strong point :) . . . I think I just need some "cheerleading." Thanks so much!
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I am 7 pounds from my goal and I am like you ... it seems like progress is at a standstill. I would lose 1.5 pounds then gain .5 back then maintain for several weeks then lose .5 a pound at a time for a few weeks then stall again then all of the sudden dump 2.5 pounds. It is really aggravating. However, over the long haul, my weekly average has been close to 1 pound a week which, in my opinion, is normal and healthy.

Every few weeks, I find I have to do some physical exercise that is totally out of the norm to get me out of my weight loss "slump." For the past few weeks, I have sort of been maintaining but last weekend, I went kayaking for the first time. This morning, I weighed in at the gym and dropped about 1.5 pounds from last week! Gotta keep the body guessing ...
  • wifeofonemomofthree
    Options
    That sounds exactly like me! (Your first paragraph, that is!). I do the treadmill 1 hour 5-6 days a week and have increased the incline just recently so feel like I'm getting a better workout. I know I should probably do something else to change it up once in awhile, just haven't found "it" yet . . . thanks!!!
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    That's a really great rate of loss!! It might feel slow to you, but it's a desirable rate.

Keep doing your thing, and you'll be there by the New Year.

Congrats on the 69 pounds. That's incredible.
  • wifeofonemomofthree
    Options
    Thanks!!
  • wifeofonemomofthree
    Options
    You know, for all the times I've lost and gained and lost and gained, this is the first time I've ever tried something like myfitnesspal. This is so much better than getting discouraged and eating a whole bag of M&Ms by myself!! Thank you all so much!
  • ourtruelovewillneverdie
    Options
    I'm 17 lbs from goal and an average of 9 away from normal weight. Losing this has been difficult
  • amessam8
    amessam8 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    I am 7 pounds from my goal and I am like you ... it seems like progress is at a standstill. I would lose 1.5 pounds then gain .5 back then maintain for several weeks then lose .5 a pound at a time for a few weeks then stall again then all of the sudden dump 2.5 pounds. It is really aggravating.

This totally sounds like the same experience I'm having. Up and down by 1 or 1.5lbs every week. I have been really frustrated and disappointed by this. However, I decided to focus on the positives...at least I'm not where I used to be.

My advice to the OP is don't do anything now that you can't maintain when you hit your goal weight. So, if your weight loss is taking some time, that's ok, it's not about the distance ran, it's about the journey.

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I have lost 51 lbs in about 8 months. I have 15 more to go. I lowered my weight loss goal to .5 lbs/week. I was kinda overwhelmed by the high calorie number and slow loss, so I changed it to .7 lbs/week by doing custom calories.
  • shellyae
    shellyae Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    I am 7 pounds from my goal and I am like you ... it seems like progress is at a standstill. I would lose 1.5 pounds then gain .5 back then maintain for several weeks then lose .5 a pound at a time for a few weeks then stall again then all of the sudden dump 2.5 pounds. It is really aggravating. However, over the long haul, my weekly average has been close to 1 pound a week which, in my opinion, is normal and healthy.

Every few weeks, I find I have to do some physical exercise that is totally out of the norm to get me out of my weight loss "slump." For the past few weeks, I have sort of been maintaining but last weekend, I went kayaking for the first time. This morning, I weighed in at the gym and dropped about 1.5 pounds from last week! Gotta keep the body guessing ...

This ^ The body becomes more efficient if you are doing the same type of exercise. Change things up. Best of luck!
    0067808 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way - if you can keep losing that pound a week, even over Christmas/New Year, by the time Valentine's Day comes round you will be even more AAAAMAAAAZING! Plan a special night out to celebrate. Keep going girl - roll on 2015!