A Christmas Rant

Options
songbyrdsweet
songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
I know, I know, it's not even Thanksgiving yet.
But already I am bombarded with cheesy Christmas music all day at work, our hours are extending starting Friday (BLACK Friday), and I can smell the 'cheer' in the air...or wait, is that the crap I have to deal with at work now that the holiday season has started?

Don't get me wrong--I love the *idea* of Christmas. No matter your beliefs, this time of year is about being thankful for what you have and spending quality time with loved ones you only get to see once a year.

Isn't it?

Because it doesn't look like that to me. After 4 Christmases in retail (Target, ****'s Sporting Goods, and now Hibbett), all I see every Black Friday is a throng of sleepy, crowded, antsy shoppers trying to save a couple bucks as they blow huge wads of money on a bunch of plastic stuff that will be lost in a closet within 6 weeks. I never hear 'I'm spending a whole day at a soup kitchen helping the homeless.' It's "I'm spending the whole day at the mall playing tug-of-war with a Tickle-Me-Elmo that another mom saw at the same time as me and spending $1500 on my kids' presents.' And it's not like it stops after Black Friday, even though stores are open at 5am (or earlier--like midnight the night before!). The stores extend their hours so people can spend even more time in there spending ludicrous amounts of money down to the last second--because we're open on Christmas Eve. No, we don't want to see our families, we want you to go shopping because you waited until the last minute and now are desperately searching for some specific beer coozy that your best friend saw back in June but you wanted to wait until it went on sale in December to buy it.

I used to LOVE Christmas. I had a couple big Christmases when I was really little, but for our family, Christmas has been about seeing each other after so long since we all live so far apart. We'd finally get to catch up. I loved the decorations, the music, the special Christmas 'smell', and of course the food. But now that I'm stuck at the bottom of the retail food chain, I just see the worst side of it, and I really miss old Christmas. I'm looking for soup kitchens in the area.

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I know, I know, it's not even Thanksgiving yet.
    But already I am bombarded with cheesy Christmas music all day at work, our hours are extending starting Friday (BLACK Friday), and I can smell the 'cheer' in the air...or wait, is that the crap I have to deal with at work now that the holiday season has started?

Don't get me wrong--I love the *idea* of Christmas. No matter your beliefs, this time of year is about being thankful for what you have and spending quality time with loved ones you only get to see once a year.

Isn't it?

Because it doesn't look like that to me. After 4 Christmases in retail (Target, ****'s Sporting Goods, and now Hibbett), all I see every Black Friday is a throng of sleepy, crowded, antsy shoppers trying to save a couple bucks as they blow huge wads of money on a bunch of plastic stuff that will be lost in a closet within 6 weeks. I never hear 'I'm spending a whole day at a soup kitchen helping the homeless.' It's "I'm spending the whole day at the mall playing tug-of-war with a Tickle-Me-Elmo that another mom saw at the same time as me and spending $1500 on my kids' presents.' And it's not like it stops after Black Friday, even though stores are open at 5am (or earlier--like midnight the night before!). The stores extend their hours so people can spend even more time in there spending ludicrous amounts of money down to the last second--because we're open on Christmas Eve. No, we don't want to see our families, we want you to go shopping because you waited until the last minute and now are desperately searching for some specific beer coozy that your best friend saw back in June but you wanted to wait until it went on sale in December to buy it.

I used to LOVE Christmas. I had a couple big Christmases when I was really little, but for our family, Christmas has been about seeing each other after so long since we all live so far apart. We'd finally get to catch up. I loved the decorations, the music, the special Christmas 'smell', and of course the food. But now that I'm stuck at the bottom of the retail food chain, I just see the worst side of it, and I really miss old Christmas. I'm looking for soup kitchens in the area.
  • MargieM
    MargieM Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! All my kids talk about is what they want for Christmas. too bad. Not going to be much for Christmas this year. And that's okay. I'm still gonna put up my tree, and decorate my house, and make cookies, and see family, and do all those other fun things. That's what makes it so special. Hope you have a happy Turkey Day and survive Black Friday. :flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I hear ya! All my kids talk about is what they want for Christmas. too bad. Not going to be much for Christmas this year. And that's okay. I'm still gonna put up my tree, and decorate my house, and make cookies, and see family, and do all those other fun things. That's what makes it so special. Hope you have a happy Turkey Day and survive Black Friday. :flowerforyou:

Thank you! I hope I survive without giving anyone a black eye :laugh:

My parents made it a point not to emphasize presents. They usually buy me some small stuff that I need, like toiletries or a gift card so I can get some clothes. We just don't have a lot of money, I never have, so I don't mind. I love the decorations my stepmom puts up, and her German chrismas cookies and Stoelln, yum!!! I am having her mail me some this year LOL.
  • bethany169
    Options
    I totally feel you--after many years in retail, I couldn't listen to Christmas music for the longest time, I was just so sick of it all. Finally, after almost 10 years, I can enjoy it again :) It really is sad that it has become such a stressful time instead of a time of joy and being thankful.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I totally feel you--after many years in retail, I couldn't listen to Christmas music for the longest time, I was just so sick of it all. Finally, after almost 10 years, I can enjoy it again :) It really is sad that it has become such a stressful time instead of a time of joy and being thankful.

Well it's good to hear that you've recovered. :wink: I can't decide if the country christmas or the jingle jamz are worse. Luckily I get to close on Black Friday, so I won't have to be there at 5 am. I'd really be in a mood then! But I do have to open on Christmas Eve...it was the tradeoff so I could get off early and drive to Ohio to visit my sister.
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I completely agree that Christmas has gone beyond the extremes. Honestly thinking back I really have no fond memories of that favourite toy or the best present. Memories of Christmas for me was sitting around the tree singing carols while dad played the guitar, stringing popcorn while sipping hot chocolate, attending the church services, anticipating santa, not really looking forward to the gift opening, just anticipating his arrival. I remember my Grandma taking turns staying over Christmas eve at my cousins, and my homes. Now, while I would love to sit back and enjoy the holidays it seems we're to busy to fully appreciate the time of year, and why we're even celebrating in the first place. I sit back and listen to the kids and it's all about who got the biggest best most expensive toy, sure there were always those kids, but my family was never one of them. We truly celebrated Christmas for the right reasons, it was never commercial for us. But now it seems that way, and it is so sad. It's like Christmas is lost!!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I completely agree that Christmas has gone beyond the extremes. Honestly thinking back I really have no fond memories of that favourite toy or the best present. Memories of Christmas for me was sitting around the tree singing carols while dad played the guitar, stringing popcorn while sipping hot chocolate, attending the church services, anticipating santa, not really looking forward to the gift opening, just anticipating his arrival. I remember my Grandma taking turns staying over Christmas eve at my cousins, and my homes. Now, while I would love to sit back and enjoy the holidays it seems we're to busy to fully appreciate the time of year, and why we're even celebrating in the first place. I sit back and listen to the kids and it's all about who got the biggest best most expensive toy, sure there were always those kids, but my family was never one of them. We truly celebrated Christmas for the right reasons, it was never commercial for us. But now it seems that way, and it is so sad. It's like Christmas is lost!!

I'm so glad others feel the same! I was worried I might upset some people, but then I'm not exactly a conformist either.

That reminds me! When I lived with my mom, there was this man Bill who lived down the street. He looked JUST like Santa, in fact I secretly suspected him of it. :bigsmile: Anyway, he used to dress up like Santa and walk down the street visiting every house with a kid. He'd drop off these little ornaments his wife would sew and give us a candy cane and Ho Ho Ho and all that, it was great. He embodied what the season should be-- small, but extraordinary niceties and a lot of happiness and wonderment. I mean, imagine a 5 year old getting a VIP visit with Santa, what awesomeness!
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Think back to when you were a kid.... Do you remember the multitudes of gifts? No, each year there was one really special item that you still think back on and remember with a smile. I think the parents who spend a ton on gifts don't really know their children, and don't know what that "awesome" gift would be, so they buy lots of everything.

Each year now, our kids get one ornament that signifies something they've done or learned that year. This year, one boy is getting a clarinet ornament, another is getting a guitar, one is getting a red wings ornament (my husband is taking him to a game in Feb.), and the oldest is getting a swimming ornament. When the kids grow up and move out, they will each have a nice starter set of ornaments that mean something to them.

Besides their ornament, they get a set amount we spend on each one. As the kids get older, and want bigger ticket items, the amount of gifts they get shrinks. Generally, each kid gets a book, a gift or two from Santa, a gift or two from us, and clothes. Yup... dreaded clothes. Each kid gets 4 or 5 packages to open (including clothes--I'm nice and put all their clothes into a single box for each).

My husband was worried when he got divorced from his ex, because he thought the kids would feel cheated, because when they were married, half the room would be full of gifts. The kids would be bored before they got everything opened. We've pared down quite a bit each year, and the kids have never seemed to notice, or they really don't care that they don't get as much junk as they used to.

Sorry I wrote a book....
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    We do that ornament thing too! Ours doesn't signify anything, we just all buy each other an ornament and open it 'early' on Christmas eve. I did buy a special one for my little sister's first Christmas, and I got one for mine too. I love that idea...you get to hang memories on there hehe :smile: Cool to see another Wings fan too!! No one in VA even watches hockey, but I'm originally from Mi. I have been to a couple Wings games, they were awesome. Joe Lewis is fairly small so no seats are 'nose bleed'.
  • MargieM
    MargieM Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I remember shopping with my mom to get just the right thing for my dad and my brother, then shopping with my dad to find something special for Mom. That was it. We each bought something for the others in our family, but no multiple presents from Santa or whatnot. Of course we had our special dinner...
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I remember shopping with my mom to get just the right thing for my dad and my brother, then shopping with my dad to find something special for Mom. That was it. We each bought something for the others in our family, but no multiple presents from Santa or whatnot. Of course we had our special dinner...

:sad:

I'm missing my stepmom's goose this year...she does goose, gravy, potato balls, red cabbage, honey carrots, etc...so delicious...
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Talking about memories...

I remember sitting on Grandpa's lap as he would read the Night Before Christmas. One year, we traveled to their house, and on Christmas Eve we realized we didn't have the book. I was in tears. Grandpa tried his best, but nobody could remember all the reindeer's names. He stumbled through the story somewhat... And it counted.

Now, my husband reads the Night Before Christmas. He has always told the kids stories using stuffed animals, with voices for each (he goes hoarse every time, but we all love it). Mr. Rabbit is a type A with a german accent, and Buster Brown is a stuffed dopey looking dog who is (and sounds) dumb as a rock. Those two tell the story with guest appearances by Pedro the taco bell loving mexican lizard, Pierre the french lizard (cousin to Pedro), Kevin the annoying brainiac kid, Mr. Lion, and gosh, I forget them all. With the divorce, half the time, we don't have the kids Christmas Eve, so sometimes the story is "The Night Before the Night Before the Night Before Christmas". Or, like this year, "The Day After, the Day After, the Day after the Night Before Christmas." lol No wonder Mike goes hoarse.
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    My husband's family is ALL about the gifts & it makes me crazy. He remembers one year that him & his sister woke up & couldn't even get to the kitchen b/c there were too many gifts in the way & they had to open stuff to get there. Nonsense.

And they continue to keep the "it is all about the gifts" tradition alive & they're trying to push it on my kids. Makes me crazy. My 3yo is just figuring out what Christmas is all about & my MIL asked him what he wanted for Christmas. He replied, "birthday cake." She looked at me all confused & I had to explain that Christmas to him is Jesus' birthday so he's thinking there should be cake. She proceeded to hand him a Sears catalog & a crayon to pick out what Santa should bring him. :grumble: Whatever. Each of our kids are getting 2 gifts from us & the rest Santa Grandma is going to have to fork over. :tongue:

Bless you all you poor, poor retail workers! I used to wait tables on Black Friday & got the RUDEST people in that day. Jerks.
  • 3babybeans
    Options
    Talking about memories...

I remember sitting on Grandpa's lap as he would read the Night Before Christmas. One year, we traveled to their house, and on Christmas Eve we realized we didn't have the book. I was in tears. Grandpa tried his best, but nobody could remember all the reindeer's names. He stumbled through the story somewhat... And it counted.

Now, my husband reads the Night Before Christmas. He has always told the kids stories using stuffed animals, with voices for each (he goes hoarse every time, but we all love it). Mr. Rabbit is a type A with a german accent, and Buster Brown is a stuffed dopey looking dog who is (and sounds) dumb as a rock. Those two tell the story with guest appearances by Pedro the taco bell loving mexican lizard, Pierre the french lizard (cousin to Pedro), Kevin the annoying brainiac kid, Mr. Lion, and gosh, I forget them all. With the divorce, half the time, we don't have the kids Christmas Eve, so sometimes the story is "The Night Before the Night Before the Night Before Christmas". Or, like this year, "The Day After, the Day After, the Day after the Night Before Christmas." lol No wonder Mike goes hoarse.

Oh, that's precious! i love it.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    LOL that is too cute!

My parents have been divorced since I was 3, so I have always had multiple Christmases. I'd have the Mom one, Mom and Grandma and Grandpa one, the Dad and Stepmom one, and the Dad Extended Family one. So much food! And every Christmas was different. My mom and I would put the tree up at the last minute and she'd always play jazz music. My dad's extended family was HUGE and it was a total cacophony while everyone yelled who's present was being thrown where lol.
  • 3babybeans
    Options
    LOL that is too cute!

My parents have been divorced since I was 3, so I have always had multiple Christmases. I'd have the Mom one, Mom and Grandma and Grandpa one, the Dad and Stepmom one, and the Dad Extended Family one. So much food! And every Christmas was different. My mom and I would put the tree up at the last minute and she'd always play jazz music. My dad's extended family was HUGE and it was a total cacophony while everyone yelled who's present was being thrown where lol.

My dad is 1 of 9 kids & going to his family's Christmas was LOUD & presents were often tossed in "general directions" of the 14 grandkids. I knew if I got hit in the head with superman underware, I should probably keep passing it back. :laugh:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    My husband's family is ALL about the gifts & it makes me crazy. He remembers one year that him & his sister woke up & couldn't even get to the kitchen b/c there were too many gifts in the way & they had to open stuff to get there. Nonsense.

And they continue to keep the "it is all about the gifts" tradition alive & they're trying to push it on my kids. Makes me crazy. My 3yo is just figuring out what Christmas is all about & my MIL asked him what he wanted for Christmas. He replied, "birthday cake." She looked at me all confused & I had to explain that Christmas to him is Jesus' birthday so he's thinking there should be cake. She proceeded to hand him a Sears catalog & a crayon to pick out what Santa should bring him. :grumble: Whatever. Each of our kids are getting 2 gifts from us & the rest Santa Grandma is going to have to fork over. :tongue:

Bless you all you poor, poor retail workers! I used to wait tables on Black Friday & got the RUDEST people in that day. Jerks.

Awe, birthday cake, so cute!!

My bf works as a cook, and we have some server friends. I feel for them! I really think those of us in the service industry are unappreciated. The only people who have it worse are the ones on the Dirty Jobs show haha :laugh:
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Honey you are a better woman than I. Be patient smile till it hurts and don't hurt anyone, aka screaming brats stuck up house wives or ignorant teenagers!!!!! Happy Turkey Day!!!!!!!:drinker: :heart:
  • frithir
    frithir Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    OK, I was saving this for closer to Christmas but.....

Once upon a time, there was a couple named Raymond and Paulyne. In 1944, they had a daughter that they named Raymona but sadly for them, Raymona's mission here on earth was accomplished in a short time. She contracted Polio during that horrific world-wide epidemic that began in 1949 and passed in 1950.
    In 1951, they had a son that they named Dan and with that little bundle of renewed hope, began planning on having more children. When Dan was 6 months old, a particular medical problem that had plagued Paulyne since puberty began to worsen and with it came unwelcome news from her doctor. The doctor regretfully informed them that the only cure he could offer Paulyne was to perform a hysterectomy, which of course, would prevent her from ever having any more children. Raymond and Paulyne, being very spiritual people, prayed and meditated about this and both felt very strongly that Paulyne should not have the surgery and that indeed, she would again conceive.
    As time went on, the medical problem worsened, Paulyne did not conceive and in 1953, she had to have emergency surgery to remove her left ovary and fallopian tube. Again, the doctor urged them to agree to a total hysterectomy, still insisting that given Paulyne's medical condition, "there was absolutely no way she would ever conceive again" and added that next time, she might bleed to death or develop gangrene. Again, Raymond and Paulyne prayed and meditated about it and still were given the same answer.
    During all this, they had looked to adoption as a possible solution and had been actively pursuing that avenue. Raymond and Paulyne were professionally employed, successful people, well-respected and beloved leaders of the community, very active in their church...........in short, the empitome of the kind of people who were ideal candidates for adoption but strangely, attempt after attempt were met with obstacle after obstacle.......almost as if some cosmic force was telling them loudly and clearly that this was not going to happen.
    Fast forward to Christmas Eve 1955. It was tradition for both sides of the family to gather at Paulyne's parent's farm for a huge Christmas celebration. As the story goes, Paulyne, her mother and her sister had gone to town for some last minute supplies and just about dark, were hurrying back to the farm. As they were going along, Paulyne was telling her mother and sister that she and Raymond had finally decided that they would abandon any further attempts at adoption and that after the New Year, Paulyne would finally agree to the surgery. Her mother, who had been looking out the window, watching the scenery, turned to her and told her that she would conceive that night, that the baby would be born September 27th. and that she would be named after Paulyne's maternal grandmother. Almost as an afterthought, she added that it would not be necessary for Paulyne to go through with the surgery because when the baby was 3 months old, Paulyne would go through menapause and would never again be plagued with the on-going medical problem. Now her mother's track record as a 'Frithir' (Gaelic for "seer") was nothing short of astronomical but Paulyne, despite that astronomical track record and her rock-solid belief in miracles, was having a great deal of difficulty in seeing this as anything but a beautiful fairy tale.
    By the way............have I ever mentioned that I was born September 27, 1956, I am a she of the species and I was named after my maternal great-grandmother? Little side-note here: I was 3 months old when my mother began what the doctors like to refer to as "premature ovarian failure". In other words, she went through menapause and as a result, never had female problems again.
    This is an absolutely 100% true story! I have Mum's old records that document the medical facts and Aunt Joyce is still around and is more than willing to vouch for the it all.
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    OK, I was saving this for closer to Christmas but.....

Once upon a time, there was a couple named Raymond and Paulyne. In 1944, they had a daughter that they named Raymona but sadly for them, Raymona's mission here on earth was accomplished in a short time. She contracted Polio during that horrific world-wide epidemic that began in 1949 and passed in 1950.
    In 1951, they had a son that they named Dan and with that little bundle of renewed hope, began planning on having more children. When Dan was 6 months old, a particular medical problem that had plagued Paulyne since puberty began to worsen and with it came unwelcome news from her doctor. The doctor regretfully informed them that the only cure he could offer Paulyne was to perform a hysterectomy, which of course, would prevent her from ever having any more children. Raymond and Paulyne, being very spiritual people, prayed and meditated about this and both felt very strongly that Paulyne should not have the surgery and that indeed, she would again conceive.
    As time went on, the medical problem worsened, Paulyne did not conceive and in 1953, she had to have emergency surgery to remove her left ovary and fallopian tube. Again, the doctor urged them to agree to a total hysterectomy, still insisting that given Paulyne's medical condition, "there was absolutely no way she would ever conceive again" and added that next time, she might bleed to death or develop gangrene. Again, Raymond and Paulyne prayed and meditated about it and still were given the same answer.
    During all this, they had looked to adoption as a possible solution and had been actively pursuing that avenue. Raymond and Paulyne were professionally employed, successful people, well-respected and beloved leaders of the community, very active in their church...........in short, the empitome of the kind of people who were ideal candidates for adoption but strangely, attempt after attempt were met with obstacle after obstacle.......almost as if some cosmic force was telling them loudly and clearly that this was not going to happen.
    Fast forward to Christmas Eve 1955. It was tradition for both sides of the family to gather at Paulyne's parent's farm for a huge Christmas celebration. As the story goes, Paulyne, her mother and her sister had gone to town for some last minute supplies and just about dark, were hurrying back to the farm. As they were going along, Paulyne was telling her mother and sister that she and Raymond had finally decided that they would abandon any further attempts at adoption and that after the New Year, Paulyne would finally agree to the surgery. Her mother, who had been looking out the window, watching the scenery, turned to her and told her that she would conceive that night, that the baby would be born September 27th. and that she would be named after Paulyne's maternal grandmother. Almost as an afterthought, she added that it would not be necessary for Paulyne to go through with the surgery because when the baby was 3 months old, Paulyne would go through menapause and would never again be plagued with the on-going medical problem. Now her mother's track record as a 'Frithir' (Gaelic for "seer") was nothing short of astronomical but Paulyne, despite that astronomical track record and her rock-solid belief in miracles, was having a great deal of difficulty in seeing this as anything but a beautiful fairy tale.
    By the way............have I ever mentioned that I was born September 27, 1956, I am a she of the species and I was named after my maternal great-grandmother? Little side-note here: I was 3 months old when my mother began what the doctors like to refer to as "premature ovarian failure". In other words, she went through menapause and as a result, never had female problems again.
    This is an absolutely 100% true story! I have Mum's old records that document the medical facts and Aunt Joyce is still around and is more than willing to vouch for the it all.

Very Cool!