Protein Powder

Options
I've read that protein powder can be a good supplement to take to help alleviate hunger. Is that the case? Should it only be taken before/after a workout or is it a safe thing to add a shake every day?

Replies

• jaquelynny
    jaquelynny Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    i am not saying this in a smart alec type of way-its called a supplement because its supplements your diet, people like them because sometimes they are tasty almost always portable and convenient and cheap and a very easy way to add protein to your diet
    that being said- imo-food trumps always, more satisfying and has only what you add to it
    no one needs a protein shake. for that 150-200 cals give or take you can find hundreds of food options in place of it with protein-cottage cheese, eggs, turkey etc

all of that said - in my daily diet i take one after dinner and one after my workout, but my diet is written by a nutrition expert and i follow it to the letter
  • beth0277
    beth0277 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    That makes sense. And I will be working out just not potentially at the time I would be drinking one (well, before/after). I've just read a lot here on MFP and in my own reading that talks about increasing protein to help aid in weightloss and it seems a low calorie protein powder could be a good way to do that, in the place of a snack.
  • jaquelynny
    jaquelynny Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    well one thing you could say is, its hard to "want to" overeat protein shakes, lol
    its pretty controlled and that def helps dieters. member slim fast? gosh i lost like 20lbs on slim fast in highschool. but thats simply the controlled intake of the shakes. if your portion say was a controlled singles serving greek yogurt, it would be the same thing tho.
  • Torontonius
    Torontonius Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    most people (especially those who are also exercising) will benefit from a reduction of carbs and increase in protein to a ratio of 40/40/20 (carbs/protein/fat). Problem is 40% protein is hard for most people to eat, so a protein supplement is invaluable in getting to that point. body needs to be in positive nitrogen balance to retain muscle, lean muscle is metabolically active, protein is less likely to be stored as fat. that said, if you *can* get all your protein from natural foods eg: leanest cuts of beef, boneless chicken breast, etc your body will burn more calories metabolizing it vs. the quickly absorbed whey protein.
  • Habhide
    Options
    Just my $.02. I use protein powder or a protein drink as soon as I get back from the gym on weight days. I also have a smaller one before I go to the gym on weight days. It's a good way to make sure you have some extra protein in your system to fuel your workout and then to recover.
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I add some plain protein powder to my morning yogurt to help me reach my protein goal for the day. I don't really like eggs for breakfast.