why do I want to over eat with this bad cold? why do I think it will make me feel better?

Options
been maintaining for almost 2 years but now I am sick and want to overeat to make myself feel better (like that will work). Got to get another mindset. Eating way too many salty foods like chips. I think I am medicating myself with food. Seems like I don't feel anything when I eat, don't have to feel any pain (just like I do emotionally but this time physical)

I have to remind myself I will get thru this without lots of food. Anyone else having a problem with this and gotten thru it Most people don't eat when sick but not me. Have a terrible cold and the first thing I want to do is run to food

Replies

• Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I do the same when I have a cold and the opposite when I have a fever... maybe that's where the starve a fever, feed a cold myth originated. At any rate, I try to keep it under control but I also keep in mind that I am sick and my body needs food to fight off the infection.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing when I'm sick.. I feel like its better to over eat than under eat when ur sick tho... ur body needs calories to heal and repair, so treat urself if it makes u feel better, but try not to go too over board
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    because your brain is foggy from your sickness, what you need IS A HOT TODDY!,,, a few!!, You will feel good as new!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    because your brain is foggy from your sickness, what you need IS A HOT TODDY!,,, a few!!, You will feel good as new!

You might be right, you give me my laugh for today!
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I am almost to goal!! But I am suffering from a bad cold and been overeating too. I am 7 days into the cold. Hope we both feel better soon and can get back to our normal selves.
  • hilaria81
    hilaria81 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I just went through the same thing for about a week and did give in to my wanting to eat more (a few hundred calories a day). Somehow I lost 2 pounds that week, which is more than I usually lose. Maybe being sick burns more calories! (I doubt it, but...)
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I suppose when your body is sick you want more food for more energy to fight the illness along with more food to calm your nerves.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Mostly when I'm sick Im just laying around and I get bored quickly and easily...eating gives me something to do.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    The calories will help your body fight the cold. Give in...a couple of days of "overeating" won't kill you.
  • carlosjenno
    carlosjenno Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Eat curry. LOTS of curry!
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options

lol I agree when they say to eat if you want. Your body does need more nutrition to heal. I believe its the over eating everyday that makes you fat and not the over eating once in awhile. Its not what you eat from Christmas to New Years Eve, but what you eat from New Years Eve to Christmas. Logging everyday sure wakes me up and makes me accountable. Good luck! <3
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    When I get a cold I always have a craving for salty, deep fried foods. Last time I had fish and chips and it was sooooo good. So I would say limit it to one meal and drink lots of water or tea.
  • amyepperly
    amyepperly Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    When you feel bad you may be craving comfort foods. Also your body also needs extra energy to fight off whatever bug has caused the cold. If you want to avoid it maybe reach for hot tea instead.... flavored teas are good and Celestial Seasonings have echinacea tea with extra vitamin C.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way when I get a cold (also the opposite when I get a fever). When I have a cold, all I want to do is lie in bed, eat, and drink juice. I'm not sure whether these are physical cravings, or psychological (because face it, many of us have been taught the 'feed a cold, starve a fever' myth - so for many years, I followed it). Generally, I find sipping hot tea helps a lot (and helps if I have a sore throat). Gives my mouth something to do instead of eat, and is relaxing when I'm sick. That all said, I do agree that a couple days of overeating won't hurt. And when you're sick, you should be more worried about recuperating than focusing on calories. :smile:
  • brenn24179
    Options
    thank you all for your comments, geez it is weird I am starved when I have a cold. Maybe I do need to eat more for healing and give myself some slack. I went back to the gym today after two weeks, hope to get back on track. Thanks for reminding me it is ok sometimes to get off track just don't stay off track, that is when it is a problem!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I did the same last week when I had the cold - put on 4 lb (mostly water due to NEEDING chicken noodle soup =D). It's nearly off again.

Don't worry about it, have what you want till you feel better :)
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I am fighting off a bad cold right now, and for the first few days, I wanted lots of food. Especially cappuccinos. I indulged. Now my appetite is normal(although sometimes I feel like I'm coughing my lungs out:) ).
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Eat soup and toast with butter. Spoil yourself with honey in your tea and on your toast. You want comfort.
  • brenn24179
    Options
    feeling better, wished I had of gotten on antibiotics sooner. Also weighed this morning and for some reason did not gain weight. I guess like some of ya said ya need to eat for the healing.
  • bonneycc
    bonneycc Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have a cold right now too and I want to eat a bunch.