Healthy Korean Recipes?

2»

Replies

• hapawar
    hapawar Posts: 4 Member
    I saw an earlier post that says Koreans eat small amounts of rice and meats. That statement is half true. Koreans eat small amounts of meat but tons of rice. Rice with every meal, breakfast lunch and dinner. I am half Korean and my mom goes through a bag of rice and a giant jar of kimchi like it's nobody's business lol. She doesn't eat a ton of meat and in fact didn't even try meat until she was 18 when she came to the states because her family was poor and the cost was too high.

I have a few Korean recipes posted on my site www.raveaboutthis.com, and I intend to add more. I get amazing feedback on my Korean BBQ and cucumber kimchi which are posted on my site. My Korean BBQ marinade is low calorie (even lower calorie if you use splenda instead of sugar) and I use it on either flanken cut short ribs, or very thin sliced ribeye (you can use tenderloin but it's pricey). If you have access to buy the ribeye pre-cut that's great. Otherwise, if you must try to cut it yourself, make sure you do it when the meat is still partially frozen to make your life easier.

Another site I would recommend that has a terrific variety of Korean recipes and videos is www.maangchi.com. Feel free to message me if you want more recipes or ideas.
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Bumping
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,059 Member
    This thread is pure gold. More recipes please!
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    http://elizabethbryant.blogspot.com/2010/05/korean-beef.html

This is very good. I used very lean ground beef and followed the recipe using 3/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes and 3/8 cup brown sugar. Delicious!
  • nuvimi
    nuvimi Posts: 103 Member
    edited November 2014
    Japchae is pretty awesome, as long as you're not doing low carb: http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/japchae
  • FedGirlUSA
    FedGirlUSA Posts: 18 Member
    I'm half korean too, and love korean food. I've made some recipes off of Low Carb Linda Sue's website, and they are yummy! If you google 'Low Carb Linda,' it should come right up. I always make bulgogi or korean 'beef' (from pinterest) with truvia. I eat it with either small portion of brown rice. Or Linda's fake fried rice recipe....which I absolutely love.