Help me get started

Options
I'm getting back on track and wondering what is a good exercise plan. I want to run at least a few times a week, because I genuinely enjoy it, but I would also like to do a lot of weight training. I have a gym membership and also have Beachbody's Pump program at home along with free weights. Where do I get started? I read most of NROLFW but it turned me off a bit as it seemed to insinuate that if you needed to lose a lot (I have about 50 to lose) then it wasn't the right program for you. Ideas?

Replies

• wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to lose weight, just track your food and reduce your caloric intake. If you love running, great. Any exercise gives you a little more wiggle room on your calories and adds to your overall fitness level and cardiovascular health. As far as a weight routine, it's really about what you're trying to achieve. Are you trying to look long and lean? Light weights should be your focus, high reps. If you are wanting more power, strength and lean muscle mass, focus on heavy weights, lower reps. I particularly like doing no more than 2 different body parts each day with medium weights (a weight I can do without reaching complete failure on the last rep). Free weights in my personal opinion are much better than machines for growing lean muscle mass as you don't have a machine helping you in any way. http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/complete-mf-beginners-training-guide-0 is a good place to start I think.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Goals and preferences should dictate what you do.

To lose weight: eat less.
    To run a few times a week: run 3ish times per week
    To start weight training: start lifting.

How you run and how you lift will depend on your goals and the equipment you have available to you. Don't overthink it.

Give us some more specific info if you want more specific advice, but generally speaking, I'd suggest:

endurance running: 2x week
    HIIT: 1x week
    lifting: 3x week - look up convict conditioning, you are your own gym, and starting strength
    stretching/mobility work: 2x week
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Hi, I did the NROLFW and loved it! I liked the workouts-everything is laid out, simple to follow, 6 mo. of programming, thought me the basics and then some- I didn't know how to do any of the basic lifts or lifted anything more than 10 # before NROLFW. I learned how to squat, deadlift, do a chin up, bench and so much more! I didn't have weight to loose, but I wanted definition and heavy weights is the way to go. I also dropped a pant size in the process. You will loose weight by eating less.
    What is your goal? Good exercise plan is anything you will stick to depending on your goals.
  • beth0277
    beth0277 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    My goal...good question. Well to start off, I need to lose weight. I weight about 190 right now (highest ever) and am comfortable around 145. My cholesterol is a bit high, I have hormonal issues, all that good stuff, so I need to drop excess weight, first and foremost, for my health. I also just don't feel good in my skin. I'm naturally a small person so feeling this "doughy" is very unnatural to me. I just want to be lean and in shape. No fitness competitions or anything like that, just healthy and lean.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    beth0277 wrote: »
    My goal...good question. Well to start off, I need to lose weight. I weight about 190 right now (highest ever) and am comfortable around 145. My cholesterol is a bit high, I have hormonal issues, all that good stuff, so I need to drop excess weight, first and foremost, for my health. I also just don't feel good in my skin. I'm naturally a small person so feeling this "doughy" is very unnatural to me. I just want to be lean and in shape. No fitness competitions or anything like that, just healthy and lean.

Personally, I'd focus on diet as that will far and away have the greatest impact on your weight, health, and mood.

Once you get that dialed in, I'd add in 2-3 days of heavy lifting. New Rules, Starting Strength, Convict Conditioning are all good, go with whichever you prefer.

Once you're settled into that, I'd start working in some HIIT and some endurance cardio, plus some stretching to round out your routine.

But diet should be your first, biggest, and primary concern.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    beth0277 wrote: »

Personally, I'd focus on diet as that will far and away have the greatest impact on your weight, health, and mood.

Once you get that dialed in, I'd add in 2-3 days of heavy lifting. New Rules, Starting Strength, Convict Conditioning are all good, go with whichever you prefer.

Once you're settled into that, I'd start working in some HIIT and some endurance cardio, plus some stretching to round out your routine.

But diet should be your first, biggest, and primary concern.

^^^ That!