Need salty snack ideas

Options
I have low blood pressure and it always has been a problem. I'm pregnant and it got worst. My doc told me to up my intake of salt, but here's the deal: I hate salt in general.

While my husband salts almost anything, I'm the sweet tooth kind. The only thing I love with salt is corn (my husband says "salt with corn", but I can't just eat corn all the time (and I don't want to). Desperate, I will eat a pinch of salt, but that's disgusting!

I don't like chips, not a big fan of nuts, but I'll try to eat more (I like peanut butter!) and I don't like French fries either (It's too hard finding tasty ones, I've given up. Most taste like cardboard.).

So I'm looking for ideas! Whether you're in the same situation (or similar) or you have a weakness for salty snacks, I'm all ears!

I'll consider ANYTHING that is food! :) I'm pregnant so for the duration, I let myself crave stuff I shouldn't (in moderation), so I could go for snacks that are less healthy if need be.

Replies

• sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Salty foods are definitely my weakness. I can easily give you a list:

beef jerky
    French onion soup
    anything dipped in soy sauce
    shrimp
    all frozen dinners (I hate these but they are sources of sodium)
    V-8 juice
    ham
    bacon
    prepared soups (my favorite is Kirkland chicken Tortilla which is very low calorie but high sodium)
    most salad dressings
    popcorn with salt
    dill pickles
    olives

• Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Boiled peanuts
    Southern Recipe
    1/2 cup salt / gallon water
    boil / simmer green peanuts (raw) for 8-9 hours till soft
    Boiled in the shell
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    seaweed snacks
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    sodakat wrote: »
    Salty foods are definitely my weakness. I can easily give you a list:

beef jerky
    French onion soup
    anything dipped in soy sauce
    shrimp
    all frozen dinners (I hate these but they are sources of sodium)
    V-8 juice
    ham
    bacon
    prepared soups (my favorite is Kirkland chicken Tortilla which is very low calorie but high sodium)
    most salad dressings
    popcorn with salt
    dill pickles
    olives

She's got it down. Mmmmm jerky.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Cheese or pretzels
  • cropaway
    cropaway Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love edame with sea salt
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Pickles! I have low blood pressure as well, and pickles are my go-to. I also just have a pretty heavy hand with the salt shaker in my meals.
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    in for jerky.. and cashews
  • Yukatakaytee
    Yukatakaytee Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Bought salty cashews (that were more expensive than the non-salty kind) in bulk section. Turns out they are not salted! D:
    Thanks for the list! I love V-8! :) (and beef jerky, who doesn't?)
    I like edamame too so I'll get the frozen ones. :)
    olives are expensive, but we do buy some almost every week. I'll go through our reserves!

I wish I could have onion soup everyday...

I heard some cheese are saltier than others... We have cheddar, Jalsberg and sometimes swiss cheese. Are they very salty? Feta is too salty for me though.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I just made some roasted chickpeas. Rinse them out and then toss with a little olive oil and sprinkle with salt and your preferred seasonings. Bake on a foil-lined cookie sheet at 425 for 20 minutes.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Kale chips-- not a lot like regular chips, even though they try to sell them that way!
    Chinese takeout
    Salted nuts
    Like someone else suggested, regular V-8 juice! (I love that stuff).
    American cheese
    Feta cheese (often super salty)
    Meat snack sticks (like Slim Jims, though where I am a local company makes organic, yucky-chemical-free ones which are a favorite snack of mine)
    Soups-- I find it's easy to put a lot of salt in soup. Especially split pea soup and minestrone.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Oh, you may already know this, but drink more water than you normally would along with the salt. I believe that's what actually raises blood pressure with increased salt intake-- the extra water it makes you crave and retain.
  • Yukatakaytee
    Options
    Yeah... I know about the water. I drink low caffeinated tea and try to up my intake of water (which I already have to since I'm pregnant). I feel like I'm over-capacity! hahaha!

I don't think we have slim jims in Canada but I can look for those. I love meat (and back in my step-dad's hometown, they had salted cod to eat like that and it was sold in vending machines! probably the saltiest stuff I ever had!).

As a pregnant woman who never really have the "don't argue with a pregnant woman" issue. I think it's time I demand chinese take-out! :P I especially love cheap won-ton soup with these giant kleenex-like balls! (whatever happened to them??)
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Ramen noodles. I don't even like ramen noodles, but I know that my sodium must be low when I start craving them. Bouillon is pretty salty, too.

Did your doctor suggest eating more salty snacks? Just asking as my husband has low blood pressure/low resting heart rate and his doctor put him on magnesium supplements.
  • Yukatakaytee
    Options
    micth16: Yeah, my doc did say to up my salt intake.

nosaijao: How is not liking very salty stuff making me picky eater? I love meat, dairies, pretty much all veggies and fruits. I just generally don't like it if salty is the main flavour of a meal/dish/snack.

Besides, I loved most of all the suggestions made. I think you are seeing something that isn't here.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    maybe if you eat some kind of salty/sweet combo snack food? those probably require a lot of salt to combat the sweet so you might get more out of that.

out of curiosity, how much salt are you being asked to consume? from what I understand it's hard to stay low on salt so I imagine just reading labels of what you normally eat, an extra serving or two should get you there easily?

also cup o noodles, i think those have lots of salt without tasting too salty.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    cropaway wrote: »
    I love edame with sea salt

Now you're making me hungry. Such an excellent snack. <3

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Eat more deli meat and cheeses and canned goods, you should have no problem upping your salt intake that way.
    You can also add salt to sweets. It actually makes them better. Try adding a dash of salt to fruit, like melons. Makes them sweeter.
  • Yukatakaytee
    Options
    mmh, I do like salt on green apples. I forgot about that! Thanks!

And well, my doc was not specific, but he knows I don't like salt and won't go crazy. So I guess he means that anything is pretty much fine within reasonable limits. So far it's been better. I've had crackers with cheese and olives on top as a snack. Works for me as the crackers were more on the sweet side. I guess sweet/salty IS a great combo! :)