5'7" Ladies, Between 125-145?

Options
emilygetshappy
emilygetshappy Posts: 11
edited November 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
I've lost almost 40 pounds since last year!
Going from 183 lbs to 145 :) Yay! However, my goal weight is 130 and I've been at a plateau for months! How many calories are you guys eating? and any tips on breaking plateaus for those last 15 pounds?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! I'm too short for you but the less you have to lose, the tighter your logging needs to be.
  • jess_blonde
    jess_blonde Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and my goal is 140lbs though I'm currently sitting at 160 (boo). Last May (2013) I was my lowest weight -145lbs but I gained a bunch after getting married. I always find pushing through to get to the 140s the hardest, so you're a step ahead of me for now!

Maybe try changing up your fitness routine? Try out a new class or video or something?
  • candicane_06
    candicane_06 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That's me exactly! Currently at 142 ish, down from 150 in about 4 months. Very slow and kind of frustrating. I'm aiming for around 1800 calories per day, but some days I'm a few hundred over or under that. Feel free to add me.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    As lis said, all about being very good about your logging. Do you weigh your food? Do you have a "cheat" or high calorie day? Do you eat very differently daily (i.e. way over one day, normal the next, way under the next, etc, so never knowing your actual average intake?)?
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    My advice is to look into body fat % and determine if you actually have another 15lbs to lose. The range based on height is rather wide and arbitrary. I know at 5'8" that my lean body mass is quite high and that I naturally sit above what is recommended by bmi.

If you do have some body fat to lose, then hunker down and plan to lose it really slow. The last bit takes the longest and is healthiest when done at a very small deficit. Sure you can crash diet and lose it fast but from what I can tell it rarely lasts because its not true fat loss. We are made up of blood, water, bones, muscle and connective tissues- fluctuations in weight happen. Also looking at your measurements might help at this stage for measuring progress.
  • robinsvitakjones
    robinsvitakjones Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7 1/2. Starting weight (end of August) was 144.4. Current weight: 128.2. Goal weight 124.4. (Exactly 20 pounds) I've always been thin. I gave birth to my son at 143. So, when I stepped on the scale and realized I weighed MORE than when I gave birth, I was shocked! I try and net 1200 calories. I haven't plateaued yet, but I would try a different exercise to try and boost your body. If you do the elliptical, try kick boxing for a week for something different. They have lots of different stuff On Demand. Just an idea! 40 lbs is GREAT!!! You're doing good! :)
  • misscem94
    misscem94 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss so far!

I was stuck in the 145-7 region for ages! You do have to be meticulous about your logging, and I found I had to shake up the exercise a little. After that, the pounds began to drop again, and I am now sitting at 135.9 (135 . something anyway, last time I weighed). When I wanted to lose the last few pounds, I was eating around 1880 a day.
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I'm too short for this thread, but here is some general advice:

Your calorie allotment is going to depend on how active you are. If you go to the "goals" tab, MFP will help you determine how many calories you should eat.

Keep in mind that your body is smaller than it used to be, so eating the same amount of calories that made you lose weight before will not work. And exercising will burn fewer calories than it used to.

Be careful about exercise calories. Some people say to eat them all back or most of them, but that doesn't really work when you get closer to your goal unless you know exactly how much you're eating (which is usually underestimated) and how much was burned (which is usually overestimated). I usually advise people to not eat back more than half, just to be sure they don't go over.

If you put a higher activity level, MFP will automatically give you more calories because it assumes that your job requires more activity. Be careful not to "double dip" by logging exercise that is counted into your activity level. Even "sedentary" or "desk job" settings are over BMR, which means they allow for basic movement and light cleaning.

If you're at a plateau for more than a couple weeks, it means you're eating at maintenance. Your body has adapted to how much you're eating. You need to eat less and/or exercise more. Log carefully because there isn't room to go over and still lose weight like there was at the beginning of your weight loss journey. You could also do a "reset" some weeks, maybe once every month or two, and eat at maintenance (change your goal to "maintain my current weight") which can help people lose if they're at a lower calorie plateau. But most of the time plateaus are caused by eating too much (more than the person thinks), not too little.

MFP does not update your calorie goal without you manually resetting it through the goals tab. If you weigh-in at the weigh-in tab rather than the goal setting tab, you will notice that your weight loss goal will slowly decrease. I had my goal set to 0.5 lb/week and I lost a few pounds and noticed my daily calorie allotment wasn't dropping. I looked at my "goals" tab and saw that I was set to lose 0.4 lb/week. But once I reset my goals back to 0.5 lb/week my calorie count dropped to where it should be to maintain that rate of loss. So watch your "goals" tab at each weigh-in to make sure you're still going to lose weight!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    5'7", around 140 lbs. I eat 1900-2000.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and have been maintaining at 130 pounds for over three years now. My maintenance calories are 1700 PLUS exercise calories (I'm sedentary when I'm not actively exercising.) Good luck! (*)
  • 89Madeline
    89Madeline Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7'' (5'77 to be precise) and my goal weight is 143 pounds, i'm now 145. From then on, I will keep working out (cardio and strength) to tone up further but I have no specific intention to lose more weight necessarily.
  • emilygetshappy
    Options
    Thank you guys so much for your help! I'm hoping to switch up my exercise and net around 1200 calories :)
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    5'7", started at 181. Currently at 146-8. Before I gained all the weight, I was 125-135. Currently losing at around 1500-1600 calories per day, but very slowly. I'm going to have to scale back some more.