Joining the United States Army, need to lose 25 pounds.

Options
CommanderKillian
CommanderKillian Posts: 10
edited November 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
Bio
-weight: 200 pounds
-height: 5'8''

I started walking/jogging 4 miles a day through a paved road for jogging, its 2 miles long, it also has a forest path that's hilly which is also 2 miles long its beside the paved road.. (I drive to the end of the jogging road and then run the forest which puts me at the entrance, thus i have to jog back to my car, totaling out to 4 miles roughly or more). I start with walking through the hilly forest path and then I pick up my walking speed to power walking, jogging and running once I hit the pavement.

My meals consist of between 1000-1500 a day, 3 meals, pre-running shake, 1 snack (85 pumpkin seeds ate throughout the day).

Is this sufficient enough? or do I have to weight lift to see significant lose in fat?

Replies

• slider728
    slider728 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    What kind of timeframe you looking at? Have you signed and you need to lose before MEPS/basic or you losing weight before enlisting?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Bio

I

My meals consist of between 1000-15000 a day, 3 meals, pre-running shake, 1 snack (85 pumpkin seeds ate throughout the day).

You're going to gain a LOT of weight with these numbers.
    0067808 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I can't help you with the numbers - but well done firstly on planning to get yourself into shape, and secondly with your aim of joining the Army - its nearly Remembrance Sunday in the UK and I'm completely in awe of anyone who serves their country. Good luck and God bless.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    slider728 wrote: »
    What kind of timeframe you looking at? Have you signed and you need to lose before MEPS/basic or you losing weight before enlisting?

Yeah, this. We have to know the timeframe you need to lose it in. Is it to sign the contract or before shipping off? Basically, weight loss is just calories in vs. calories burned. The exercise is a good idea to get you physically prepared for what you're about to endure and to give you some wiggle room on your diet plan/weight loss schedule. The addition of a strength training routine would only help as the more lean muscle you have the more calories you burn but unless your signing/shipping sometime next year, you won't see much muscle growth but you will burn calories repairing muscle fibers. What you have now is generally what you're going to have to work with as far as muscle is concerned. However, it will help with strength and muscle endurance depending on the type of weight training plan.
  • CommanderKillian
    Options

Losing weight before enlistment, I already spoke to a recruiter and he told me to lose weight so I can meet the pre-requisites for height and weight.
  • CommanderKillian
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Bio

I

My meals consist of between 1000-15000 a day, 3 meals, pre-running shake, 1 snack (85 pumpkin seeds ate throughout the day).

lol typo.

• CommanderKillian
    Options
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »

Yeah, this. We have to know the timeframe you need to lose it in. Is it to sign the contract or before shipping off? Basically, weight loss is just calories in vs. calories burned. The exercise is a good idea to get you physically prepared for what you're about to endure and to give you some wiggle room on your diet plan/weight loss schedule. The addition of a strength training routine would only help as the more lean muscle you have the more calories you burn but unless your signing/shipping sometime next year, you won't see much muscle growth but you will burn calories repairing muscle fibers. What you have now is generally what you're going to have to work with as far as muscle is concerned. However, it will help with strength and muscle endurance depending on the type of weight training plan.

I'd like to ship out in the fall for basic, I got from now till then to lose 25 pounds of pure fat.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

lol typo.

First, don't torture yourself by eating too little. Set your goal to a sustainable rate. If you're in deficit, you will lose. You've got this!
  • ourtruelovewillneverdie
    Options
    I'm honestly surprised your recruiter didn't tell you to low carb it up. Most do. I was in the Army, but my requirements were different as a female. Does your recruiting office have PT days for future recruits? Ask about that if you want someone to work out with. I would say aim for at least 1500 calories a day. Don't under eat. Try and drop some weight with diet and exercise. If you don't have that long to wait I would try low carb, but it is not for everyone. If worse comes to worse aim for getting your measurements lower so if you have to be taped at MEPS you can make it in under body fat percentage. Good luck. Best choice I ever made by enlisting years ago.
  • CommanderKillian
    Options
    I'm honestly surprised your recruiter didn't tell you to low carb it up. Most do. I was in the Army, but my requirements were different as a female. Does your recruiting office have PT days for future recruits? Ask about that if you want someone to work out with. I would say aim for at least 1500 calories a day. Don't under eat. Try and drop some weight with diet and exercise. If you don't have that long to wait I would try low carb, but it is not for everyone. If worse comes to worse aim for getting your measurements lower so if you have to be taped at MEPS you can make it in under body fat percentage. Good luck. Best choice I ever made by enlisting years ago.

Thank you, I'll see what I can do. I just wan't to lose 25 pounds and then maintain my 175 and build an athletic form.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Did the recruiter give you a plan? They usually do, or have one on hand. They also have PT days on weekends generally. Do it.
  • CommanderKillian
    Options
    No lol damn. I got short handed.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You should ask someone who was in the army what kind of stuff you'll have to do once you're in and start doing that stuff now, like push-ups or whatever.

If you're fat, they're going to give you less food and make you work hard. I've heard that. I know the Navy does it. I guess they really don't play when it comes to getting people into shape, lol.

It's a noble goal and I applaud you for going after it.

Good luck!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It is recommended that you don't try to lose more than 2lbs a week. With your low calorie count and exercise, it looks like you're over doing it. I would suggest aiming for no more than 2lbs, but if you're like most of us, you'll have days that you struggle to eat back enough exercise calories and you'll end up losing more quickly by accident anyway.
  • FlashMorehouse
    FlashMorehouse Posts: 138 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    nosajjao wrote: »
    you should join the Air Force

This.

I am in the Army Reserve and have been in the Air Force. Join the Air Force from somebody who knows.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    No lol damn. I got short handed.

Call him up then. It benefits him to get you in.
  • fswku
    fswku Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm your height, although I've got a few years on you (I'm 32).

-Run 3x/week (6km now, pushing that to 7km next week)
    -Eat at least 1200 calories/day
    -Stay below my net goal, which is 1310 right now. Today I ate 1691, but I earned 544 from my run this morning, so 1147 net.

I started MFP and C25K at the end of August and I've already lost 22lbs. So basically, if you're working out regularly and really watching your intake (log EVERYTHING), you'll have no problem dropping 25lbs by this time next year. I'm hoping to see 70lbs gone by the end of April.

Way to go on deciding to join the military though! Wasn't able to go that route when I was in college, but I definitely respect those that do.
  • CommanderKillian
    Options
    nosajjao wrote: »
    you should join the Air Force

This.

I am in the Army Reserve and have been in the Air Force. Join the Air Force from somebody who knows.

I'm going 11x with option 40 hopefully. Either way that's my goal. I aim to jump high.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I think it's a great idea that you're working on your running, since you're going to have to do a lot of that when you get in. Your calories might be a little low for a male of your age and height. Too low and you'll be burning not just fat, but a ton of lean muscle as well. Your idea about adding in weight training is excellent. It's never too early in your program to start getting stronger. Even with a deficit, although you may not build much muscle, strength training will help you preserve the muscle you already have so you aren't a flabby weakling when you get through losing the extra weight. Good luck! (*)

ETA: Maybe he won't take you seriously until you start showing progress on your fitness...My husband (USMC) says you should talk to another recruiter at another office and research your options online to get the best deal. Your recruiter doesn't sound like he's putting forth much effort for you. A lot of guys get screwed out of options and bonuses when they go in because their recruiters are doing the bare minimum.
  • CommanderKillian
    CommanderKillian Posts: 10
    edited November 2014
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    I think it's a great idea that you're working on your running, since you're going to have to do a lot of that when you get in. Your calories might be a little low for a male of your age and height. Too low and you'll be burning not just fat, but a ton of lean muscle as well. Your idea about adding in weight training is excellent. It's never too early in your program to start getting stronger. Even with a deficit, although you may not build much muscle, strength training will help you preserve the muscle you already have so you aren't a flabby weakling when you get through losing the extra weight. Good luck! (*)

ETA: Maybe he won't take you seriously until you start showing progress on your fitness...My husband (USMC) says you should talk to another recruiter at another office and research your options online to get the best deal. Your recruiter doesn't sound like he's putting forth much effort for you. A lot of guys get screwed out of options and bonuses when they go in because their recruiters are doing the bare minimum.

and because of that I started filling out a ACE packet on GoArmy.com (Army Career Explorer) I'm basically gathering all my information and once its filled out I'm supposed to contact a recruiter.