Easy on the Knees

Options
Hello All,

I'm doing pretty well with the dieting, but need some easy exercises to do. I have a partial tear in my meniscus which I am unable to fix until the new year. Any suggestions other than walking?

Thank you!

Replies

• Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    You don't need any exercises. Just worry about what you are eating and let your body heal properly. weightless is 80% diet. No kidding!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    But if you want to exercise - walking is probably the best idea. That, or swimming?
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Swimming or water aerobics are the lowest impact you can go but you shouldn't try to do too much and focus on your eating. You don't want to cause even more damage.
  • bivanusro
    bivanusro Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hello, I also have rather poor knees - or maybe I am just too big for them :D - and since pools are quite rare in my location , the solution I've used several times is working with the upper body muscles while sitting down. You can use small dumbbells and a hardtop chair or , if you have access to a gym , use weight apparatus. A knee holder (orthotic) would be good so you know for sure the knee will be protected.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I'm gonna second the swimming if you like it, but avoid the frog kicks on the breaststroke. I got into swimming because of knee injuries joint issues.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Okay this is NOT what I was expecting.

Swimming
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I had my meniscus repaired 2 years ago, but also have arthritis in the same knee. I calorie-counted my way to weight loss, and walked my way to fitness. Eventually, as I got stronger and fitter, I traded some of the walking for elliptical sessions.
    BTW - I've also added weight lifting, mostly upper body, though I do bodyweight squats now that my legs are stronger.
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    They have those Sit and Be Fit videos on youtube
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I have to workout at home. I have a stationary bike but wanted something else to add to my routine. I just got the Sunny Air Walk Trainer, which is on sale at Walmart right now for $77 (and free shipping). Walmart also has the Gazelle on sale right now, too. The Air Walk is very sturdy equipment for the price although it has it's limitations. I'm very happy with it and one of the reasons is that I don't move my knees, which needed a break from the bike. The action is very much like cross-country skiing. I suggest you read the reviews and questions on Amazon to best determine if it's for you.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Youtube has lots of chair exercises. You might like boxing. It can be a great aerobic workout:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g42Gv8bOz-U
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy9oG27WGEc
  • babol23
    babol23 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Cycling and hiking.
  • bbachmayer
    bbachmayer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    when i had a tear in the meniscus, I used the rowing machine. It was really mostly arm work with no stress on the knees.